Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New CGO3+ Camera from Yuneec!

Reaction score
Received a new CGO3+ camera from Yuneec today. This is my 3rd CGO3+ camera (previous 2 had issues). Some photos attached.

I had sent my "gimbal cover holder" along with my broken CGO3+ back to Yuneec. The replacement camera did not come with the gimbal cover holder. Yuneec has opened a ticket to have one sent to me. For those returning their CG03+ to Yuneec, DO NOT return the gimbal cover.

I attached the new camera to the Typhoon H then powered on the ST16 & Typhoon H. Then went into SETTINGS on the ST16 and selected the new camera (since it has a different MAC address than the previous one). Then selected "BIND" and entered the default password "1234567890". Camera connected with no problems.

You can see what is included in the box in the photos:

- Camera with gimbal
- Camera UV lens ring, without the lens??? There was a UV lens already installed on the camera. Cleaning cloth included.
- The camera gimbal connector which provides power to the camera assembly (located on the bottom of the Typhoon H). I now have this extra one. It also comes with an allen key and screws for installation.
- Panasonic 16 Gig class 10, U3 Micro SD. The memory card is ready for use (no Yuneec manuals or videos are installed on it). Also included is a Micro SD adaptor.
- There is a manual included which just explains how to install and remove the UV lens.

CAMERA1x.jpg

Camera2x.jpg

Camera3x.jpg

Camera4x.jpg

Camera5x.jpg

Camera6x.jpg

It's raining out so I can't fly and test the camera. Next best thing is to try a few stationary tests. Picture of my boring guest bedroom with natural light from the window.

Below are six PHOTOS that were taken using the JPG format with the new CGO3+ camera. JPG format means that the camera has compressed the photo and added some photo enhancement based on my selection of IMAGE. Auto White balance was used for all photos. The six photos are:

1. Image style NATURAL (full image) - Looks fine, colors & detail are natural looking and outer edges are not distorted. This mode adds a slight bit of sharpening & color.
2. Image style GORGEOUS (full image) - Looks fine, colors have been enhanced & detail has been sharpened. Outer edges remain non-distorted.
3. Image style JPG RAW (full image) - This is JPG RAW which means that it is a JPG file with no enhancements. detail is much softer but still fine. Outer edges remain non-distored. Camera compresses file into JPG format.

The last 3 pictures are a crop of the picture on the wall at 100%. This is to see if the camera can pickup the detail in the picture & exactly how does it enhance it.

4. Image style NATURAL - Detail looks fine and colors look fine (in this mode the camera slighly sharpens the picture)
5. Image style GORGEOUS - Detail has been enhanced & sharpening has been increased.
6. Image style JPG RAW - No enhancements to the image. Camera compresses file into JPG format.

From the pictures below you can see that if you are taken a PHOTO with the CGO3+ and you DO NOT plan to do any post processing to it, then the NATURAL or RAW JPG image style would be best. However, if you plan to use a photo direct out of the camera, than the GORGEOUS is a good option.

NATURALBED.jpg

GORGEOUSBED.jpg

RAWJPGBED.jpg

NATURALPIC.jpg

GORGEOUSPIC.jpg

RAWJPGPIC.jpg

Reactions: Samuel Fowler
Here is a PHOTO of the spare bedroom taken in DNG (RAW). This means whatever light that is entering the lens is going straight to the sensor with no enhancements. The file retains much more information for use in post processing.

The second photo is basic post processing (done in APERTURE) of the original RAW photo. I have not removed the camera noise (caused by the lower light). The camera image appears acceptable. Next, an outdoor test.

Photo 1: DNG (RAW) image
Photo 2: Automatic Post Processed RAW image in the Aperture software

EDIT: Sorry, previous post had same picture below twice. I've corrected that.

RAW_BEDROOM.jpg

RAW_PROCESSED.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the illustration as it helps us to decide which of the camera settings are available for use. Hope this camera (your 3rd) turns out to be less problematic.

Outdoor photos: Auto White Balance used.

