Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Need help with CGO3+ camera issue

slw74

Part 107 certificate
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I need some diagnostic assistance with a new problem with one of my CGO3+ cameras that I use very frequently with a Typhoon H. I have had it several years. It was repaired by George after a crash (tree encounter) several years ago. It has performed perfectly since then. Unfortunately, I had the camera off the Typhoon H to replace the GPS module, and when I attempted to remount it on the drone, I did not realize that it did not engage securely. In fact it separated from the drone and fell to the floor! I was panicked! It had no discernible damage. I remounted it on the drone and it seemed to do fine. It initialized and centered as always; the indicator light went from white to red to blinking green and then solid green. The images were fine and it appeared that the gimbal was fine; but when I did down pitch, it stopped at about 30 degrees down and then re-initialized. All of the other gimbal functions were fine. Images and video were great and recording was normal. It never had any tones other than the normal initialization sequence. I accessed the pitch encoder, thinking that perhaps the magnet had been dislodged or broken; but the magnet looked perfectly normal, although I have no way to assess whether it had changed its orientation. The connectors on the gimbal board were all OK as were the connections to the slip ring and the base plate. I tried to do a gimbal calibration, but it does not complete once the camera is in a downward pitch. It's so disappointing that I damaged a great camera. Any suggestions at this point? I have attached a link to the video of how it performs. I would appreciate any input as to potential next steps.
Thanks in advance,
Stephen

CGO3+ example

• Sad
Reactions: Steve Carr
Stephen, that is a shame. I have been close to doing the same several times.

With power off do you notice any binding or tightness in the pitch axis or the roll axis? The arms are susceptible to being bent/sprung like a car chassis. It may be experiencing an overload on the pitch motor thus causing a reset.

Waiting for @WTFDproject to weigh in on this one. He and @georgero are well versed in the CGO3/3+ cameras and their gimbals.

The camera seems to snap/roll to "drone right" when power is off. That would suggest a slightly bent shaft on the roll motor. Was it doing that before the incident?
The problem could be some frame bending somewhere, a damaged wire, damaged connector, some random cracked solder on the gimbal board or on a sensor somewhere. Or something else entirely. It will be hard to diagnose this without having it in hand.

Reactions: DoomMeister
The "drone right" angle has been true all along; nothing new. When the camera is not "energized" all of the gimbal axes move with complete freedom; no feeling of binding or resistance. When the camera is "energized" and it stops at 30 degrees, it buzzes very softly. If I try to cause it to go further it resists. Is that any help?
More to come.
Thanks for the advice,
Stephen

The "drone right" angle has been true all along; nothing new. When the camera is not "energized" all of the gimbal axes move with complete freedom; no feeling of binding or resistance. When the camera is "energized" and it stops at 30 degrees, it buzzes very softly. If I try to cause it to go further it resists. Is that any help?
More to come.
Thanks for the advice,
Stephen
I would start by looking at the pitch encoder, the strength of the pitch magnet and the wiring.
I would also check the plastic internal frame (which is also the camera tilt axle) to see if it is broken.

Looks like a bent fork frame. To check if am I right or not you should disassemble the camera. Don't recommend doing this alone for the very first time. Now you have half worked camera but after the intervention, you can have a wild camera.

I would start by looking at the pitch encoder, the strength of the pitch magnet, and the wiring.
I would also check the plastic internal frame (which is also the camera tilt axle) to see if it is broken.
All encoders are OK. Magnets are in place. This is a mechanical issue
( guess I ).

Update on the CGO3+ that was injured in a fall to the floor (UGH). With the help of @Vaklin and especially incredible advice from @WTFDproject, I got the CGO3+ back in service! Turns out after a good bit of work, I determined that the problem was a bent U-frame from the floor impact. I tried to straighten it, but I wasn't able to get it exact enough to work. I secured some CGO3's as parts donors. After a good bit of work, I got it reassembled and working well. Thanks again to Vaklin and WTFDproject,
Stephen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval