Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Need help

Reaction score
I recently bought my Q500 from a gentleman that I can no longer get ahold of. When I met him to make the purchase everything seemed to work. What I didn't know was he had the camera case on the camera making it look stable. I get home and the it doesnt work. Is there a way to fix it? It tilts to the side and the control button on my transmitter doesnt make the camera move. I know if I send it away to be fixed it will be extremely expensive. I went to Best buy and they said I need the original owners phone number which I can't get and it might be under warranty. How can I use the serial number to track the history or is there any avenues I can take to get a warranty or coverage plan to reduce the cost of being fixed? Please help

Aggravated yuneec pilot

I don't know if you can trace the camera by serial number. The best option would be to contact Yuneec Customer Service directly and see what they say. "Yuneec USA | Support"

It is not unusual for a CGo3 to tilt when not powered up. That in itself is not great cause for concern. But if it is related to an actual failure, I will need to understand more of what you are seeing to offer any real help:
Does the camera remain tilted when the drone is powered up?
Do you have video on screen? (is the camera bound to the controller)
Do you have an led lit on the front of the camera ball?
Do you have LEDs up in the Gimbal board area (right under the mount)?
Does the camera make any erratic movements?
Do you hear any beeping sounds?

Sorry to hear you appear to have been sold a broken machine. I would guess that if the original guy was under warranty he would have got it fixed for free, or maybe he crashed it, and they wouldn't cover the damage because it was pilot error.

You are assuming it will be an expensive fix, but what are you basing that on ? Some repairs do cost a fair bit but that is mainly if a big part is unrecoverable. The camera is the most expensive part of that machine, but you don't know what's wrong about it yet - it could be anything from a totalled camera down to a single loose wire on a board.

You can try and track down the seller, but I suspect you will end up happier faster if you just take the hit, and get it fixed yourself, or track down a second hand CGO3 you can slot in there.

So I would say your first step should be to call Yuneec in your country (USA ?) or one of the other Yuneec authorised service centers, and take lots of photos of the camera and any bits of wiring that are accessible, and share those with both the service guys and us here on the forum - we have alot of remote pilots that can help advise if we can see what's going on...

I don't know if you can trace the camera by serial number. The best option would be to contact Yuneec Customer Service directly and see what they say. "Yuneec USA | Support"

It is not unusual for a CGo3 to tilt when not powered up. That in itself is not great cause for concern. But if it is related to an actual failure, I will need to understand more of what you are seeing to offer any real help:
Does the camera remain tilted when the drone is powered up?
Do you have video on screen? (is the camera bound to the controller)
Do you have an led lit on the front of the camera ball?
Do you have LEDs up in the Gimbal board area (right under the mount)?
Does the camera make any erratic movements?
Do you hear any beeping sounds?

Yes, the camera remains tilted when powered up.

The camera doesn't bind automatically or stay bound. I have to manually do it Everytime I use my quad.

RC wifi completes automatically. But video wifi never completes
I get video on the screen. Only sometimes. And I can't take pictures or videos. And yes I have a memory card in the slot.
Yes the light on the camera ball comes on, I believe it blinks red then goes white (not 100,% on the colors) but sometimes there's no light.
Yes I have lights up in the gimbal board, I wanna say red, I'll have to power back on to make sure .
The camera doesn't move at all. Before during or after startup/flight/landing
I hear a beep when I power on the transmitter and when I power on the quad.
After I filly charge the battery and transmitter and start up the quad, within 1 min the transmitter vibrates and says land your drone immediately, your voltage is at 11.1. understanding other RC vehicles, assuming the battery is probably on its way out? But it doesn't do it every time. 70% I'd guesstimate

I really appreciate your time and help, I can't say thank you enough. My name is Phil btw.

Yes, the camera remains tilted when powered up.

OK. Lots to discuss here. Nearly every indication is off.
First, what model camera is it? Cgo2, CGo2+, CGo3? Some even had GoPro.

"The camera doesn't bind automatically or stay bound. I have to manually do it Everytime I use my quad."
This hints at a controller problem.

"RC wifi completes automatically. But video wifi never completes"
"I get video on the screen. Only sometimes."
"And I can't take pictures or videos. And yes I have a memory card in the slot."
All of these have both camera and controller ties.

"Yes the light on the camera ball comes on, I believe it blinks red then goes white (not 100,% on the colors) but sometimes there's no light."
That is most likely camera, but it could also be a low voltage issue on the drone.

What you SHOULD see depends on whether or not an SD card is installed.
With no SD card, it should sequence as follows:
Solid white
Red/yellow alternating (The "yellow" is weak. It may look yellow, white, or even green)
Yellow flashing. (I only know it's yellow because the book says so. Looks a lot more green to me)

With an SD Card it should sequence as:
Solid white
Solid Red
Solid Green

"Yes I have lights up in the gimbal board, I wanna say red, I'll have to power back on to make sure ."
Should start as weak blue, strong green alternating, then go to green flashing. Red is not good.

"The camera doesn't move at all. Before during or after startup/flight/landing"
May be bad gimbal board, or low voltage from Drone.

"I hear a beep when I power on the transmitter and when I power on the quad."
No beep from camera is normally good, but with all the other problems, it really hints at a bad gimbal board.

"After I filly charge the battery and transmitter and start up the quad, within 1 min the transmitter vibrates and says land your drone immediately, your voltage is at 11.1. understanding other RC vehicles, assuming the battery is probably on its way out?" But it doesn't do it every time. 70% I'd guesstimate"
Couple things wrong with that. Battery should not drop that low unless battery is bad, or something is drawing a lot of power.
Also, you are getting low battery warning way too high. It should not come in until about 10.6v.

With all this said, you can see my confusion with indications of bad battery, bad controller, and bad camera gimbal board.
We have to start somewhere to sort this out. The intermittent nature of the battery drain, combined with the intermittent nature of the video signal, suggest we need to look at the voltage first. A good place to check it is at the camera connector.
If you have a Q500 4K it can be measured at the camera "hot shoe" connector as follows:
1.) remove camera.
2.) turn on drone.
3.) Keep "drone right" and "Drone Left" in mind, since you will be looking at it from underneath. See picture below. (double click the thumbnail image to view full sized.)
4.) Measure between "drone right" contact (negative) and "center contact" (battery positive). Voltage should be ~ 12 v with a fully charged battery, and should be constant.
Outside Front.jpg

"I really appreciate your time and help, I can't say thank you enough. My name is Phil btw."
My name is Tom, and glad to help. Big problem right now is I have to go offline, and will not be back online for more than a few seconds at a time until tomorrow afternoon or evening.

This may get complicated.
In general, how would judge you skills in this stuff? Knowing will help with what recommendations to offer.
Do you have access to another Q500, battery, controller, camera? That would help a lot in trouble shooting.
Did the drone come with a Steady Grip? That would be good to check the camera.
Do you have a smartphone? IF so, download the "CGo3" APP. It will connect to the Camera like the ST10, and would be a way to see if the camera WiFi has to be rebound every time on smartphone.

One thing you can do while I'm gone is rebind the controller. By this, I mean you need to create a new model on the controller, and bind the drone and camera to the new model. Sounds strange, but it often clears out a lot of issues. I will attach a copy of the manual, in case you don't have it.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm going to be gone awhile, and wanted to get as much preliminary stuff out as possible.

Be good, and I'll check back in tomorrow afternoon.
Tom B.

Attachments

• q500_4k_user_manual.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Did you slide the camera off and look at the wires to see if any are broken? Did you get the handheld unit for the camera that comes as part of the package? If so try that to see if it works. You also may want to review the telemetry files to see what kind of flight history it has. These thoughts are very quick things you can do before digging deeper

Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop