Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lakeside Parade

Reaction score
Having finished 20 initial 'test flights' with the Typhoon H, I now have enough level of trust in it to do some slightly more adventurous lakeside flying. So down to the heath I went, just before sunset yesterday, found a new fly site very close to the local lake, set up, and had 2 of the most perfect and enjoyable flights I have ever had. That machine was veritably nailed to the sky while I was panning about and there was no loss of video or GPS for the entire session, despite getting to the max 400 ft high and out a fair way further.

Interesting things on the ground too, some very dry grass and the recent heat-wave led to a fire that took out about a quarter of our main heath in the town, so some bits are a bit blacker than usual !

Also got a new appreciation for 60 FPS, which makes our pans extra silky-smooth.

Reactions: Uneek_Pilot
Whoops! A close shave to that tree at 1:06.

Nice smooth video.

If you would permit me, Can I offer a bit of advice?

With a length of 5:56 your video edit is a bit on the long side if you want to keep your audience engaged. At such a length you are in danger of the viewer getting bored with it and not watching to the end. Also, at such a length, you run a greater risk of the video footage being repetitive. Often you can show just as much scenery in a two minute video as a six minute video unless, of course, you are using footage captured from flights at different locations. I usually aim for a video of between 1:30 and 3:30 if the footage is from a single location and if my videos are close to 3:30 I have some difficulty trying to avoid repetition...sometimes failing.

I also think that your edit could have benefited from some colour enhancement: Turn up the vibrance adding a bit of contrast and turn down the exposure a notch or two. Maybe add a bit of saturation but be careful about that since too much saturation can make your video look sort of false if you see what I mean.

I always shoot my video at 30fps and I've never shot at 60fps with my TH. But I must say that your video was silky smooth. I think I'll give 60fps a go and see what I come up with. Your video just might change my habbits in that regard. Old dog learning new tricks you might say.

Thanks for the comments FV. That wasn't an accidental near miss - it was a calculated close-pass, which are kinda my signature thing if you look at my past UAV vids - nearly all of them have at least one of these moves ! Having said that, this particular close pass wasn't as good as I would have liked because muggins here lost his nerve a bit, and dragged up a little too early :)

Slightly disappointed that you didn't like my grade - every single shot in that had been carefully colour balanced to reflect the colours I saw when I was there. It is very easy to turn up vibrance / saturation too much (I see so many tastelessly over-saturated drone vids it's not funny !), so I was going for realistic, natural colours under muted dusk lighting, which I think I pretty much achieved, with maybe a couple of exceptions...

And I'm afraid I like nice long UAV videos that slowly tell a story and take their sweet time doing it ! Conversely I actually get frustrated by the 2 minute vids that seem to me hurried, and often don't have time to show the landscape properly, or for long enough, or in as much rewarding detail as I'd like...

Lastly, I have to confess I am less interested in audience engagement than I am in producing the sort of video I want to watch ! :)

But hey ho, we're all different - life's rich tapestry etc etc - fortunately youtube has enough room for all of us !

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments FV. That wasn't an accidental near miss - it was a calculated close-pass, which are kinda my signature thing if you look at my past UAV vids - nearly all of them have at least one of these moves ! Having said that, this particular close pass wasn't as good as I would have liked because muggins here lost his nerve a bit, and dragged up a little too early :)

Slightly disappointed that you didn't like my grade - every single shot in that had been carefully colour balanced to reflect the colours I saw when I was there. It is very easy to turn up vibrance / saturation too much (I see so many tastelessly over-saturated drone vids it's not funny !), so I was going for realistic, natural colours under muted dusk lighting, which I think I pretty much achieved, with maybe a couple of exceptions...

And I'm afraid I like nice long UAV videos that slowly tell a story and take their sweet time doing it ! Conversely I actually get frustrated by the 2 minute vids that seem to me hurried, and often don't have time to show the landscape properly, or for long enough, or in as much rewarding detail as I'd like...

Lastly, I have to confess I am less interested in audience engagement than I am in producing the sort of video I want to watch ! :)

But hey ho, we're all different - life's rich tapestry etc etc - fortunately youtube has enough room for all of us !
If that is your taste then who am I to argue. And if you achieved the look of the colour grading then, again, who am I to judge.

Like I say, if it were my footage I'd have made it a bit more vibrant...but that's my taste.

Nice video anyway:)

Reactions: AeroJ
Wow! Great videos, this is beautiful man I'm still a newbie and hopefully to learn more.
Thanks dude. Yeah, if you keep your camera in manual mode, and put a bit of work into the edit you can get some pretty nice results with an H...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval