Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Need some help please

Reaction score
Hi folks,

As I'm totally new to this drone world I'm getting lost with everything I see on internet...

I just bought a gopro hero 7 black as I started rallying and I'm wondering if there is a drone that I could use it with and have the video feedback on goggles or screen?

You may still be able to find the GoPro Version of the Yuneec Q500, but I don't see them often these days.

It used to be a very common thing for GoPro cameras to be used on UAVs, but not so much any more. The drone that GoPro themselves built, the Karma, is no longer current or widely available (other than refurb), and likewise my own older TBS Discovery Pro setup is not available for purchase any more. Most new commercial drones come with their own lighter, cheaper cameras. The main exception to this is race quads; they can and still do use GoPro's, but again, most tend not to because they are trying to keep the weight down, or only require a low res camera for FPV flying. A lot of those race kits you have to build or assemble yourself from parts. That may not be ideal for you, but it is one of the only viable options left for fully customising the machine you fly. But there are RTF (ready to fly) race quads available if you look for them. Essentially in these setups the GoPro is connected to a 5.8GHz transmitter which then sends its signal to your 3rd party goggles or screens while you fly.

If you might be prepared to consider an unsupported refurb unit, you can still get a GoPro Karma drone for very reasonable prices, but I worry that even those might not fit a GoPro7 ! I think they were made to fit the GoPro 3 and 4.

The Google search you need to make that will be most helpful to you is probably something like 'RTF GoPro7 Drone YourCountry'.

Last edited:
You can still purchase a transmitter and receiver set for very little money. Back in the day to get video from the old Phantoms we had to install these onto the aircraft and make up our own 'groundstation' which consisted of the receiver, a portable monitor and a tripod along with a battery to power everything. The Transmitter had to be wired into the aircraft correctly to get the power feed and the video signal which, at the time; was fed through the Zenmuse gimbal. It actually 'plugged' into the back of the Gopro. However there is always the normal video-out port on the GoPro. My most recent is a 5 or 6 and it seems they (GoPro) are constantly changing things but I am sure someone has made a pigtail for a Gopro 7 that Plugs into the HDMI port and has a simple video out connector. Once you have that you're in business.

All together I think I spent around three hundred for everything that was needed to transmit and receive video. Here is a shot of my modded Phantom 2 which carried a Hero 3.

TranRec.jpg

Reactions: DoomMeister
As I'm totally new to this drone world I'm getting lost with everything I see on internet...
How much are you planning to invest?
Whatever drone you use to mount your GoPro, you are likely to see it crash and it may cause damage to your new camera.
I seriously recommend you start with a beginner model with a built-in camera until you get a good feel for how to fly. Something like the one below is a great way to begin. It has GPS with a built in camera and monitor.

That was the nice thing about GoPro waterproof hard cases. The camera usually survived when the drone didn’t when they crashed.

Unless we’re building a drone from the ground up the days of fitting a GoPro are pretty much over. If we bought a drone with a pretty good 4k camera any gains in removing it to use a GoPro will be minimal while the effort to make the GoPro fit and function as a replacement will be considerable. That does not consider the inconvenience factors that will be encountered every time you use it.

Reactions: Fred Garvin

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430