Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Mantis CE to FCC mod?

Reaction score
Hello,

does anyone know how to switch from CE to FCC in Mantis? I'm in Europe but I'll be travelling to USA and I'd like to have better range.

You should have bought yours in the USA while you were there. The European models are CE. With GPS safeguard. This goes as well for DJI.

Yes, some models of DJI you can spoof the gps location with Android apps ( Will not work iOS phones). But its more important which firmware you use. Yuneec seems to hard-wire there boards with the correct zone of FW- when you update it with an US version-- it loads- but when you check it still is the E version. I had this on a Typhoon H I had a few years ago. I also managed to fix my Breeze controller with an US- FW update. I didn't even bother to update the Breeze to US- because it uses Wifi and there is no differene of range anyway. One more thing I did buy a DJI Mavic pro last year in the USA and kept it update with US -FW - it still has an incredible range here in Europe. I am flying to the States in a month and will be picking up the Mantas Q while there, and bringing it back. I will let you know if its a similar story.

FYI: updating the breeze with FCC FW is not the best idea, if you have a european smartphone. USA has a bit different regulations and the FCC Breeze will use some channels that are not available to use in Europe, and your smartphone will not see it if the Breeze chooses one of those channels.

As for Typhoon H, I heard people succeeded in changing the FW fully to FCC mode, and it worked, because the range was bigger and the connection time was faster. I'm still not exactly sure how to do it though.

Yes, some models of DJI you can spoof the gps location with Android apps ( Will not work iOS phones). But its more important which firmware you use. Yuneec seems to hard-wire there boards with the correct zone of FW- when you update it with an US version-- it loads- but when you check it still is the E version. I had this on a Typhoon H I had a few years ago. I also managed to fix my Breeze controller with an US- FW update. I didn't even bother to update the Breeze to US- because it uses Wifi and there is no differene of range anyway. One more thing I did buy a DJI Mavic pro last year in the USA and kept it update with US -FW - it still has an incredible range here in Europe. I am flying to the States in a month and will be picking up the Mantas Q while there, and bringing it back. I will let you know if its a similar story.
I have bought one in US and imported to Europe last week, works well and have a good range .But this way isn't cheap! Regards from Germany M.C.20181206_175033.jpeg

Reactions: DroneCalzone
I have bought one in US and imported to Europe last week, works well and have a good range .But this way isn't cheap! Regards from Germany M.C.

Thanks for the info, could you answer some follow up questions? When you say good range, how many meters do you have in mind? Can you describe what conclusions can we take from that image? I can see that your mantis broadcasts on 5,1 GHz (+/-).

My actually stand for now is aprox......
2000m @ 50m / high with some other modifications on Mantis and Controller.
Regards M.C.

Reactions: DroneCalzone
Hi guys fairly new to Mantis q. Was flying fine for a week and now it wont connect . Wifi shows up but on the app drone idnt connecting. Cant fly! Can anybody help please bc yuneec is impossible to get ahold of

I am aware, I was asking just out of curiosity ;)

With boosted antennas, you should fairly see and notice a good distance and better video reception. There are good and bad china knockoffs, so do your homework before buying. The most common are the parabolic, next are the advance are the FPVLR antenna, costly and dependable, I myself am a FPVLR user.

Here in the states, there are no FCC police. SARS, construction, and first responders uses boosted antenna in areas where reception are low in signal strength, with lots of obstructions or high geomag interference. This will give the pilot an advantage, but do not alter/mod your drone(s) inboard antenna system.

Good luck, and take lots of footage, and have fun here in the states, and if by chance that you cannot find an antenna of your liking, my best advice if flying here and unsure about the regulations, ask a LEO if you see one, Ranger, or the locals with a friendly smile. I find this is better than a boosted antenna.

Again, have fun and welcome in America in advance.

Hello,

does anyone know how to switch from CE to FCC in Mantis? I'm in Europe but I'll be travelling to USA and I'd like to have better range.

I don’t know about the mantis build firmware package, but you should have a build for Europe and US. And to add, do not forget to change your anti flicker to 60Hz. I know this is used indoors, but find it useful flying at night.

hello, mibcam and everyone else too. First off, nice work mibcam. I'm a newbie to droning and clueless as you will soon see. I see what you've done to your drone but what I don't see are links to the parts or just the parts names and model #s. Can you direct me as to where I may buy them? Also, the drone itself is it, I remember seeing somewhere online an open Mantis Q but I don't remember seeing where the modded antenna connects up. I know this is a big ask but can you show this to us plz. Thank you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval