Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Boy from OZ

Reaction score
Greetings to ALL around the world.
I've been snooping for a few weeks since I decided to buy a drone and almost daily since I decided on a Typhoon H.
The Pro kit arrived on my doorstep this morning and all is looking good.
Spent 1/2 hr playing on the simulator trying to get the feel of the St16.
Will spend a couple more weeks on that before official lift-off.
Ordered some extra batteries and also got a decent charger with some adaptor cables.
30+ years of my life were spent in aviation, traveling the world and staying in ritzy(?) hotels
I know a lot of the jargon...lift-off, touch down, oh s..t and other choice phrases.
"take-off is easy, landing is the hard part"..at least this birds got autopilot_sort of.
Looking forward to asking lots of questions and hopefully one day giving advice.
I read a couple of post where I thought "gee I could help out here" then I looked and realised the post was over 2 years old...oh well.
Anyway hope YOUR team is winning over there in the USA (go the Pats) and I don't mean red or blue!!!
Hope the snow isn't too thick up there in the northern hemi.
Hope you Californians are starting to recover from all the grief you've been having.
We're having some of the same but much less intense so far, but summer's a commin.
Good luck to all
Cheers
Pete

Welcome to the Forum. It appears you have found your way around the site. The H is a great machine and practicing with the sim is the perfect way to learn the controls. In case you hadn't noticed it also allows you to change the wind speed.

You may have already found in your reading the 2 most important procedures with the H are making sure the battery is locked and allowing enough time on the ground to acquire all of the GPS data before starting the motors.

At a minimum, add these to your pre-flight routine:

Props are locked
Battery is locked and flush with the H
Battery voltage on the display is 16.3 or higher
Sat count on the H is at least 15, on the ST-16, 7 or more
Switches in the correct position
Open Hardware Monitor and test the sticks
Stand 30' away from the aircraft
Take off full throttle to 15', then test sticks.
Land when the battery voltage reads 14.7

If this is your first flight remove the camera until you can fly it well.

Welcome to the Forum. It appears you have found your way around the site. The H is a great machine and practicing with the sim is the perfect way to learn the controls. In case you hadn't noticed it also allows you to change the wind speed.

You may have already found in your reading the 2 most important procedures with the H are making sure the battery is locked and allowing enough time on the ground to acquire all of the GPS data before starting the motors.

At a minimum, add these to your pre-flight routine:

Props are locked
Battery is locked and flush with the H
Battery voltage on the display is 16.3 or higher
Sat count on the H is at least 15, on the ST-16, 7 or more
Switches in the correct position
Open Hardware Monitor and test the sticks
Stand 30' away from the aircraft
Take off full throttle to 15', then test sticks.
Land when the battery voltage reads 14.7

If this is your first flight remove the camera until you can fly it well.

That’s a good idea, removing the camera until you are good to go. [emoji106]

Fly in ANGLE MODE until you understand the parameters and charateristics of smart mode.

Welcome Pete
Sorry to pour water on your enthusiasm but be warned, I purchased my H about 1 1/2 years back have just returned from 10 weeks in Aus and took the trouble to cart my H all the way there and back hoping to get some fantastic pics etc which I did. Alas after several successful flights the H suddenly dropped out of the sky from about 300 ft crashing on a beach fortunately empty early in the morning, the damage is extensive camera totally trashed including sd card in two pieces so no pics. The event took me totally by surprise the only indication I got was a quick warning on the st16 screen looked down looked up the H had gone straight down on the beach, all props damaged 1 motor arm damaged undercarriage broken but still works. Have emailed Yuneec UK no response yet, looking on this forum I am not the only one to suffer such a crash, although in no way would I consider my self an expert pilot less than 10 hours flying the H I am diligent in my pre flight routine as above. It appears according to this forum the fault that causes total power failure is the battery overheating melting solder contacts resulting in temporary total power loss. On retrieving my H the first thing I checked was the battery lock, it was locked then checked battery power level at least 2/3 full. It crashed from the hover position there was little wind no trees or birds about temp about 22c just taking pics so I discount any form of pilot error. The battery is original Yuneec one in fact the only one I have and always charge it as per instructions. Have still to contact Yuneec UK and I think conversations will be interesting to say the least. Although the H is repairable for about £400 the problem is will the same fault occur again?????

Or maybe should I buy something cheap like a DroneX Pro less than £100, think I may do that just to check out the camera and all the claims there adverts are making.

Just a foot note doing some research on other forums other well known brands of drones are not immune to this problem.

Greetings JJT,
On reading your unfortunate problem I am wondering if only having one battery may be part of the problem.
Do you let the battery cool for an hour or so before recharging?
if not the accumulation of heat from a) charging before flying, b) flying, c) recharging could create an inordinate amount of heat sink and buildup.
Therefore when you go to the next flight more heat is created and whoops there's a problem.
Just musing!!!
How old is the battery? How many cycles?
Personally, I hate LiPo's, always have, probably always will.
Although technology has improved somewhat since my last encounter with such.
I just wish they would invent something that doesn't have a tendency to overheat, swell, blow up or catch fire.
They probably have!!! I don't think the latest mission to Mars used LiPo's!?
Hope that Yuneec UK comes at least partway to the party with your rebuild.
Good luck and thanks for the "warning"
I'm just getting a picture of you passing thru Her Majesty's Customs and having to open the bag.
Customs Officer..."WTF"
Yes officer I collect broken drone pieces so I can build my own, much cheaper that way !!!!
Cheers
Pete

Reactions: DoomMeister
Welcome Pete
Sorry to pour water on your enthusiasm but be warned, I purchased my H about 1 1/2 years back have just returned from 10 weeks in Aus and took the trouble to cart my H all the way there and back hoping to get some fantastic pics etc which I did. Alas after several successful flights the H suddenly dropped out of the sky from about 300 ft crashing on a beach fortunately empty early in the morning, the damage is extensive camera totally trashed including sd card in two pieces so no pics. The event took me totally by surprise the only indication I got was a quick warning on the st16 screen looked down looked up the H had gone straight down on the beach, all props damaged 1 motor arm damaged undercarriage broken but still works. Have emailed Yuneec UK no response yet, looking on this forum I am not the only one to suffer such a crash, although in no way would I consider my self an expert pilot less than 10 hours flying the H I am diligent in my pre flight routine as above. It appears according to this forum the fault that causes total power failure is the battery overheating melting solder contacts resulting in temporary total power loss. On retrieving my H the first thing I checked was the battery lock, it was locked then checked battery power level at least 2/3 full. It crashed from the hover position there was little wind no trees or birds about temp about 22c just taking pics so I discount any form of pilot error. The battery is original Yuneec one in fact the only one I have and always charge it as per instructions. Have still to contact Yuneec UK and I think conversations will be interesting to say the least. Although the H is repairable for about £400 the problem is will the same fault occur again?????

Or maybe should I buy something cheap like a DroneX Pro less than £100, think I may do that just to check out the camera and all the claims there adverts are making.

Just a foot note doing some research on other forums other well known brands of drones are not immune to this problem.

Can you post your telemetry files from that crash. Check the How To section for instructions on getting them from the ST-16, zip them and use the Attach files to post.

I'm just getting a picture of you passing thru Her Majesty's Customs and having to open the bag.
Customs Officer..."WTF"
Yes officer I collect broken drone pieces so I can build my own, much cheaper that way !!!!
Cheers
Pete

Gotta respect a mate with a wonderful sense of humor:p

Sorry for your loss to the crash victim, please post those files if you can. We usually do a good job of analyzing them here on the forum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval