Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New FAA regs for 2023 regarding remote identification of drones and other UAS

Just received an email from Vertigo drones for a remote device able to fasten to any drone. Price is $299.00I guess it's time for all of us to decide. Almost half the price of a drone.The weather was very windy this summer,and I did not fly on the days where the index said solar interferense, which was an every week occurance.Looking forward to comments from fellow Yuneekers. Peace. KC

The RID has been on schedule for the past 3 years going on 4. RID will be necessary for any drone or other RC aircraft over 250 grams flown anywhere except a FRIA (AMA field for example) or any drone flown for §107 purposes.

Just received an email from Vertigo drones for a remote device able to fasten to any drone. Price is $299.00I guess it's time for all of us to decide. Almost half the price of a drone.The weather was very windy this summer,and I did not fly on the days where the index said solar interferense, which was an every week occurance.Looking forward to comments from fellow Yuneekers. Peace. KC
This may be one of the first on the market, but is overkill for what is required by the FAA. We do not need to comply with EU standards nor do we need cellular capabilities to comply.

Probably FAA will accept something from EASA, so it better is to be in the flow.

Attachments

• ASD-STAN_DRI_Introduction_to_the_European_digital_RID_UAS_Standard.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
This was the topic of discussion recently with some drone community watchdog type people.

I did like the above videos, but, older drones may never get the RID device. Simply because as every year that passes it gets harder to find batteries for our older drones. So, would one buy an RID to attach to an old Q500? I feel that enforcement will be hard or lacking for police have more important matters to deal with. And, this comes from my own experience and talking with local cops in my area. I have been told that as long as I'm operating my drone "in a safe and respectful manner" they are not interested in me, if at all.

I'm beginning to wonder if all this RID stuff is really for years down the road when Amazon and other company's start flying packages all over the place and need to know where other drones are in the under 400 foot airspace.

I did like the above videos, but, older drones may never get the RID device. Simply because as every year that passes it gets harder to find batteries for our older drones. So, would one buy an RID to attach to an old Q500? I feel that enforcement will be hard or lacking for police have more important matters to deal with. And, this comes from my own experience and talking with local cops in my area. I have been told that as long as I'm operating my drone "in a safe and respectful manner" they are not interested in me, if at all.

I'm beginning to wonder if all this RID stuff is really for years down the road when Amazon and other company's start flying packages all over the place and need to know where other drones are in the under 400 foot airspace.
Me thinks you hit the mail on the head!

Reactions: rchrdbarnard2
I can propose a more practical approach to the case. To prepare own forum remote ID unit for H480. The connecting point is the camera sliding connector. All communication is analyzed yet and all necessary fields are available. What to propagate and with what technology is a second question. The first question is, is there someone who wants to produce a unit like this one? It'll help with some information and ideas if the candidate is reliable and listen to what other people say.

As a hobby flier, I will not comply with the RID unless it is really inexpensive. $300 is way out of line for a hobbyist. RID is unconstitutional and courts should put the matter to rest. There has been zero studies made that would prove increased safety to the public or manned aviation. It's like the gun control or drunk driving argument. Criminals break the laws no matter how many laws there are. No matter how hard you try. You can't regulate stupid!!!! The FAA can not make laws. I honestly can't see how RID make the skies safer. How many people have been killed or injured because of hobby flying multiple rotor aircraft? Zero.
Pete.

The basics of remote ID are in very another topic. In the EU this is GDPR, don't know the US equivalent.

I think a lot of folks that are relatively new to drones (last 5 years or so) cannot see the reasoning behind RID. I will start by saying: I am not for RID, I repeat: NOT for RID. :cool: But the issue of over-reaching regulations; is one the 'drone community' has brought upon itself. In the second video posted by @Steve Carr - the guy in that video states at :36 seconds that:

"the drone and model aircraft hobby used to be fairly loosely regulated, in terms of a past-time and profession, with rules increasing as the popularity of camera drones increased"

It was not the popularity or numbers of camera drones that caused the rules increase; but rather a few aspects of the modern drone that caused the PILOTS of said drones to fly in places and in manners that NO RC aircraft had before - many times crashing and causing those that regulate to think 'what if'. Those aspects that were different? A drone could be -1] Launched from anywhere at anytime, - 2] Drones took no skill to launch or fly, and - 3] could be purchased without any understanding or knowledge of airspace or basic rules. All 3 of these conditions still exist to this day with few exceptions.

MODEL AVIATION - RC
A little history: In the US, model aviation was self-regulated for over 70 years. Note: it was NOT 'loosely' regulated, and I would go so far as to say it was very 'tightly' regulated in comparison to drones today. The process by which one got into RC was in fact; the keystone to RC's self-regulatory success. Becoming a competent pilot meant interaction with other competent, experienced pilots, flying from fixed flying fields (clubs) that had their own unique set of rules. You didn't just show up and fly, there were pit procedures, impound procedures, runway and taxiway procedures, flight patterns and much much more. The AMA safety code was always in your mind, if you were a pilot back then, it was because you knew, (and stuck to) the system. If you couldn't get your head around these things - you didn't last long.

DRONES
When the modern drone came about - no one had to show up at such a field, there was no instruction, for the most part, no experienced mentors, there weren't too many 'Drone' videos and forums like this either, not around or; in their infancy. It is no surprise that over half of new pilots are shocked to find out that not only do they have to register their drone but have to take a TRUST test just to fly for fun? The concept of controlled airspace is non-existent to many newbs. The closest thing drone pilots have to that 'system' that we had as RC pilots are forums like this one. The problem is: no one has to read or ever see these forums before they can find out the hard way.

Drone pilots are a massive group of scattered, disconnected and in general, uniformed - (about those things we must know as pilots) - individuals. There is no structure to greet, educate and train new pilots. Once drones started showing up in places they never should have been, we placed ourselves squarely in the eyes of the FAA and regulatory bodies around the world.

I am of the opinion that the implementation of RID will indeed 'fail' but only to bring about other attempts by regulators to force drone pilots into a shrinking sliver of select airspace where in the end, most will leave the hobby or comply unfortunately.

You make some good points here @Ty Pilot. Indeed older RC aircraft were both expensive and required a lot of skill to fly. So the "Ready to Fly" drones changed the industry and introduced millions of new owners.

I see a lot of similarities between 'Drones' and motorcycles, in that; each of these groups tend to have (or give) a negative vibe (in general) to those that don't participate in these activities. While at the same time, both drones and motorcyclists (as groups) have had the entire group 'painted' so to speak, by a relative few bad apples shall we say?

For instance motorcycle gangs of the 60s and 70s as well as todays flash highway mobs of bikers make other motorists think we are all like that. In the same way, that guy that flew the Phantom 2 down the mouth of 'Ole Faithful' years ago is the poster child for why we don't get to fly in National Parks. 🤔

I have long tried to think of a way that the entrance to drone flight could be similar to how it was for RC. I don't blame newcomers for not knowing all the ins and outs as soon as they buy a drone, and just wish there was an answer as to how this could be fixed. I have suggested on occasion that purchasing drones over a certain point (weight, cost, capability perhaps), would require one to simply show that he/she has passed (for instance) the TRUST. But I get a lot of blow back from that of course, and people start talking about their rights and the constitution. . . you know the drill. 🤣

Oh well, just thinking out loud. :cool:

Knowledge of the rules should be proved before purchase (or at least the first flight), but as you have said there is a lot of opposition to that from manufacturers, retailers, and end users.

I guess when I got my first heavy drone (Breeze) I was a bit odd by getting online and searching for rules for flight. I knew controlling it would be considerably easier than the first two I owned. A micro quad that was less than 2 inches across and then a Hubsan that was about 5 inches across with a fixed 1080p camera (no video feed). Neither had GPS and were terrible in wind. Very lightweight and were like controlling a leaf when the breeze picked up.

People spouting off about their constitutional rights, as @Ty Pilot mentioned above, the one thing you can be certain of is that they don't have a clue how all of that works. The "me" generation has never been taught, their constitutional rights end where everyone else's begin. Teachers today don't even understand it. Bottom line, that attitude, is what leads to regulation, good or bad. The Bureaucrats have to have their "feel good" moments. No matter how poorly thought out.

The government protecting us from ourselves by forcing manufacturers to modify appliances to be “safer” has gotten into everything produced including drones.

The last new electric stove I bought has sensors on the heating elements. I can barely boil water on the high setting and getting to a vigorous boil needed for pasta or dumplings is impossible.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
As a hobby flier, I will not comply with the RID unless it is really inexpensive. $300 is way out of line for a hobbyist. RID is unconstitutional and courts should put the matter to rest. There has been zero studies made that would prove increased safety to the public or manned aviation. It's like the gun control or drunk driving argument. Criminals break the laws no matter how many laws there are. No matter how hard you try. You can't regulate stupid!!!! The FAA can not make laws. I honestly can't see how RID make the skies safer. How many people have been killed or injured because of hobby flying multiple rotor aircraft? Zero.
Pete.
Trust me. You have no idea what the FAA can regulate in terms of the national airspace. Which includes the sky above your property (ask anyone who lives close to an airport) Now enforcing it will be a nightmare, and thats where I think RID for all practical purposes will be a paper tiger, unless you bring attention to yourself. Walmart cant find tire techs! Is the govt gonna hire drone police!?!

Walmart cant find tire techs! Is the govt gonna hire drone police!?!
I'm sure there will be a steady stream of washouts from police academies and TSA, with resumes at the ready... 🤔

Reactions: 7cyclops

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss