Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New extended drone no-fly zone in place from 13 March 2019

Graham,

I also got an email through CAA SkyWise updating on exemptions. the last one should be of interest to all UK PfCOs - its for ops with a 'Competent Observer'. Essentially says the pilot can legally stare at the screen at all times if the observer is right nearby and has full line of sight.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1297.pdf

Paragragh 4 is interesting though;

4) The remote pilot must not fly the small unmanned aircraft:
a) within the flight restriction zone of a protected aerodrome unless in receipt of the appropriate permission as required within article 94A or the Order;
b) at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface (see Note 3);
c) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
d) Within 50 metres of any person, vessel, vehicle or structure that is not under the control of the SUA operator or the remote pilot, except that during take-off and landing this distance may be reduced to 30 metres.

The wording of d) seems to suggest we now have the exemption of 30m whilst landing for all non-controlled assets, versus the old 50m for all but persons.

Would love to hear what the CAA has to say about that!

Reactions: Graham
Graham,

I also got an email through CAA SkyWise updating on exemptions. the last one should be of interest to all UK PfCOs - its for ops with a 'Competent Observer'. Essentially says the pilot can legally stare at the screen at all times if the observer is right nearby and has full line of sight.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/1297.pdf

Paragragh 4 is interesting though;

The wording of d) seems to suggest we now have the exemption of 30m whilst landing for all non-controlled assets, versus the old 50m for all but persons.

Would love to hear what the CAA has to say about that!
Some might think that for the Typhoons and H520, that 30m is rather conservative. I think that if an 'intruder' were within 30m, I think I might walk to them and inform them what I was doing. In Ireland, the max distance limit is 300m and distance from people/objects is 30m and I wonder if the CAA has collaborated with the IAA.

Irish regs here; Drones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal