Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

My possible Drone Video Photography Hobby Frenchman Mtn. and Rainbow Gardens area.

Reaction score
I prepared a Facebook video of an area, here in Southern Nevada. The area is south(east) of Frenchman Mountain in the Rainbow Garden area. Feel free to watch my introduction video to my possible Drone Photography hobby. Thanks for any feedback on my drone flying photography adventure. Search Andrew Lane on Facebook in the Las Vegas and surrounding areas.

I prepared a Facebook video of an area, here in Southern Nevada. The area is south(east) of Frenchman Mountain in the Rainbow Garden area. Feel free to watch my introduction video to my possible Drone Photography hobby. Thanks for any feedback on my drone flying photography adventure. Search Andrew Lane on Facebook in the Las Vegas and surrounding areas.
What video?

If you don't mind a word of advice, cut your videos down to 3 minutes or less. People have short attention spans and videos longer than about 3 minutes tend to be interrupted for other things. Also, avoid fast panning movement. They make viewers uncomfortable. Best pans are very slow, and very short.

If you don't mind a word of advice, cut your videos down to 3 minutes or less. People have short attention spans and videos longer than about 3 minutes tend to be interrupted for other things. Also, avoid fast panning movement. They make viewers uncomfortable. Best pans are very slow, and very short.
I agree. Far too long. If I see a video that has a length of more than just a couple of minutes or so I don't tend to watch it through. This one, for example, I clicked away from after just 20 seconds.

Panning is a matter of taste. I sometimes include a pan in my videos but when I do I try to ensure that it isn't too fast since IMHO a pan that is too fast takes something away from the video. Far better to cut out the turns and just show straight line sequences: unless a turn adds to the video experience then they are better cut out.

Having some idea how you would want your final video to look like after an edit even before you even take to the air will help enormously: flying around randomly taking footage seldom leads to and outstanding final video and at best only produces an 'average' sort of experience for the viewer.

Don't be afraid to edit aggressively @Andrew Lane . A fairly well edited job can make even the poorest source footage into a well received video that people will want to watch...so long as it ain't too long.

From the wind I hear in you microphone and your desire to get high quality video, I think the Typhoon H Plus (not Pro) would be an excellent choice. It is one of the most capable consumer drones in the wind. It also has an excellent camera that can shoot 4K at 60 fps with a 360-deg gimbal. Here's a camera comparison video shot by Jeff Sibelius:

Reactions: Andrew Lane
From the wind I hear in you microphone and your desire to get high quality video, I think the Typhoon H Plus (not Pro) would be an excellent choice. It is one of the most capable consumer drones in the wind. It also has an excellent camera that can shoot 4K at 60 fps with a 360-deg gimbal. Here's a camera comparison video shot by Jeff Sibelius:
That was an impressive drone mat in that video, think I might have to invest in one, it's self weighted so it stays in place.

My son bought me a drone mat for Christmas though I've yet to use it.
99% I fly from tall grass, weed, uneven and dusty/dirty ground, it certainly helps the dust being kicked up especially in drier weather. They have a time and place I suppose!

99% I fly from tall grass, weed, uneven and dusty/dirty ground, it certainly helps the dust being kicked up especially in drier weather. They have a time and place I suppose!
Yes. I've only had one flight day since my son bought me the pad and on that occasion my take off place was a nice flat and dust free area (video here New Year's Eve over Bishop's Park ) so I didn't need to use it.

However, truth be told, I forgot I had it so if the place was dusty I would have used the shopping bag from the boot of my car as I have done in the past.

Yes. I've only had one flight day since my son bought me the pad and on that occasion my take off place was a nice flat and dust free area (video here New Year's Eve over Bishop's Park ) so I didn't need to use it.

However, truth be told, I forgot I had it so if the place was dusty I would have used the shopping bag from the boot of my car as I have done in the past.
I suppose I could use the Yuneec backpack to take off, It will be a gift so I'm not complaining, think twice if it's my own money!

Thank you Rubik, I will study the Typhoon H plus. My use would be 50 foot(?) above any particular geological formation, out in the desert. Slow movement over formation, HD gimbal video/photos, line of sight, in low to no wind conditions. The Typhoon H3 looks interesting too. I am searching info on the H3. All my videos will be presented on my Facebook page.

Reactions: Rubik
I look forward to your videos. For those of us who do not use Facebook, could you post links here?
Thanks Rubik, My current plans are to continue to locate land areas that permit landing/take off and FAA unrestricted. I'm using Altitude Angel to locate surrounding Las Vegas areas that have an unrestricted 400 ft approval. In addition, I will be reviewing information on a drone with very good stabilized HD (4K) video/photography camera. If you have any helpful ideas on proper use of a drone/camera setup, beyond the usual, feel free to send me a message. Thanks ...

Thanks Rubik, My current plans are to continue to locate land areas that permit landing/take off and FAA unrestricted. I'm using Altitude Angel to locate surrounding Las Vegas areas that have an unrestricted 400 ft approval. In addition, I will be reviewing information on a drone with very good stabilized HD (4K) video/photography camera. If you have any helpful ideas on proper use of a drone/camera setup, beyond the usual, feel free to send me a message. Thanks ...
There are a few things you can do to produce the best videos. First, lock the white balance and exposure at the beginning of the flight. I point the camera at a white/gray standard for this purpose. That way you won't have scenes with changing color that are hard to correct in post. Auto exposure can also be a problem. It's best to set ISO as low as possible (usually 100) and shutter speed as close to 2 times the frame rate (usually 1/60s for 30 fps). You may need ND filters to make this possible, especially in bright sunlight. Second, make sure your movements, especially pans and tilts, are sloooow and deliberate. As you get further away from your subject, the speed of the drone can be increased, but not the pan or tilt speeds. Third, keep your productions short. Remove anything that your are not proud of or that don't contribute to the story you are telling. I usually make several passes through the video in post. First pass is to make any global adjustments to white balance, exposure, sharpness, etc. Next pass is to remove all the too-fast pans and tilts and uninteresting stuff. Third pass is to critically shorten relative static scenes to about 4-5 seconds. Dynamic scenes can be longer. Finally, add transitions, titles, subtitles, etc. I look forward to your videos!

There are a few things you can do to produce the best videos. First, lock the white balance and exposure at the beginning of the flight. I point the camera at a white/gray standard for this purpose. That way you won't have scenes with changing color that are hard to correct in post. Auto exposure can also be a problem. It's best to set ISO as low as possible (usually 100) and shutter speed as close to 2 times the frame rate (usually 1/60s for 30 fps). You may need ND filters to make this possible, especially in bright sunlight. Second, make sure your movements, especially pans and tilts, are sloooow and deliberate. As you get further away from your subject, the speed of the drone can be increased, but not the pan or tilt speeds. Third, keep your productions short. Remove anything that your are not proud of or that don't contribute to the story you are telling. I usually make several passes through the video in post. First pass is to make any global adjustments to white balance, exposure, sharpness, etc. Next pass is to remove all the too-fast pans and tilts and uninteresting stuff. Third pass is to critically shorten relative static scenes to about 4-5 seconds. Dynamic scenes can be longer. Finally, add transitions, titles, subtitles, etc. I look forward to your videos!
Thank you, Your information is outstanding .........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval