Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Mantis Q cannot bring up geo map

Reaction score
I recently bought a Mantis Q from Affer. My assumption is it is a refurbished model that came even with the transport bag. I found that my Pixel phone would not support live video from the Q. I then bought an AT&T phone which has worked well with Mantis. My question is about the geo map function. Does any one know if the phone has to have a cellular connection to provide the full functions such as the map display. I have Verizon and have set up a Hotspot with my Pixel to the AT&T phone, but still no success. This is not my first drone or RC plane. I also fly the Typhoon H.

For the map you need a cellular or WiFi connection. I just double checked it with my iPhone XS. Forgot to put it in Airplane mode first so I had the basic map display that covers a good sized area around you. I then put it in airplane mode and switched the map display to satellite map and only had the screen that was displayed with the basic map all outside of that was blank. I then enabled WiFi on the phone and got the satellite data when scrolling to a new area. I then turned off WiFi and enabled cellular data and scrolled to a different area of the map. It took longer to get the satellite data, but it did start displaying it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply. If I have Google maps turned on on the AT&T phone which is connected to my Pixel phone hot spot. Does wifi engage both duties ,the drone and the Pixal3 ? Don't sweat the answer I know it's more of an answer for an engineer.

When I had airplane mode enabled (no cellular, WiFi, or Bluetooth) I still had connection to the drone using the RC with the USB cable to supply the video feed.

Once I enabled WiFi I was able to get the map data. So if you use the Pixel as a hotspot and connect the AT&T to it via WiFi you should be good to go for the map in Yuneec Pilot app as well as Google Map app.

Thanks very much for the analysis. I will try again. I take it that the controller to drone signal is 2.4mhz. One last question is about the follow- me. It's seems quirky and is hard to initiate.

2.412-2.462 GHz
2.4 GHz WiFi
125 mW
5.18-5.24 GHz
5 GHz WiFi
168 mW
5.745-5.825 GHz
5 GHz WiFi
319 mW
Power levels are FCC, values may be lower elsewhere.

FollowMe is something I have not tried with the MantisQ. The implementation is dependent upon GPS accuracy of the aircraft and the phone being used to run the Yuneec Pilot app. For this to work the location services have to be enabled on the phone and the Yuneec Pilot app has to have permission to use it.

GOOD EVENING DoomMeister . I finally solved my Geo Map concern. It was the simple matter of registering the software.
You have got to be kidding me! You have to register and sign in to get the map to display? That is goofy.

Glad you figured that one out. That goes in the log book for fixes!

Reactions: WTFDproject
Further testing on the phone. When I deleted my Google account on the phone, I only had the generic global map. This is more then I had before registering. I then resigned on to Google and then location returned. Today I'll see if my special functions now operate correctly. This phone is only used for the drone so I'm eliminating it's unused functions.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I am assuming you are using an Android phone with the Mantis. If it is working DO NOT update your Android OS on the phone. If you will, please report the OS version on the phone you are using.

Thanks @Oldtimer , I know several have had Android phones that worked with the Mantis and Yuneec Pilot app then the OS was updated and they lost the video feed. At least this way we know that Android 8.1.0 works!

The special function (follow me) is still not working. I will probably start a new thread for advice. I can draw a frame around the subject but the green start button won't always appear until the frame moves off of Subject. Quirky response.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval