Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Just when I thought it was to quiet from the FAA

Reaction score
WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) today announced the eight companies that will assist the Federal government in establishing requirements for future suppliers of Remote Identification (Remote ID).
The FAA selected the following companies to develop technology requirements for future Remote ID UAS Service Suppliers (USS):
"Airbus", AirMap, "Amazon", Intel, One Sky, Skyward, T-Mobile, and Wing. I had a feeling Amazon was partially behind this, due to the fact they want Drone Package delivery and want our (Rec.and comerical pilot's) airspace. Airbus I don't get? They are a European Aircraft Manufacturer, Like Boeing here in the U.S.

But that's just my 2 cents..
Art

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish
I received that same email this morning. Just another example of the government becoming, more & more, "Big Brother", and another step towards a Dystopian government.

Reactions: aw. pier
I rec'd it as well. Looking at the list of "vendors," I can see the dollar signs at which they are looking. I am envisioning something along the line of a small, GPS equipped device that interacts with the cell system that we will be required to purchase and pay subscription fees. I cannot see a traditional aircraft transponder type device for UAS's. Too big, too costly, and required certification periodically not to mention the fact that with the altitude at which most UAS's fly, they would not even register on FAA radar systems.
I know, Amazon really needs the money. I am wondering what happens when we wish to fly in area without cell coverage.

I rec'd it as well. Looking at the list of "vendors," I can see the dollar signs at which they are looking. I am envisioning something along the line of a small, GPS equipped device that interacts with the cell system that we will be required to purchase and pay subscription fees. I cannot see a traditional aircraft transponder type device for UAS's. Too big, too costly, and required certification periodically not to mention the fact that with the altitude at which most UAS's fly, they would not even register on FAA radar systems.
I know, Amazon really needs the money. I am wondering what happens when we wish to fly in area without cell coverage.
Good luck. I'd like to see them try to force all drone owners. Like I'm really gonna pay the government a subscription fee to participate in a hobby that I OWN the item.

Good luck. I'd like to see them try to force all drone owners. Like I'm really gonna pay the government a subscription fee to participate in a hobby that I OWN the item.

Even if you purchase a car outright, you still are legally obligated to pay for not only a vehicle registration, but provide proof that you have paid for insurance as well. Of course, not all drivers do that... :(

Reactions: 7cyclops
One of my points being, where they say " The FAA selected the following companies to develop technology requirements for future Remote ID": Amazon and T-Mobile are not tech companies.

I think DJI was on that list in December or January along with a hobby store or RC something,,,help please.Evidently they don't like what drone are going thru right now,all the changes in Financial stability. If you don't have a lot of money 'you ain't nothin" Keith C.

The method they will probably employ to enforce this may be to require firmware updates from the major drone manufacturers that will restrict or prevent flights that either are not device equipped or out of range.

The method they will probably employ to enforce this may be to require firmware updates from the major drone manufacturers that will restrict or prevent flights that either are not device equipped or out of range.
And how are they goingoing to force owners to install such an update? Updates on current, as well as older, drones don't "auto update".

Last edited:
Reactions: 7cyclops
I think Brendan Schulman found out he is still wearing knickers when he thought he was wearing Big Boy pants. DJI thought they were going to force their own version of Remote ID through and scoop the market again. Could explain a lot of their pullout from the US market (along with cutbacks due to Covid-19).

Looks like the FAA is once again letting the big bucks run the show (no surprise there, especially with the dingbat at the helm of the organization).

I think Brendan Schulman found out he is still wearing knickers when he thought he was wearing Big Boy pants. DJI thought they were going to force their own version of Remote ID through and scoop the market again. Could explain a lot of their pullout from the US market (along with cutbacks due to Covid-19).

Looks like the FAA is once again letting the big bucks run the show (no surprise there, especially with the dingbat at the helm of the organization).
DJI hasn't "pulled out of" the US market. They just released a new drone, and (legally, I can't say much more, other than) there's another DJI being announced/released soon).

DJI hasn't "pulled out of" the US market. They just released a new drone, and (legally, I can't say much more, other than) there's another DJI being announced/released soon).
Sorry for my misstating. They are cutting back on customer support in the US. Maybe not as drastically as Yuneec did, but definitely cutting heads.

And how are they goingoing to force owners to install such an update? Updates on current, as well as older, drones don't "auto update".
I have 2 DJI products that will not allow me to start up unless the latest firmware has been downloaded. This may be a progressive series of events. Perhaps older drones will not require updates but as they are phased out, the new ones will. I have seen this in other tech products.

Sorry for my misstating. They are cutting back on customer support in the US. Maybe not as drastically as Yuneec did, but definitely cutting heads.
That, I understand...tho, I don't after understand why either did what they did. Customer service & tech super are two areas you don't want to cut back on. That's how you lose customers...and, losing customers is exactly what's been happening with Yuneec.

I thought an interesting line from that email was:

"The technology is being developed simultaneously with the proposed Remote ID rule. Application requirements will be announced when the final rule is published. "

So the rule requiring the technology hasn't passed yet, but apparently there is no doubt that it will.

One of you guys said it. Big bucks! Look at the list of lobbyists and I would bet $$ the 2 lists are almost identical, maybe not but I doubt it. Airbus that's a different story in itself. Airbus is funded by who? I think we all know that answer. If you look at the FAA'S history of major changes forced down our throats they always follow Europe's lead.
Pay close attention to what's going on across the pond, that's how we will end up here in not so free America.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Amazon "needs the money"??? Take a look at their stock reports.

• Haha
Reactions: DoomMeister

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval