Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New plus coming

Reaction score
Heyo folks, like title states-new plus coming. (Been flying the H and Q500 for a long while). Searching forums for a while about the plus and it’s apparent some rolled off the factory floor with issues and some not. I’m afraid that when it comes, in spite of it’s pristine condition, it’s going to have issues. So, that said, has anyone officially, or unofficially, identified what batches have issues and what ones don’t? Or is it just “buy and hope for the best”?

Is there a way to identify the year it was built via serial numbers, or are numbers all the same? If Identifying the year one could theoretically match up the time period of the drones with issues?

There’s been a huge amount of discussion over the firmware builds (700’s/800’s) and which one is better. The discussions are overwhelming in search and conventional wisdom is if it’s not broke and flys fine, then don’t upgrade, but that seems off to me. An upgrade is an upgrade and should be done.

I guess I’m not 100% sure how to ask what I’m asking, but said another way-how will I know I have one of the plus’ with issues before flying, aside from it flying into a wall on me, or flying away, or refusing to land (all of which were noted problems in all the searches). At what point did yuneec iron out the gremlins I guess is what I’m asking, and how to identify it? Paying $1300 for a plus it scares me it’ll crash on first flight, or do something stupid (I’ve paid less than $600 for my 3 H drones so there wasn’t angst if I were to crash one). As far as the beginning of 2019’ people seemed to be having issues from what I’ve found.

Thanks for any feedback.

Okay is here a rundown and short history of the H Plus as some of what you have stated is a little incorrect.

The H Plus is a very stable flyer and has a relatively low occurrence of true fly aways - and by true - I mean flyaways not caused by misuse and user-error in operations, there have been a few, but relatively speaking this is not a problem with the Plus.

I was one of the first US members on this forum with a Plus and in fact in exactly one week it will be two years old - ZERO Problems. Let me repeat that - no problems. ;)

The first issues began with the second update in August of 2018, the first update (which I reluctantly did) gave some of the Plus's gimbal shakes - mine did not. From there onward for the better part of the first year; every update was meant to fix these shakes with a few minor tweaks to add some more functionality - most of which was not (to me) worth the risk to update.

Some found that adding weight to the gimbal would fix the shakes others continued to hope for the magic update that never came. One piece of advice you seem to be at odds with (and thats okay) is the saying 'if it aint broke don't fix it'. First of all; they were firmware updates - not upgrades, this distinction is very important because in many cases they were literally a downgrade as in; it worked perfectly before the update and now it doesn't - trust me you don't want to be stranded on that island. ;) The things that were added like a digital zoom and something else that I have forgotten, were so useless that they didn't appeal to many. A digital zoom? thats is something you can do in post.

My Advice?

If you're buying used, the primary thing is to find out if it has the gimbal issues - it either will or will not. If it does, it's not worth anywhere near that figure and if it doesn't, then thats a good place to start. Next I would ask to see the logs, how many flights, has it ever crashed, been tipped over, dropped and so on. As for worrying about what firmware it is on? That is inconsequential, as at this point in the game - there will be no new updates, no customer service, parts will be difficult to impossible to find and batteries are getting very rare.

If it were me I would find out the flight number - once the batteries have 100 flights they are near end of life and will barely give 12 to 14 minutes in good conditions - for this reason I would look to see if you can secure new ones if the stock ones are old.

The H Plus is a fantastic camera platform and the C23 is STILL at the top of the consumer drone class in terms of imagery nearly two years after release - it is that good. Even with all the risk and lack of support and spares, if you can find a good one, and are a competent pilot, it should serve you well until you can no longer find batteries. However, because of lack of support and spares it will be very unforgiving to any misuse or lack of proper operation. The threads for the PLUS are packed with a ton of sticky topics that will be here for you to read all of the nuances that the Plus may have and I would advise any new Plus owner to pour through them first and get a good idea of how to operate a Plus.

I almost forgot to add one thing; when you get it, you can check to see what firmware it is on and my guess it will be one of the later firmware updates as only the first few sold had the 513 (May 13 2018) firmware - mine was one, the next firmware was 8(something - sorry I forgot the exact dates), it was this firmware that gave nearly all of the functionality that the Plus would ever get - back to the Plus.

So in conclusion, if you get your Plus and it starts up and flies great and the camera doesn't shake, well I would call yourself one of the lucky ones and keep in mind that there is very little else that ANY Plus will ever have that yours doesn't; unless of course, you just like a shakey gimbal. ? ;)

I almost forgot to add one thing; when you get it, you can check to see what firmware it is on and my guess it will be one of the later firmware updates as only the first few sold had the 513 (May 13 2018) firmware - mine was one, the next firmware was 8(something - sorry I forgot the exact dates), it was this firmware that gave nearly all of the functionality that the Plus would ever get - back to the Plus.

So in conclusion, if you get your Plus and it starts up and flies great and the camera doesn't shake, well I would call yourself one of the lucky ones and keep in mind that there is very little else that ANY Plus will ever have that yours doesn't; unless of course, you just like a shakey gimbal. [emoji38] ;)

Excellent info, perfect. Thank you.

I guess my queries, and statements, were a victim of the search function on this site- in that the threads found are tantamount to a person winning all the time with scratch tickets or the lottery, you only hear about all the winners and never the losers. To go searching through these forums, and all the posts about issues, you come away with the feeling that the plus is a constant problem for folks, but we only hear about the bad issues and never the successful flights.

Appreciate the feedback, was on point.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I agree, there is so much info on the forum it tends to overshadow itself so I just wanted to give you my opinion. I hope your's turns out to be a good one but if not there are a few on here who we can call on to give us what they did to solve their problems. Good luck and please do report back whatever you decide to do.

Excellent. [emoji1303]

Don't mind all the horror stories you hear, about but keep them in mind if you are one of those unfortunate ones that has some of these problems.
You have lots of very learned friends here that can help you along.
My advice to you is
1: Get a good battery charger that will not only charge your batteries but balance charge them and can put them into storage mode. This charger will allow you to charge four batteries at once and It is just what I need for a hassle free days flying.I will post a link to the charger that I highly recommend. If you cant afford this charger you won't go far wrong with the (T240 DUO) the only thing it will only charge two batteries at a time.
2: The H Plus isn't your old sadate H480 copter it is a speed demon in comparison so until you get the feel of it fly it in LOW SPEED MODE You will thank me for the advice?.
3: Batteries get the GiFi Hiv batteries every bit as good as the OEM's but a slot eiser on the pocket.
Hope this helps you out.H Plus GiFi Beay bat.jpg Happy flying.
Mike
New 4 bat charger.jpg

Last edited:
Don't mind all the horror stories you hear, about but keep them in mind if you are one of those unfortunate ones that has some of these problems.
You have lots of very learned friends here that can help you along.
My advice to you is
1: Get a good battery charger that will not only charge your batteries but balance charge them and can put them into storage mode. This charger will allow you to charge four batteries at once and It is just what I need for a hassle free days flying.I will post a link to the charger that I highly recommend. If you cant afford this charger you won't go far wrong with the (T240 DUO) the only thing it will only charge two batteries at a time.
2: The H Plus isn't your old sadate H480 copter it is a speed demon in comparison so until you get the feel of it fly it in LOW SPEED MODE You will thank me for the advice[emoji24].
3: Batteries get the GiFi Hiv batteries every bit as good as the OEM's but a slot eiser on the pocket.
Hope this helps you out.View attachment 22430 Happy flying.
Mike
View attachment 22429

Why did yuneec allow the 480 and plus batteries to be interchangeable but not the charging stations? Was there ever an official reason for this madness?

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Irish
It seems that each new model Yuneec releases has a new battery. The new H3 has a different battery to the Jplus and the H520!

Reactions: Done-guy
well i got my H plus 11 months ago and did 1 update never had any problems go to my youtube page steve and drones this is my first time with the H plus, i sold my H pro , i just use the plus now...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval