Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Learned a valuable lesson today...

Reaction score
I was getting a low level video around an old abandoned church yesterday. The trees were heavy with spanish moss which added to it's intrigue. I'm in pilot mode with avoidance off and maneuvering under an old oak and between the hanging moss. I rounded the back corner of the church and between the church and the trees, lost too many satellites. Ouch. Luckily no real damage except to my ego. I'm just a tiny bit smarter today.

Reactions: Rayray
I was getting a low level video around an old abandoned church yesterday. The trees were heavy with spanish moss which added to it's intrigue. I'm in pilot mode with avoidance off and maneuvering under an old oak and between the hanging moss. I rounded the back corner of the church and between the church and the trees, lost too many satellites. Ouch. Luckily no real damage except to my ego. I'm just a tiny bit smarter today.
Am I right in assuming that when you rounded the back corner of the church you flew out of LOS or where you following it? Losing satellites doesn't mean you will have a disaster on your hands if you can see the aircraft.

Glad it worked out for you. Any lesson learned is always a good thing. I'd love to see the video...any chance of posting it?

Am I right in assuming that when you rounded the back corner of the church you flew out of LOS or where you following it? Losing satellites doesn't mean you will have a disaster on your hands if you can see the aircraft.

Glad it worked out for you. Any lesson learned is always a good thing. I'd love to see the video...any chance of posting it?

Yes, rounded the corner of the church and under a large oak tree with lots of moss.
I had a visual on the Typhoon H but was too close to the spanish moss for my amateur reaction time when I had the LOS. Sorry but due to the extreme embarrassment I deleted that video segment and re shot it just to test the Typhoon for damage.
If you will forgive my amateur skills with the Typhoon (this is my third time in the air with it) and video editing, here is a link to the full video sans the crash:

Actually this site is an abandoned movie set for Tim Burton's "Big Fish" movie.

Last edited:
What a tremendous location to practice and develop video and aircraft control skills! Although you experienced an incident it was about as good a place as any for something to happen with a low potential for serious damage. A great learning experience! One you will benefit greatly from as time goes on.

A word of caution with your music choice. Although I do like your selection the song is copyright protected and may be cause to have your video pulled from You Tube if they receive a violation complaint. That's one of the more difficult things in making videos that include music. Searching for copyright free or Creative Commons music that is legal to use, and that doesn't cost a fortune in residual demands from the people that own the copyright.

Keep practicing. I'l almost kill to have a set like that open for aerial filming. So many opportunities there.

...<snip>... Sorry but due to the extreme embarrassment I deleted that video segment and re shot it just to test the Typhoon for damage.
...<snip>...
Don't be embarrassed. You learned a lesson and that's nothing to be embarrassed about. Remember that even the 'professionals' have 'Oh Sh*t' moments.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daps20