1st Photo: Image set on NATURAL. Objects near and far appear to be well focused. Only a slight bit of sharphening is happening.
2nd Photo: Image set on GORGEOUS. Objects are more sharp & colors are more enhanced.
3rd Photo: Image set on JPG RAW (no enhancements). Objects are soft and colors are soft (best for post processing later).

NATURAL.jpg

GORGEOUS.jpg

NOENHANCE.jpg

Thanks for the illustration as it helps us to decide which of the camera settings are available for use. Hope this camera (your 3rd) turns out to be less problematic.

Thanks! So far it looks like it is the camera that Yuneec originally advertized to come with the Typhoon H (i.e., proper colors, proper clarity, proper focus and very little lens distortion).

However.... I tried the 120 FPS at 1080P and the jagged horizontal lines appear in the image of distant objects like all the other Typhoon H cameras out there. Hopefully Yuneec will release the firmware update to fix this soon.

The 3 photos below are a 100% crop of the center of the 3 pictures above. This is to show detail and enhancements.... and possibly limitations of the camera.

1st Photo: Image is set to NATURAL. Notice that the camera adds just a touch of sharpening and color enhancement. You can make out the numbers on the left. The street name on the blue sign is visible. The stop sign letters are visible and you can almost make out the speed limit (40) on the distant sign behind the stop sign.

2nd Photo: Image is set to GORGEOUS. The camera has enhanced the image. Sharpening of the image has been increased as well as the color. Look at the sharpening done to the tree in the centre... The sharpening causes a fine line around objects against a neutral background like the sky. The speed limit sign in the far distance (behind the stop sign) is now easier to read.

3rd Photo: Image is set to JPG RAW. No camera enhancements have been done. Because of this, the actual lens and sensor quality can be seen before the camera adds any enhancements. Colors are very flat and the image is soft (not blurry). Good image for post processing.

NATURAL.jpg

GORGEOUS.jpg

NOENHANCED.jpg

Here is a picture of the photo above taken in DNG (RAW). This photo has much more info in it available for post processing. The second photo is a post processed version of the RAW photo. I just place the RAW photo in Aperture and did a basic automatic processing.

PHOTO 1: DNG (RAW)
PHOTO 2: DNG (RAW) auto processed in Aperture software

DNG_RAW.jpg

DNG_RAW_PROCESSED.jpg

Captain, Glad you seem to have a GOOD camera for once! Nice explanations! I am lost on the Jpeg raw one though? Is it an option? I just been shooting in dng, if not Gorgeous/Natural, maybe I just missed seeing Jpeg Raw? Thanks and glad you are happy !:)

Hey DC,

The JPG RAW is similar to DNG. The difference is that it makes a much smaller file on the Micro SD than the DNG file, and because it is a smaller file the JPG RAW has some of it's information stripped away. Both the JPG RAW and DNG RAW accept no enhancements from the camera, so what you get is a straight image onto the camera sensor with no software enhancements. Colors look dull and image has a soft focus to it. The only reason these file formats exist is for photographers who wish to do post processing to the image in Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture or a thousand other software enhancement programs.

To get to the JPG RAW, you have to first select the file format. You have two options DNG or JPG. Select JPG, then go to your IMAGE STYLE screen and select RAW.

NOTE: If you wanted a big file with next to no information stripped away (which is perfect for post processing), then you would select DNG as your file format (as you have been doing).

JPG RAW.jpg

Reactions: DroneClone
Thanks again Captain ! Yes I have been using dng, just never delved into see the Jpeg raw! Thanks a Ton !

Hey Captain, I do believe your wrong on the Image Style setting. This only refers to video that is shot, not the photo mod. Unless things have change from the CGO3 to the CGO3+ its only for video not Jpegs.
This is the old setup sheet for the CGO3, can you confirm its different on the new CGO3+??

Attachments

• CGO3 Setup Options.pdf
    184.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Video Mode Sheet.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 34
Captain seems to be correct, you just choose Jpeg over DNG, then select Raw, instead of Gorgeous or Natural in "Image Mode" Makes sense!?

Hey Captain, I do believe your wrong on the Image Style setting. This only refers to video that is shot, not the photo mod. Unless things have change from the CGO3 to the CGO3+ its only for video not Jpegs.
This is the old setup sheet for the CGO3, can you confirm its different on the new CGO3+??

Yes, I am 100% certain. As you can see in one of my pictures above of the ST16, when in CAMERA mode (not video), you have a total of 4 Image setting options.

Last edited:
Yes, I am 100% certain. As you can see in one of my pictures above of the ST16, when in CAMERA mode (not video), you have a total of 4 Image setting options. Also, are you sure you read this thread correctly? All of the photos on here were taken in CAMERA mode at the one and only camera resolution that the Typhoon H offers.
I guess this new one still has plastic lens elements?

Hey DC,

The JPG RAW is similar to DNG. The difference is that it makes a much smaller file on the Micro SD than the DNG file, and because it is a smaller file the JPG RAW has some of it's information stripped away. Both the JPG RAW and DNG RAW accept no enhancements from the camera, so what you get is a straight image onto the camera sensor with no software enhancements. Colors look dull and image has a soft focus to it. The only reason these file formats exist is for photographers who wish to do post processing to the image in Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture or a thousand other software enhancement programs.

To get to the JPG RAW, you have to first select the file format. You have two options DNG or JPG. Select JPG, then go to your IMAGE STYLE screen and select RAW.

NOTE: If you wanted a big file with next to no information stripped away (which is perfect for post processing), then you would select DNG as your file format (as you have been doing).

View attachment 1774

I prefer RAW DNG, but which program is best for openning and postprocess in MAC (other than Photoshop)?
Tks!

It still looks like sharpness falls away after a couple of feet or so to be honest, look at the brickwork on the ground, it gets sharper closer to the camera. Further away it's not as sharp.

JPG RAW is just a flat JPG, you can't adjust white balance afterwards without a big loss of quality etc. It's a really poor choice to name it RAW instead of flat.

I prefer RAW DNG, but which program is best for openning and postprocess in MAC (other than Photoshop)?
Tks!

It depends on what you wish to achieve. Of course Photoshop is the big boy with it's layers and maskings, but if you wanted something less intimidating there is Photoshop Elements. I use Aperture for basic editing (it is no longer available). Lightroom is really powerful.

Now if you're one of those people who just wants to take a photo, stick it in a program and have the program make the photo turn from boring to WOW! Then you'd want either a "plug-in" to Photoshop or Lightroom, or you can spend very little money and get Aurora HDR. There are two versions... one which only uses JPG files and one which uses JPG & RAW files (the second is more expensive). I tried sticking the JPG RAW file of the photo above in it to see the results. Results are shown below (1st photo is the original JPG RAW, 2nd photo is a half & half, 3rd photo is the final product).

All of these programs and many more can be purchased on your MAC via the APP store. Many you can try out for free without ever paying.

RAWOUTSIDE.jpg

RAWWOW.jpg

WOW.jpg

Reactions: TopFlightTexas
It still looks like sharpness falls away after a couple of feet or so to be honest, look at the brickwork on the ground, it gets sharper closer to the camera. Further away it's not as sharp.

JPG RAW is just a flat JPG, you can't adjust white balance afterwards without a big loss of quality etc. It's a really poor choice to name it RAW instead of flat.

You can see the sharpness in the 100% crops, both in the room shots and outdoors. I'm actually just cropping the tiny center of the larger photo. The sharpness is really good for this level of cropping.

The JPG RAW and the DNG RAW both provide no enhancements to the final image. Because the JPG file gets largely compressed, it suffers further by having much of the photo data stripped away, so it's not great in post photo processing programs.

I agree 100% with the naming conventions. What is worse is that if you select DNG for a file format, it still allows you to select Natural, Gorgeous. But none of those apply because when you select DNG, every shot is in RAW with no enhancements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval