Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New to drones

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Dennis (48 years old) from Northern New Jersey , USA. I recently bought a used (ebay) yuneec q500 4k. I have had a few "toy drones " in the last 3 years to get my feet wet. Wow, I did not realize how much I needed to know! In years past I worked at a hobby shop building rc cars and trucks, so I'm familiar with a lot. Just wanted to say hello to everyone, and say thanks so far for this weath of info. Fyi, my first flight was an epic fail, lol, it took off started to take off and made a be line straight for me so reacted by trying to grab the landing gear and broke two blades on my wrist!!! Some blood and numbness later I found out that I bent the motor shaft. So via this forum I've replaced the motor and nothing I now think it's the esc witch I'm going to replace tomorrow. I do think I'm going to need some advice after I get it running again. So thank you in advance.

Hello all, I'm Dennis (48 years old) from Northern New Jersey , USA. I recently bought a used (ebay) yuneec q500 4k. I have had a few "toy drones " in the last 3 years to get my feet wet. Wow, I did not realize how much I needed to know! In years past I worked at a hobby shop building rc cars and trucks, so I'm familiar with a lot. Just wanted to say hello to everyone, and say thanks so far for this weath of info. Fyi, my first flight was an epic fail, lol, it took off started to take off and made a be line straight for me so reacted by trying to grab the landing gear and broke two blades on my wrist!!! Some blood and numbness later I found out that I bent the motor shaft. So via this forum I've replaced the motor and nothing I now think it's the esc witch I'm going to replace tomorrow. I do think I'm going to need some advice after I get it running again. So thank you in advance.
Welcome.....and you're pretty lucky. Blades spinning that fast, hitting flesh on the wrist could have been very bad.

You will need to connect the Q to your computer using the special USB cord that came with your Q. Then use the GUI to check the motors and you may have to do a motor assignment.

My initial thought about your first flight: You were probably standing too close. Stay back at least 30' and make sure the area is clear for at least 100' from all people, trees, building, power poles, overhead wires, etc. Wait to launch until the Q shows at least 15 satellites are connected. This is especially important on the first flight of the day.

Yes I was to close (20 ft or less), and yes it could have been more than just a little blood. I did connect to my laptop and it showed red for the new motor. So upon further research I ordered a new esc. I'm going to install it this morning, I will let you know what happens. Thanks

Well I've had my first flight with my q500 and went well just took it easy for about 20 min went to change my battery and realized it was starting to rain. So thanks for all the help, guys. I am looking to maybe join a group and definitely get my 107. Any ideas for Northern New Jersey area, I'm about 3 miles outside of NYC. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: AussieCate

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech