Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Q500 4k owner

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to owning / flying a drone. Last week I bought a New Yuneec Q500 k4 kit. I have a LOT to learn. But, I have flown it 5 times and had few problems. I have not, and likely will not turn off the gps. I am happy up to 400' her in Rural North Carolina, USA. I have checked my software and found that ST10+, Q500, and my camera have out of date firmware. I have no idea how to update software on these units. Is there a tutorial somewhere? Are the updates worthwhile if the drone seems to be working great?
Also, how should I erase video or images from my SD cards? Should I reformat? If so, how?
If I am flying for Fun, should I register with the FAA?
thanks for any and all help!
Tony p
Monroe, NC USA

Hi, Tony,
I live in Durham, NC. If everything is working well including a straight horizon line with the camera, I would not update anything. There are many tutorials on YouTube on how to update software. You can delete your images on your card after downloading them to your computer. You can only reformat with your computer, exfat, and with your smart phone. You cannot format card with the controller as far as I know. You do need to register with the FAA. Since you are flying for fun, the FAA number you will be issued can be used on this drone and others. I only fly in angle mode, but that is up to you as you become more experienced. If you fly in beginner mode, just be sure you read the manual to be a safe distance from the Q when you take off. Lots of good videos on YouTube. Good flying.

Hi all,
I am new to owning / flying a drone. Last week I bought a New Yuneec Q500 k4 kit. I have a LOT to learn. But, I have flown it 5 times and had few problems. I have not, and likely will not turn off the gps. I am happy up to 400' her in Rural North Carolina, USA. I have checked my software and found that ST10+, Q500, and my camera have out of date firmware. I have no idea how to update software on these units. Is there a tutorial somewhere? Are the updates worthwhile if the drone seems to be working great?
Also, how should I erase video or images from my SD cards? Should I reformat? If so, how?
If I am flying for Fun, should I register with the FAA?
thanks for any and all help!
Tony p
Monroe, NC USA
I will not address the firmware updates as everyone has their opinion. Personally I would bring everything up to date. Here is a good tutorial vidio link for performing firmware updates
I would remove the files that you do not want by simply deleting them. Just make sure that any files you want to keep have been copied to another location.
As for FAA registration is required to fly your drone legally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval