Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Need help hitting 13,000 ft msl!

Reaction score
I have a Q500, it flies OK at 7000 feet on a regular basis. I contacted Yuneec to get the firmware to fly above 8000 feet, however, when I go above 8000 feet the performance drops significantly.

Today I attempted a flight at 10,500 feet, and it barely lifts off, hard to maintain altitude during a slight breeze, and a crash into deep snow, saving my heli.

Now I know high altitude means thinner air. I tried a more agressive prop but that didn't help at all. I don't think the motor is powerful enough.

This is my first "toy" drone, and I'm not finding anything online for mods to increase performance other than a lighter frame. If I wanted to swap out the frame, why buy this helicopter in the first place? Why not just scratch build one?

Does anyone know of any motor upgrades? Has anyone on here flown one of these at high altitude? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The Q500 is designed to operate withing certain limitations. Altitude is one of those and it is the reason the firmware limits starting the motors to less than 8000' MSL.
If you wish to fly to 13,000 ft you will need to find a machine that is designed for that or, as you mention, built your own.

The Q500 is designed to operate withing certain limitations. Altitude is one of those and it is the reason the firmware limits starting the motors to less than 8000' MSL.
If you wish to fly to 13,000 ft you will need to find a machine that is designed for that or, as you mention, built your own.

I understand it's not designed to go to 13,000 feet from factory, most cars aren't designed to go 200 mph, but you can upgrade them to do so, which is why I was asking about upgrade options for the Q500.

Reactions: P Howard
Lift of the props depends on air density, surface area and rpm. As altitude increases, air density decreases. In order to provide sufficient lift at increasing altitudes, the motor rpm must increase. In order to provide the same lift at 13,000' compared to 4000', the props would need a surface area 2.7 times greater at the same rpm. If you wish to design and make some props that meet that requirement then it's worth a try, keeping in mind the mass of the props cannot be increased by the same margin.

density_variation.jpg

Reactions: DrNewcenstein

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio