Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

More Battery Questions

Reaction score
I'm a newer pilot that flies the Typhoon H and I just want to get some of my confusion about the batteries clarified moving forward here. I know there's a ton of threads about this stuff but it will be nice to see some current opinions from people.

I used to fly my Typhoon H until I got the "battery low" warning, then I would bring it down and land it. Since then I have learned that it's better to land the drone when the battery is around 14.5V. What do you all do regarding when you land your drone and what voltage you store the battery at when you don't fly for a while?

Also, is it okay to just partially charge the battery, or should I always be charging it until the light on the charger turns green telling me it's fully charged?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Landing before the low battery warning is a prudent thing to do. It prevents stress on the battery and helps prolong its useful lifespan.

The batteries for the TH are 4S LiPo batteries and as such should be put into storage voltage of 3.8 to 3.85 V per cell (15.2V to 15.4V)after flying unless you plan to fly the next day or so, in which case to can do a full charge to 4.2V per cell (16.8V).

If you are charging to fly you want a full charge on the battery as that is when it is working most efficiently.

It sounds as if you only have the OEM charger for your batteries. You should really look into a third party charger that supports 90Watts per channel so you can charge at the max rate of 1C (5.4 A for the 5400mAh TH batteries). It is best to look for one that allows you to measure the IR of each cell so you can keep a better eye on your battery health.

Hmmmm, many questions, will be prompting many opinions from people.

Return question, are you using the stock charger? It is at best a bare bones solution. You should invest in a charger that will at least offer putting the batteries into storage mode.

I land my H when I get my first battery low warning. Just my preference. I paid a small fortune for my H, do not want to risk it. I did fly my Q500 4K until the second warning once, but that was because my brother-in-law was handling it and he did not mention that it had already given a warning once.

As far as charging your battery until the light turns green. That depends. Are you charging to store, or fly? To store, I wouldn't charge fully. LIPO's have a tendency to swell if stored charged. To fly, I wouldn't fly without a full charge.

As I stated, these are opinions. Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

Next...

Hmmmm, many questions, will be prompting many opinions from people.

Return question, are you using the stock charger? It is at best a bare bones solution. You should invest in a charger that will at least offer putting the batteries into storage mode.

I land my H when I get my first battery low warning. Just my preference. I paid a small fortune for my H, do not want to risk it. I did fly my Q500 4K until the second warning once, but that was because my brother-in-law was handling it and he did not mention that it had already given a warning once.

As far as charging your battery until the light turns green. That depends. Are you charging to store, or fly? To store, I wouldn't charge fully. LIPO's have a tendency to swell if stored charged. To fly, I wouldn't fly without a full charge.

As I stated, these are opinions. Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

Next...
Landing when you get first warning isn't very wise or best practice, it's surprising how long it can take to land, the battery maybe fine for a while but more than likely it will present a problem it will start to be damaged, and that could translate in that the copter could handle erratically, worse case drop out of the sky, over and undervoltage both cause damage. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, I believe most on here are giving fair advice, if they've used a battery discipline for years that's worked, then they have some expertise in the matter, I think most can deduce from the information which is repeated time and time again that Doom miester has mentioned. The OEM charger is just that, a third party one is required, store at correct voltage, don't leave fully charged for more than 24/48 hours, don't keep flying to first and second warnings, let them cool down, get them to storage voltage ASAP, don't keep in copter, and monitor IR. And when or if they get puffy then discard. Only my version of things as they say.

I try to land at 14.6v - 14.5v. That way the battery voltage rebound after cooling almost always ends up at a perfect 15.2v for storage. After returning home if the voltage is a little light it only takes a few minutes charge time to bring a battery up to storage voltage.

Opinions about batteries, performance, charge and discharge levels abound but battery requirements do not possess that latitude. There’s no reason to cover the same ground over and over again for a power source chemistry that remains unchanged.

All you need to know to care for your batteries can be found in two places; the sticky thread about battery care on this forum and www.batteryuniversity.com

When it's cold outside I like to land at around 14.6v. When it's a warmer day then it's 14.5v. I never go to first warning these days. The TH can get a bit jittery at 14.3v.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval