Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My New Typhoon H + Doesn't Bounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't I see what you described in the log I shared here (the highest numbered one?) Since the drone and the controller still communicated after the crash and I turned it back on to double check the battery charge, (my first fear), that may account for what you are saying. Something was seriously wrong in more aspects than one if it didn't show the altitude gained. My guess is that the info needed is in the previous file rather than the highest number one. (In this case.)

I'd already done as you suggested regarding the log, but I'm not sure about the compressing part. I'll do some more looking at that. Still no email back from Yuneec.

Thanks for the suggestions.

That 000019.csv from the telemetry folder would descibe what you did after the crash.

Are you using Windows 8 or 10? the Zip program is built into the shell in those versions and is accessible by selecting what you want zipped and right clicking, then selecting the Send to... menu, then selecting Compressed.

If we have the files from at least the Telemetry and the Remote folders, we will be able to have a good idea of what went wrong.

Eagle Eye is right about email response from Yuneec CS. It is best to call or chat.

That 000019.csv from the telemetry folder would descibe what you did after the crash.

Are you using Windows 8 or 10? the Zip program is built into the shell in those versions and is accessible by selecting what you want zipped and right clicking, then selecting the Send to... menu, then selecting Compressed.

If we have the files from at least the Telemetry and the Remote folders, we will be able to have a good idea of what went wrong.

Eagle Eye is right about email response from Yuneec CS. It is best to call or chat.

Thanks. Here you go:

Attachments

• TyphoonFlightLogSensor.zip
    10.2 MB · Views: 10
Thanks. Here you go:

I think we'll get this mystery all pieced together at some point.

I cannot view the files as I don't have the proper software (like Excel) to open and read it.

Be with you shortly, I’m having a late lunch.

Reactions: Merhlin
Reactions: Merhlin
The flight was number 17. The telemetry simply stops which indicates a power shut down of the H+. There is nothing noteworthy in the telemetry that would forecast a pending failure. I did notice an occasional glitch in the telemetry on several files where an individual line has strange figures. It simply seems to be a writing error.

Anytime you have a crash it's always a good idea to take pictures of everything before you touch or move anything. In this case it would have been helpful to see a picture of the battery in the compartment.

A member of this forum @h-elsner has a program to do that called Q500log2kml.
The logs on the H Plus have several changes from the H. I'm doubtful they will work with this program. The flight modes are much different and several more columns have been added.

The flight was number 17. The telemetry simply stops which indicates a power shut down of the H+. There is nothing noteworthy in the telemetry that would forecast a pending failure. I did notice an occasional glitch in the telemetry on several files where an individual line has strange figures. It simply seems to be a writing error.

Anytime you have a crash it's always a good idea to take pictures of everything before you touch or move anything. In this case it would have been helpful to see a picture of the battery in the compartment.

The logs on the H Plus have several changes from the H. I'm doubtful they will work with this program. The flight modes are much different and several more columns have been added.

Yeah, hind-sight is always 20/20 (about the photos) so, live and learn I guess. I'm hoping the telemetry will at least confirm I made no error. I can't think of anything I might have done to cause that. So, in your opinion, should I expect them to come back with the suggestion that the battery was fine but not firmly in place? Seems there would be no way to confirm that sort of thing.

I appreciate the input.

Helmut has updated the program to reflect at least some of the changes. I had to d/l the latest win64 version 3.7 to get a good reading.

Reactions: jngrally
It appears that file 000017 is the one where the error occurred. It shows the H+ lifting off to a height of about 18 meters (60 ft), then the file abruptly stops. file 000018 is nonsensical, and file 000019 shows a connection in a residential area on the ground. Really odd data to have the file truncated while in flight.

File 000002 shows a test flight at the factory in China, and file 000007 shows the first connection at or near a residence. File 000010 shows a complete flight in a remote area with two sorties and landings.

Reactions: jngrally and YuKay
Just uploaded a version of q500log2kml which gives a deeper insight to Sensor files.
For YTH Plus the sensor files have the same format as the tlog-files from H520, means that are MAV-Link files. Those files can be anlysed with ArduPilot MissionPlanner. There are some Yuneec-specific messages in that MissionPlanner ignores or mis-interprets.

However, the Sensor Files now contain also text messages (MsgID0 $FD - search by F3 key). I guess the 00017.csv related Sensor file is 00018.txt. One of the messages is "CAUTION: Avionics power low: 4.74 Volt". This message has only severity 2 (0 ist highest severity). Power supply for the board should be 5V, seems that there are voltage drops happened. LiPo voltage is very good all the time.
I do not know, if this is normal or not, but frightening.
Those messages were also dropped during test flights in China at Yuneec and the other YTH Plus where I got FlightLogs from has it too.
Avionics_voltage.png
br HE

Just uploaded a version of q500log2kml which gives a deeper insight to Sensor files.
For YTH Plus the sensor files have the same format as the tlog-files from H520, means that are MAV-Link files. Those files can be anlysed with ArduPilot MissionPlanner. There are some Yuneec-specific messages in that MissionPlanner ignores or mis-interprets.

However, the Sensor Files now contain also text messages (MsgID0 $FD - search by F3 key). I guess the 00017.csv related Sensor file is 00018.txt. One of the messages is "CAUTION: Avionics power low: 4.74 Volt". This message has only severity 2 (0 ist highest severity). Power supply for the board should be 5V, seems that there are voltage drops happened. LiPo voltage is very good all the time.
I do not know, if this is normal or not, but frightening.
Those messages were also dropped during test flights in China at Yuneec and the other YTH Plus where I got FlightLogs from has it too.
View attachment 10453
br HE

Great info Helmut, thanks for the insight.

It appears that file 000017 is the one where the error occurred. It shows the H+ lifting off to a height of about 18 meters (60 ft), then the file abruptly stops. file 000018 is nonsensical, and file 000019 shows a connection in a residential area on the ground. Really odd data to have the file truncated while in flight.

File 000002 shows a test flight at the factory in China, and file 000007 shows the first connection at or near a residence. File 000010 shows a complete flight in a remote area with two sorties and landings.

Yes, the drone was connected to the controller at my residence and the camera functions and controls tested the day before my horrific experience. There were two short flights in a very rural location, both from the same spot within minutes of each other.The second ending in the drop and crash.

Today I was in contact with CS @Y by phone. A case number had already been assigned. Procedures are underway to inspect the flight log. If they don't find evidence of pilot error, they will email me a return label for UPS and they will pay the return shipping. When they receive the damaged drone they will send its replacement. I'm withholding any expectations about how long this will all take but the rep said that he thought the files would be reviewed by the days end, (Thursday 18) We'll see.

I appreciate your communication in this forum. Thank you. I'll let you know how things play-out.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Merhlin,

Your description matches what I saw in the files. If you read Helmut’s post, you know he saw things a little odd in the sensor file. Hoping the best outcome for you with Yuneec, and that their response and turnaround time is swift.

We all still have a lot to learn about this new system and all information both good and unfortunate are important to the learning process. Thankyou for sharing yours.

And I thank you for being made welcome and heard here. I look forward to further communications.

Early this evening, Yuneec sent an email to me with a PDF return label and instructions for returning the drone through UPS. Seems they are going to replace my Typhoon H Plus.

I must say I was impressed at how quickly they moved on this and of course greatly relieved that I'm not at fault and not out $2000. Thanks for your assistance.

Good to hear!

Early this evening, Yuneec sent an email to me with a PDF return label and instructions for returning the drone through UPS. Seems they are going to replace my Typhoon H Plus.

I must say I was impressed at how quickly they moved on this and of course greatly relieved that I'm not at fault and not out $2000. Thanks for your assistance.

Great! As @h-elsner posted, he saw some flaky readings in the Sensor files (even in the Test Flight at the China facility). Hope your new bird arrives ASAP.

Because I'm a little bit nervous about those Avionic power supply messages, I have looked into HW of Typhoon H (I do not have a H Plus). There are build in TWO 5V step-down converter TPS5450, both good for up to 5A. The whole mainboard runs with 210mA without motors and camera, but with all processors (idle), electronics, GPS and so on. Two converter is more than enough, should be good.
I guess the H Plus has the same or better. The magic question is, from where and why the serverity-2 messages came: "CAUTION: Avionics power low: 4.74 Volt".

br HE

Reactions: jngrally
Yuneec CS had a 30 minute hold time. I used the chat function on the site and immediately got a customer service rep who was nice, a lady named Angel. Her first response was did I return it to Best Buy. I questioned whether or not Best Buy would be willing to refund me if it was possible that I was in error somehow. But of course that would be the initial go to, as it would, if successful, completely eliminate any problems for Yuneec.

I was prepared for a difficult discussion but to my amazement, she said that they would send me the shipping labels and as soon as they received my drone they would ship me a new one! Wow! She emailed me. I was given a case number. and I gave them my address. She asked for a photo copy of the receipt which I was able to send her.

Right now my problem is getting the files to send in Gmail. I asked her if she wanted all the files in the log and she replied, “yes.“ There are four file folders and I cannot send all four for some reason. (Perhaps they are too big.) I don’t know that I want to start sending each of the individual files within the folders in separate emails as that would take forever. If you have a suggestion for how to get them the log, I would appreciate it. I emailed her back with that question and have yet to hear back from her. I tried the text chat function on the site again and the response I got was that no one was available and to try later.

In our original chat, I asked her if they had had this problem with this model of the Typhoon before. She claimed that mine was the first. I was hoping I would get some response back from someone here on the log information I previously attached but so far, nothing. I do not have the software on my laptop to read it and I’m not sure that if I did I would be knowledgeable enough to interpret it. My concern is if there is something that I did wrong I sure as **** don’t want to do it again with the replacement! The customer service tech understood that and said that they too wanted to see what happened. What are the odds?

I must say, I was blown away by the fact that they were willing, without question, to replace the drone. That says a great deal about this company, unless I got a newbie customer service person who messed up. The only thing that could’ve happened better would have been for them to ship me a new one without waiting to receive my damaged one first. I have heard of this happening on rare occasions but I certainly wasn’t expecting it. I am pleased with their response so far and told her so. Customer service is huge!

Again, suggestions on how to send the log would be appreciated, as I don’t want to have to put them on a flash drive and return it that way if there’s an easier option - perhaps DropBox? Also, anyone who can read the telemetry log I put in this thread and perhaps glean some helpful information, I would appreciate that. I appreciate the responses I’ve gotten and the feeling of empathy. Thanks for being gentle with me.

You can contact them again and ask if they can ship your new unit once your old one is processed in at FedEx. They did this for me in 2017 when mine went down after a FW update. I delivered the old unit to FedEx and faxed the receipt to Yuneec to prove it was on the way, and they then shipped the new one without waiting for the damaged one to arrive.

Good for you. I see your point in wanting to know the exact cause. After the guys read your data you will have a good idea if not the exact cause. I would then make yuneec aware of it. It also surprises me on their quick action to replace the drone, and it’s possible they haven’t yet heard of the H+ failing as you described but can guarantee they heard of the Previous model doing it

I kinda disagree. Although Yuneec does have a good CS. Their quick response to replace it without a cause would indicate they have heard of this and may know of a problem. They were this way with an earlier FW release on the Typhoon H. It was causing signal loss with distances less than 7-800 feet out. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop