Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Mode names

Reaction score
As I'm new to drones I was making a cheat sheet of the ST16 with names I found more descriptive. I was assuming Mode 2 and Angle mode for the function names. When trying to come up with a description for the "Smart/Angle/Home" switch I was having a hard time. I wanted to have a brief explanation of Smart mode and was having a hard time. It just occurred to me that maybe the problem was not so much with the term Smart mode but with the term Angle Mode. If I think of Angle mode as Conventional mode (the drone goes where the nose is pointing etc.) then the term Smart mode starts to make sense. Any thoughts on this?
It also seems that replacing "Camera" for "Gimbal" clarifies the functions but Global is a bit of a problem. It seems likely that the terms are conventions in some other discipline but are just not clear to me.
Jim F.

As I'm new to drones I was making a cheat sheet of the ST16 with names I found more descriptive. I was assuming Mode 2 and Angle mode for the function names. When trying to come up with a description for the "Smart/Angle/Home" switch I was having a hard time. I wanted to have a brief explanation of Smart mode and was having a hard time. It just occurred to me that maybe the problem was not so much with the term Smart mode but with the term Angle Mode. If I think of Angle mode as Conventional mode (the drone goes where the nose is pointing etc.) then the term Smart mode starts to make sense. Any thoughts on this?

It also seems that replacing "Camera" for "Gimbal" clarifies the functions but Global is a bit of a problem. It seems likely that the terms are conventions in some other discipline but are just not clear to me.
Jim F.

You may want to consider these:

UAV Stickers - Typhoon H

Every discipline has it's own unique nomenclature ... no one outside of the photographic field would have any reference to the term "F-Stop".

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
Those stickers for the Wizard look helpful if I ever get to the point of using it. I still don't have a guess as to why Tilt would be used when referring to Pitch and why Roll would be used in place of Yaw. Elevation probably is clear enough to most but I have a background in Naval fire control and elevation refers to gun angle.
Here's where I am:
Cutout 1.jpg

I fully understand a lot of you guys have extensive military and technical backgrounds.
No problem there at all, keep on keeping on and fly as you always have....
For a lot of people especially those just getting into the whole aviation thing, nomenclature is a big HUH???
For those who need something a bit simpler, no offense to j&j, I would reduce those indicators even further, purely for quick simplicity.
How about, height or just plain up/down instead of altitude, slide right/left, turn right/left, gear up/down (it's used for take off as well), smart(or cruise)/pilot/home, vid(eo), snap, ,,,for the camera, just camera at the top and left/right; up/dn; spin(?)
Camera up/dn, Flight fast/slow.
The shorter a normally used word is the quicker you can read, understand and respond.
The fewer letters the bigger the font can be for those of us with optical situations.
After a reasonable amount of regular flying you wouldn't need any tags, but for noobs and slow learners and irregular flyers, I probably fit all three, a simple set of everyday type tags would be very useful.
I'll have to do a web search and find a product out there which could be run through the printer which is thin paper with an adhesive backing so you could print off all the tags you want and the size of font you want to suit yourself.
I know a lot of people just couldn't be bothered etc, but for me, that's just another part of the fun of the hobby, and if someone says where did you get those labels, I could say "I made it myself".....
cheers :D

When there were three television networks the seasons were well defined. They showed the pilot episode of F Troop at the end of one season and the program wouldn't start until the next season. In the pilot episode they were the Fuh-Gah-Wee Indians. In the first regular season episode they became the Uh-Gah-Wee as in "We're the Uh-Gah-Wee". My whole high school class noticed the change.

I fully understand a lot of you guys have extensive military and technical backgrounds.
No problem there at all, keep on keeping on and fly as you always have....
For a lot of people especially those just getting into the whole aviation thing, nomenclature is a big HUH???
For those who need something a bit simpler, no offense to j&j, I would reduce those indicators even further, purely for quick simplicity.
How about, height or just plain up/down instead of altitude, slide right/left, turn right/left, gear up/down (it's used for take off as well), smart(or cruise)/pilot/home, vid(eo), snap, ,,,for the camera, just camera at the top and left/right; up/dn; spin(?)
Camera up/dn, Flight fast/slow.
The shorter a normally used word is the quicker you can read, understand and respond.
The fewer letters the bigger the font can be for those of us with optical situations.
After a reasonable amount of regular flying you wouldn't need any tags, but for noobs and slow learners and irregular flyers, I probably fit all three, a simple set of everyday type tags would be very useful.
I'll have to do a web search and find a product out there which could be run through the printer which is thin paper with an adhesive backing so you could print off all the tags you want and the size of font you want to suit yourself.
I know a lot of people just couldn't be bothered etc, but for me, that's just another part of the fun of the hobby, and if someone says where did you get those labels, I could say "I made it myself".....
cheers :D
Hi Typhoon,
Like you I also found the names confusing. That's the main reason I'm creating this cheat sheet. The image I posted is actually on the right side of a sheet of paper. The left half is for additional notes and clarifications. I'll probably create another cheat sheet for the ST16 display. Because of a camera problem I had to send my Typhoon to Kansas to be repaired but prior to sending I created multiple screen caps of various ST16 displays.
I actually ordered the Typhoon on something of a whim. I'd previously looked into drones but not very seriously but when I read of its capabilities I went for it. The more I read and see the more amazed I am of what it can do.
I've found the revised user manual an invaluable source of information and have been using it extensively. Not only has it clarified the basic operation but made me aware of the multitude of things that can be done with the H. My thanks to all who helped in its creation!
Jim F.

Reactions: AussieCate
I well remember failing my first Private Pilot check ride. I passed all the flight control and flight planning requirements but the examiner felt that not using terminology applicable to aviation was grounds for test failure. His explanation? If you want to be a pilot and associate pilots you need to learn to talk like one. If those in the aviation world don’t understand what you’re talking about you won’t be able to communicate effectively.

It was an expensive lesson, one that taught me that for anything I wanted to participate in there is a requirement to learn to communicate using terminology appropriate to the product or activity. Nothing has changed. In fact, due to advances in technology it’s more important than ever.

This may not be relevant to the conversation but I do think it is in regards to labels on all of the control switches and buttons. Many (very many) years ago I remember reading an article in one of the RC publications about 'Hanger Flying'. At first I gave it no thought and threw the magazine onto the stack of other unread rags. Sometime later as I started flying more complex and faster aircraft, the associated radio gear became more populated with all sorts of knobs and switches much like today and our ST-16. ;)

One thing vastly different about flying faster and heavier fixed-wing aircraft was that taking your eye away from it, in flight; in all but a few planned and non critical moments was, a no no. Many pilots found this out the hard way. To become proficient with you aircraft you needed to learn to feel every switch and every position of every switch, as well as every knob, button and lever and get an instant mental picture of the configuration you were in. Doing a go around when you near stall and in a dirty configuration is not the time to look for the gear, flap and mixture switches or their position on the radio.

Long story short. Hanger flying in our case is basically sitting or standing with the controller in you hands just as it would be if you were flying; but you're not. The radio shouldn't even be on as this is a familiarization exercise. You want to look away from the controller as you reach for each and every switch and mentally call out what it is and what it does and be able to recognize it's different positions. This is easy to do and with just a little practice it all becomes very easy to quickly digest and makes piloting a lot easier. I still do this if I haven't flown for a week or two and as part of my preflight I mentally call every switch position as I prep for takeoff to ensure everything is correctly set.

This may not be relevant to the conversation but I do think it is in regards to labels on all of the control switches and buttons. Many (very many) years ago I remember reading an article in one of the RC publications about 'Hanger Flying'. At first I gave it no thought and threw the magazine onto the stack of other unread rags. Sometime later as I started flying more complex and faster aircraft, the associated radio gear became more populated with all sorts of knobs and switches much like today and our ST-16. ;)

One thing vastly different about flying faster and heavier fixed-wing aircraft was that taking your eye away from it, in flight; in all but a few planned and non critical moments was, a no no. Many pilots found this out the hard way. To become proficient with you aircraft you needed to learn to feel every switch and every position of every switch, as well as every knob, button and lever and get an instant mental picture of the configuration you were in. Doing a go around when you near stall and in a dirty configuration is not the time to look for the gear, flap and mixture switches or their position on the radio.

Long story short. Hanger flying in our case is basically sitting or standing with the controller in you hands just as it would be if you were flying; but you're not. The radio shouldn't even be on as this is a familiarization exercise. You want to look away from the controller as you reach for each and every switch and mentally call out what it is and what it does and be able to recognize it's different positions. This is easy to do and with just a little practice it all becomes very easy to quickly digest and makes piloting a lot easier. I still do this if I haven't flown for a week or two and as part of my preflight I mentally call every switch position as I prep for takeoff to ensure everything is correctly set.
Hi All on this thread,
I totally agree with Ty and PatR , if we are to fly our H's in a competent manner surely you must learn the terminology for all of your controls on the st16. Just short story to this , when I was younger and flew hang gliders in competitions with all competitors of differing nationalities at the briefing everyone was spoken to in ENGLISH. This is the same with aviation and licenses, all are in ENGLISH, so that all are on the same playing field or page or whatever. If you have an episode with your H and want to get some info on it from this forum and you ask about the settings for your wingwong switch no one will know what you are talking about and it will take several pages of back and forth to just work out the descriptions you are trying to relate. So for the sake of all TOF on here and the moderators please stay as it is in the MANUFACTURER'S MANUAL.
TOF = The Old Farts .
The have stickers are good but as Pat and Ty said you should not be looking at the controller but should practice and be able to do this while having VLOS.
Johnno Hennessy.

Hi All on this thread,
I totally agree with Ty and PatR , if we are to fly our H's in a competent manner surely you must learn the terminology for all of your controls on the st16. Just short story to this , when I was younger and flew hang gliders in competitions with all competitors of differing nationalities at the briefing everyone was spoken to in ENGLISH. This is the same with aviation and licenses, all are in ENGLISH, so that all are on the same playing field or page or whatever. If you have an episode with your H and want to get some info on it from this forum and you ask about the settings for your wingwong switch no one will know what you are talking about and it will take several pages of back and forth to just work out the descriptions you are trying to relate. So for the sake of all TOF on here and the moderators please stay as it is in the MANUFACTURER'S MANUAL.
TOF = The Old Farts .
The have stickers are good but as Pat and Ty said you should not be looking at the controller but should practice and be able to do this while having VLOS.
Johnno Hennessy.
I don't think I need Flo's assistance in translating. I'm not aware of much drone terminology, other than Yuneec's, but it's certainly not in accordance with any aviation or marine terminology that I'm familiar with. My best guess is that Chinese developers just used a Chinese to English dictionary and chose the first translation. In the stickers referenced in a previous post I saw right stick X axis labeled with left and right roll. I found that bizarre.
I was a bit chagrined at Ty Pilot's stressing the importance of looking out the window. While it's certainly important I've always heard the importance of scanning the six primary flight instruments stressed. With the H I've found no need to look down at the controls or switches while flying but the tactile ST16 screen is a different story. Incidentally, one of the best tips I came across said start with all the switches up (or back) except for the Mode in the middle. What is so nice about this GPS drone is that by simply taking your hand away stops the drone giving me plenty of time to decide what to do next.

Different makers elect to name their flight modes differently for some reason. DJI’s “home lock” is essentially the same as Yuneec’s “smart” mode. Yuneec adds a “smart circle” to that. What DJI calls “atti” or attitude mode 3DR called “stabilized. For Yuneec that would equate to “angle” mode with GPS turned off. If you really want to get messed up, visit the Arducopter or Pixhawk websites and look at the multitude of flights modes they have that nobody else does.

Since makers don’t all use the same names for the same things, and can add slight functional variations to flight modes it becomes fairly important to use the terminology appropriate to the brand. The only true constants across all of them are pitch, roll, yaw, climb, hover, descend, pan, and tilt, and the ever important, oft destructive; gravity.

From there you get to delve into photography, electronics, battery chemistry, and all the regulatory b.s.

Different makers elect to name their flight modes differently for some reason. DJI’s “home lock” is essentially the same as Yuneec’s “smart” mode. Yuneec adds a “smart circle” to that. What DJI calls “atti” or attitude mode 3DR called “stabilized. For Yuneec that would equate to “angle” mode with GPS turned off. If you really want to get messed up, visit the Arducopter or Pixhawk websites and look at the multitude of flights modes they have that nobody else does.

Since makers don’t all use the same names for the same things, and can add slight functional variations to flight modes it becomes fairly important to use the terminology appropriate to the brand. The only true constants across all of them are pitch, roll, yaw, climb, hover, descend, pan, and tilt, and the ever important, oft destructive; gravity.

From there you get to delve into photography, electronics, battery chemistry, and all the regulatory b.s.
I don't think I need Flo's assistance in translating. I'm not aware of much drone terminology, other than Yuneec's, but it's certainly not in accordance with any aviation or marine terminology that I'm familiar with. My best guess is that Chinese developers just used a Chinese to English dictionary and chose the first translation. In the stickers referenced in a previous post I saw right stick X axis labeled with left and right roll. I found that bizarre.
I was a bit chagrined at Ty Pilot's stressing the importance of looking out the window. While it's certainly important I've always heard the importance of scanning the six primary flight instruments stressed. With the H I've found no need to look down at the controls or switches while flying but the tactile ST16 screen is a different story. Incidentally, one of the best tips I came across said start with all the switches up (or back) except for the Mode in the middle. What is so nice about this GPS drone is that by simply taking your hand away stops the drone giving me plenty of time to decide what to do next.
Hi Jandjfrench,
What I was trying to imply is the same as aircraft or machinery you must become competent with that machine to be able to use operate it correctly. You are correct in that the H is a fantastic machine to fly and use, so have fun and remember , it is not the fall that hurts, it is the sudden stop at the end. Johnno Hennessy

Reactions: AussieCate

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy