Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Typhoon H Pilot & Forum Member

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Hope all is well and you guys are safe during these times. I'm new to the forum and still learning the TH Pro. I have a few questions and included pictures for some help and advise on how to use my drone safe and optimal for a great experience.

1 - Is the correct model of my TH the Pro version?
2 - Is all my firmware versions up to date?
3 - Am I missing any apps that were included or needed for my drone? Do I need to redownload any? Are there any additional apps that you recommend for my drone?
4 - What is the mainboard hardware in the drone? Pixhawk, PX4 or other type?

I've flown the drone as it is and haven't had any significant issues with it. I do notice that when I try to fly it really slow it tends to bobble a bit. Not sure if there's a way to calm that down or not. My goal is to make sure I have all the software the drone came with, that it's fully updated to current versions, and airworthy in the event of long range mapping. I've been in the RC hobby well over 20 years, still fly RC planes, doing FPV drones and planes, and now want to learn the pro side of the hobby and I found the TH at an affordable entry price. I'm sure I'll have more questions and I continue to learn but look forward to this journey.

Attachments

• Android OS Version.jpg
    Android OS Version.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • App List.jpg
    App List.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Camera Setup.jpg
    Camera Setup.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • Intel Collision System.jpg
    Intel Collision System.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • ST16 Software Versions.jpg
    ST16 Software Versions.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • TH Pro Complete.jpg
    TH Pro Complete.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
The pics confirm that is the H Pro and the firmware is up to date for everything.
You should download the updated user manual that was created by members of this forum.
Go to the Typhoon H "How to" page, select documentation and download the manual.

The pics confirm that is the H Pro and the firmware is up to date for everything.
You should download the updated user manual that was created by members of this forum.
Go to the Typhoon H "How to" page, select documentation and download the manual.
Thanks for the prompt reply Steve, is the correct manual the "Typhoon H User Manual Vcho3-2.pdf"

Wolfy

In regards to seeming jumpy at slow speeds there are a couple of things that can make a difference. The first is making sure the potentiometers on the control gimbals of your ST16 are clean and operating smoothly.

Go into System Settings and select the Hardware Monitor. Observe the reaction of the sticks as you move them slowly and smoothly. Do they follow your movements or do they tend to lag Ir jump around? Now move them faster and watch for slow response to the movement. Do they come back completely to center when released?

If they are laggy, jumpy , or don’t center give the sticks a stir by moving them to their full travel in all directions for 90 seconds. Now check again and see if they are working better. If they are great, if not see the thread on cleaning them in the How To forum for the Typhoon H.

The other thing that can help is use of the Rate slider at the upper right side of the ST16. During takeoff and landing place the Rate slider at the full forward ‘rabbit’ position. This is especially important during landing as it allows proper idling of the motors after touchdown. The reason for using it during takeoff is in case you have to land right away for some reason. Proper idle down is necessary to prevent “hoppy” landings that result in tip overs. Once you are flying you can reduce the Rate slider toward the ‘turtle’ position to aid in making smoother low speed flight.

Thanks for the prompt reply Steve, is the correct manual the "Typhoon H User Manual Vcho3-2.pdf"

Wolfy
It is the one. I keep a copy on my phone so it is handy when out flying. I still refer to it often.

In regards to seeming jumpy at slow speeds there are a couple of things that can make a difference. The first is making sure the potentiometers on the control gimbals of your ST16 are clean and operating smoothly.

Go into System Settings and select the Hardware Monitor. Observe the reaction of the sticks as you move them slowly and smoothly. Do they follow your movements or do they tend to lag Ir jump around? Now move them faster and watch for slow response to the movement. Do they come back completely to center when released?

If they are laggy, jumpy , or don’t center give the sticks a stir by moving them to their full travel in all directions for 90 seconds. Now check again and see if they are working better. If they are great, if not see the thread on cleaning them in the How To forum for the Typhoon H.

The other thing that can help is use of the Rate slider at the upper right side of the ST16. During takeoff and landing place the Rate slider at the full forward ‘rabbit’ position. This is especially important during landing as it allows proper idling of the motors after touchdown. The reason for using it during takeoff is in case you have to land right away for some reason. Proper idle down is necessary to prevent “hoppy” landings that result in tip overs. Once you are flying you can reduce the Rate slider toward the ‘turtle’ position to aid in making smoother low speed flight.
Hi DoomMeister,

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look at this later today and let you know my findings. Didn't think about the Rate slider so I'll keep an eye out on that one as well. Overall, I'm very happy with the drone and look forward to building up with it. Another question I have is what app is available to create missions and monitoring the drone while executing them? Are there any apps that would work or is it only CCC from what I've read? Is there an app say for a notebook that we can use to create the mission then send to the drone? Something like Mission Planner, QGroundControl, DataPilot, UAV Toolbox, etc.

Wolfy

I noticed there's a message of mine that is pending a moderator approval? Is there a typo or error?

Wolfy

I noticed there's a message of mine that is pending a moderator approval? Is there a typo or error?

Wolfy
There may have been. There are automated filters that catch key phrases and other actions. It gets put in a queue for staff approval. We are not on here 24/7, but one of us is usually around to clear such matters.

Reactions: wolfy2671
Yes UAV Toolbox is a good tool especially for the H480 ( Typhoon H and H Pro). The latest update of it allows you to use DataPilot on your PC and then convert the .plan file to a CCC mission using Toolbox. Toolbox also allows you to view your flights in a map and as the lo-rez video on the ST16 synced with the map display.

A word of caution with CCC missions. The waypoints are positions that bezier curves pass through for flying smooth paths for cinematic effect. They allow for smooth cinematography, but they can generate unexpected flight paths The waypoints are absolute, but the path between them is not. Be very mindful of CCC behavior below 8 meters or near obstacles. Be ready to abort a CCC until you have flown it and know what path it will take.

For in-depth FlightLog review we use Q500log2kml by @h-elsner. It can be obtained from his website Private Homepage h-elsner in the downloads section.

Last edited:
Yes UAV Toolbox is a good tool especially for the H480 ( Typhoon H and H Pro). The latest update of it allows you to use DataPilot on your PC and then convert the .plan file to a CCC mission using Toolbox. Toolbox also allows you to view your flights in a map and as the lo-rez video on the ST16 synced with the map display.

A word of caution with CCC missions. The waypoints are positions that bezier curves pass through for flying smooth paths for cinematic effect. They allow for smooth cinematography, but they can generate unexpected flight paths The waypoints are absolute, but the path between them is not. Be very mindful of CCC behavior below 8 meters or near obstacles. Be ready to abort a CCC until you have flown it and know what path it will take.

For in-depth FlightLog review we use Q500log2kml by @h-elsner. It can be obtained from his website Private Homepage h-elsner in the downloads section.
Excellent information DoomMeister, I greatly appreciate it. One last question, I've seen some information on the Yuneec drones being px4 based? If this is the case, has anyone attempted to do a full install of Arducopter? If so, is there any documentation about it?

Wolfy

I believe the H480 is a variant of Pixhawk. Mantis Q and G, H Plus, and H520 are PX4 based. I would suspect the H3 and H520e are PX4 also. All the H series use Zigbee SR24 for RC comms and the Mantis series uses WiFi comms.

I’ll leave the ArduCopter for those more versed in it.

I believe the H480 is a variant of Pixhawk. Mantis Q and G, H Plus, and H520 are PX4 based. I would suspect the H3 and H520e are PX4 also. All the H series use Zigbee SR24 for RC comms and the Mantis series uses WiFi comms.

I’ll leave the ArduCopter for those more versed in it.
Thanks again DoomMeister, I'll open a thread about ArduCopter and see if I have any luck.

Wolfy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal