Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My First Negative Interaction

Reaction score
So I had my first negative interaction with the public while flying my H480 today. Went to my usual flying space, a recreation center with soccer fields. I go usually at dusk when no one is there except a jogger or two and maybe a dog walker, now with the fields closed I was able to during the day. But today, the entrances were all blocked off too, so looked for another place. I had noticed a spot along my route that was opposite a housing area, but where I took off from was clear and led to some foothills which I though would be interesting to explore (while maintaining VLOS). Went through 1st battery, was part way into 2nd, and could hear a couple at a nearby ranch talking about the drone. They were fascinated by it and then noticed I was the one controlling. All positive comments.

Then over at the housing area suddenly there is a guy looking over his fence and yelling at me to "Get that **** thing out of here!" He continued yelling that it was bothering his dogs and that I need to leave. Note that I never crossed the street to where the houses were, but only went over the empty strip on my side of the street up to the hillside. He keeps on yelling, so not wanting to be a bad guy, I start flying home to land. Not fast enough for him as he keeps yelling. Note that the guy on the other side at the ranch tells this guy that the area I took off from is actually his property and he has no issue with me flying there. I land and start breaking the drone down to put away when this Tesla Model S pulls up on the street and stops next to where I am off in the dirt. I don't really pay attention as I'm putting away the drone, then he pulls into the dirt and circles around me several times, then stops and rolls down the window and starts yelling again about what am I doing there, etc. I tell him I was just doing some recreational flying and that what I was doing was perfectly legal. He says BS and that he was going to call the cops. I try to explain I'm not doing anything wrong, I do know the FAA rules, but that I did land and am leaving simply because he asked me to. Not good enough. Keeps yelling, takes my picture with his phone, says he's going to post on the neighborhood web site, I'm not moving fast enough, I better not came back there again, yadda, yadda. Total jerk, not willing to talk reasonably, so I finished packing up (but taking my time now) and drove off. Trying to find the community web site to see if he posts something.

Last edited:
Sorry you encountered that situation. The next time you encounter a jerk like that make sure you take video of the situation with the drone. Then you can use that along with telemetry to prove what you were doing. Then let them call the cops and if they continue pressing the issue, file charges against them.

The first time I read your post I was upset, second time enraged, third time I composed myself to write a civil reply.

Now we need the FAA to enact having Remote ID so everyone with a cell phone can find out our location while we are legally flying. Just make sure you have your Concealed Carry Permit too so you can legally protect yourself while doing so.

Sorry you encountered that situation. The next time you encounter a jerk like that make sure you take video of the situation with the drone. Then you can use that along with telemetry to prove what you were doing. Then let them call the cops and if they continue pressing the issue, file charges against them.

The first time I read your post I was upset, second time enraged, third time I composed myself to write a civil reply.

Now we need the FAA to enact having Remote ID so everyone with a cell phone can find out our location while we are legally flying. Just make sure you have your Concealed Carry Permit too so you can legally protect yourself while doing so.
Also sounds like you have the actual owners of the property on your side.

So I had my first negative interaction with the public while flying my H480 today. Went to my usual flying space, a recreation center with soccer fields. I go usually at dusk when no one is there except a jogger or two and maybe a dog walker, now with the fields closed I was able to during the day. But today, the entrances were all blocked off too, so looked for another place. I had noticed a spot along my route that was opposite a housing area, but where I took off from was clear and led to some foothills which I though would be interesting to explore (while maintaining VLOS). Went through 1st battery, was part way into 2nd, and could hear a couple at a nearby ranch talking about the drone. They were fascinated by it and then noticed I was the one controlling. All positive comments.

Then over at the housing area suddenly there is a guy looking over his fence and yelling at me to "Get that **** thing out of here!" He continued yelling that it was bothering his dogs and that I need to leave. Note that I never crossed the street to where the houses were, but only went over the empty strip on my side of the street up to the hillside. He keeps on yelling, so not wanting to be a bad guy, I start flying home to land. Not fast enough for him as he keeps yelling. Note that the guy on the other side at the ranch tells this guy that the area I took off from is actually his property and he has no issue with me flying there. I land and start breaking the drone down to put away when this Tesla Model S pulls up on the street and stops next to where I am off in the dirt. I don't really pay attention as I'm putting away the drone, then he pulls into the dirt and circles around me several times, then stops and rolls down the window and starts yelling again about what am I doing there, etc. I tell him I was just doing some recreational flying and that what I was doing was perfectly legal. He says BS and that he was going to call the cops. I try to explain I'm not doing anything wrong, I do know the FAA rules, but that I did land and am leaving simply because he asked me to. Not good enough. Keeps yelling, takes my picture with his phone, says he's going to post on the neighborhood web site, I'm not moving fast enough, I better not came back there again, yadda, yadda. Total jerk, not willing to talk reasonably, so I finished packing up (but taking my time now) and drove off. Trying to find the community web site to see if he posts something.
You're so lucky that you can take your drone out in the UK we are all in lockdown I bought a brand new new typhoon H professional 2 months ago and not had it off the ground yet

You're so lucky that you can take your drone out in the UK we are all in lockdown I bought a brand new new typhoon H professional 2 months ago and not had it off the ground yet
If your on private property then it's fine, so if your a landowner or have access to land at landowners permission, and within walking/exercise distance there wouldn't be a problem.

If your on private property then it's fine, so if your a landowner or have access to land at landowners permission, and within walking/exercise distance there wouldn't be a problem.
Definitely no picnic in the U.K. There are a lot of members in the MavicPilots forum in the U.K. and Australia. Like @Mrgs1 said, if you have your own property large enough to fly at there is no problem, but most areas don’t let you fly even if you can walk to it as there is to be no loitering in public spaces.

Seeing the same type of situations in other EU countries too.

Reactions: Tiffin 2018
I suppose you could use "Follow me" put on your running gear.?
I do have a farmer who will let me fly about 1000 acres, but hilly, but it's something to blow the cobwebs away, my elderly mother passed away only a couple of weeks ago, so not really in the mood yet, sorting her things out.

It will be interesting to see what ends up on the community website. Keep an eye on this and keep us posted. If it turns into a thing let us all know, but watch what you say on here. So far you have done an excellent job of being cool. I know nothing about the rules or procedure in the U.K but it sure sounds like the guy you had a problem with has been in the house too long. So many circumstances right now having underlying feelings on peoples attitudes. I am suspecting that Domestic violence situations are on the rise as we speak. But if that person in question is going beyond reasonable,then the situation will require a lawful intervention.Let the person who angrily confronted you incriminate himself. Stay cool,be safe and hope you stay healthy. Keith C.

I'm confused,nothing new I guess. I assumed you were from U.K. as mentioned in 2 previous posts but I see inyour intro. you are from Southern Cal. I would maybe make a few phone calls to get opinion from the local law,just have a nice chat with them. They need to keep tabs on violent people. We are told if we see it say it,EH!
Keith C.

I probably would have whipped his *** and sent him packing. :)
And most likely ended up with a court order keeping you from even being in the area at a minimum.

No, surrounded by houses there is a farm nearby but I don't think he would be happy me flying a drone on it, unfortunately living in the UK It's become a very nanny state there's going to be a time when you can't pass wind without written permission

I suppose you could use "Follow me" put on your running gear.[emoji16]
I do have a farmer who will let me fly about 1000 acres, but hilly, but it's something to blow the cobwebs away, my elderly mother passed away only a couple of weeks ago, so not really in the mood yet, sorting her things out.

So sorry to hear [read]. Sympathies to you and your family.

Jeff

Do not try to reason with whackos. It just fires them up. Crazies have short fuses and can actually be dangerous if sufficiently riled up. Better to say nothing and smile as you take THEIR picture. If forced to interact, tell them you'd welcome a call to the the police and when they arrive you will accuse your harasser of harassing you--which is what he/she is doing. I live on the north shore of Nassau county,Long Island, NY. Finding a spot to fly near where I live is both challenging and risky. The play fields and beaches are often empty in winter and so far so good--no irate neighbors screaming at me. On two occasions local cops have stopped and expressed an interest in drones. Neither time was I told to leave. "Use your judgement" one said and It is good advice.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I suppose you could use "Follow me" put on your running gear.?
Sorry to hear that Mrgs1, it is never easy loosing family. I have lost my mum and my step mum also. My thoughts are with you and your family. Regards John Hennessy.

Reactions: Mrgs1
It will be interesting to see what ends up on the community website. Keep an eye on this and keep us posted. If it turns into a thing let us all know, but watch what you say on here. So far you have done an excellent job of being cool. I know nothing about the rules or procedure in the U.K but it sure sounds like the guy you had a problem with has been in the house too long. So many circumstances right now having underlying feelings on peoples attitudes. I am suspecting that Domestic violence situations are on the rise as we speak. But if that person in question is going beyond reasonable,then the situation will require a lawful intervention.Let the person who angrily confronted you incriminate himself. Stay cool,be safe and hope you stay healthy. Keith C.

I'm confused,nothing new I guess. I assumed you were from U.K. as mentioned in 2 previous posts but I see inyour intro. you are from Southern Cal. I would maybe make a few phone calls to get opinion from the local law,just have a nice chat with them. They need to keep tabs on violent people. We are told if we see it say it,EH!
Keith C.
Unfortunately haven't been able to find the community website he mentioned, and can't identify his location as a specific neighborhood with Google Maps. I think I did a good job of maintaining my cool despite his ranting and raving, just talked back calmly saying what I was doing was perfectly legal and go ahead and call the cops (which shut him up for a moment or two). Did not have video recording, but of course I do have telemetry which would show my flight path, and could have shown a cop with UAV Toolbox if necessary. While I'm tempted to fly there again just to piss him off, probably won't, not that great of a location anyway. Only stopped there because my regular spot was closed, the sun was going down and I had full batteries, lol.

Too bad that didn’t happen in the U.S. Since the land owner said it was OK a call to the cops about you being in fear for your life due to a guy interfering with a flight crew member could have had interesting results. Had the owner informed the idiot neighbor he was trespassing there could have been other avenues of education.

In today’s world it’s critical operators know the associated laws and comply with them in order to best use them.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Too bad that didn’t happen in the U.S. Since the land owner said it was OK a call to the cops about you being in fear for your life due to a guy interfering with a flight crew member could have had interesting results. Had the owner informed the idiot neighbor he was trespassing there could have been other avenues of education.

In today’s world it’s critical operators know the associated laws and comply with them in order to best use them.
Ric is in the other end of California Pat. I think it really would have been funny for the cops to show up. Impounding the Tesla and charging the driver with reckless endangerment and assault with a ‘motor’ vehicle.

Reactions: PatR
He certainly could have called the cops. The Tesla driver like as not is one that believes his financial status grants him privilege not afforded anyone else. Then again, he could have bought that Tesla by growing dope in his backyard...

Either way, it’s long past time he obtains an education. Cops have to respond to complaints for threats of violence. If you know the law you can quote and make reference to applicable code sections. Once enlightened and aware, police have to side with published law.

If I was the operator I would do my best to locate that neighborhood blog. If the irate Tesla owner published the operators picture he would have violated California’s Paparazzi law and could be subject to a $10k civil penalty and restitution to the operator. Unless an activity is conducted in a public setting where people have no reasonable expectation of privacy, we cannot publish an image of a person without specific permission to do so.

The operator might well be able to establish his (operator) activities were separated from public activity and removed publication of his likeness from public domain association as the Tesla owner had to go out of his way to obtain images.

Similar to how some guy taking a leak in the woods gets busted for indecent exposure by some gal using a pair of binoculars from half a mile away to observe him. Something like that actually happened at a golf course residential tract construction site a long time ago. An old bitty on the other side of the course was spying the site using binocs. The indecent exposure charge got tossed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430