Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

new faa comment period has opened

Reaction score
just got a emal from the faa as follows

FAA Moving Forward to Enable Safe Integration of Drones​

WASHINGTON – The FAA published airworthiness criteria for the proposed certification of 10 different Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) or drones as special class aircraft. This is a crucial step to enabling more complex drone operations beyond what is allowed under the small unmanned aircraft rule (Part 107), including package delivery.
“The development of airworthy, durable, and reliable unmanned aircraft is a crucial step forward for this innovative sector,” said Dr. Michael C. Romanowski, director of Aircraft Certification Service Policy and Innovation. “Type certification will help increase both public and regulatory confidence in drone technology as operations become more advanced.”
The airworthiness criteria provide a level of safety equivalent to that provided by existing airworthiness standards applicable to other categories of aircraft, and establish a defined path to type certification for specific drones. Each applicant seeking a type certificate must follow FAA’s requirements and safety objectives.
Airworthiness criteria notices are published in the Federal Register for the following applicants:
The applicants’ drones range from five to 89 pounds and include several types of vehicle designs, including both fixed wing and rotorcraft, and are all electric powered. Each notice outlines the applicant’s proposed UAS for certification and the airworthiness criteria proposed by the FAA.
This is a step in the certification process and does not imply these applicants have earned type certificates. Final determination of whether a specific drone meets FAA safety requirements will occur after the applicant demonstrates they have complied with these requirements.
The public has 30 days to comment on each applicant’s airworthiness criteria, and deadlines are specified in each individual notice. The FAA will consider the comments as it establishes criteria for type certifying each UAS and will publish final airworthiness criteria after the comment period closes.

Yeah..it's always under the guise of safety. This is just the first step to more gov regulation and control...They want to get rid of the hobby drone flyers by making harder and expensive for hobby drone owners to fly. Only commercial operators will be allowed. Slowly but surely they are going to require formal training, a flight test to get a drone pilots license, a medical card and liability insurance...

Reactions: Mike Irish
Well, clearly, these applicants are planning commercial operations well beyond visual line of sight and with payloads. The FAA wants to make sure that these operations can be performed safely. I can't argue with that. But, it's not clear yet where recreational UAS operations fit into all this. I just hope they don't try to relegate us to specific flying fields only. That may be the situation, though, for UAS that do not have some form of Remote ID. Will all us recreational flyers be forced to buy a Mavic Mini?

Well, clearly, these applicants are planning commercial operations well beyond visual line of sight and with payloads. The FAA wants to make sure that these operations can be performed safely. I can't argue with that. But, it's not clear yet where recreational UAS operations fit into all this. I just hope they don't try to relegate us to specific flying fields only. That may be the situation, though, for UAS that do not have some form of Remote ID. Will all us recreational flyers be forced to buy a Mavic Mini?
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone read any of the applications? I read Amazon's. Anyone here think they could preflight and fly up to twenty aircraft? That is what Amazon envisions.

Has anyone read any of the applications? I read Amazon's. Anyone here think they could preflight and fly up to twenty aircraft? That is what Amazon envisions.
Yes, I caught that in another application too. I suppose, if each drone were running its own pre-programmed flight plan, then the operator would only have to monitor the flights and make corrections as necessary. Starting to look like a SiFi movie. :oops:

We can only hope that Daisy finds that her morning Starbucks is too cold or has bug guts on it when it arrives via drone delivery. Or that Amazon Prime drone delivery proves to be a major drain on the company and disappears in a relatively short span of time.

Can I see railroad and utility companies using drones to survey their infrastructure or scan for leaks in natural gas lines or other repetitive type tasks, a most resounding YES! Those can be mapped and added to sectional charts with stated times and altitudes for survey flights.

The only thing RID is being implemented for is to rid the skies of recreational pilots and small business 107 operators. I have a one finger salute for the big corporate takeover of the low altitude airspace and it isn’t a #1.

Submitting comments to the FAA is like telling your wife something she doesn't want to hear..... just falls on deaf ears, they have had the rules written up for them by the industry money and have zero interest in listening to those that actually pay their wages... The proven travesty that is the FAA need to be cleaned out of the utter failures that pollute every office... Boeing's MCAS (Must Crash Aircraft System) proved the FAA is nothing but failures on the corporate payroll.

Reactions: Mike Irish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me