Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Typhoon H Pro owner questions

Reaction score
Week ago I received Typhoon H Pro version so I am still learning.
Because manual is not saying about some things, I hope someone can answer me on this:

1. Beside microSD card slot on the CGO3+ camera, there is this micro USB slot , on the camera.
What is it for ?

2. Video is splitted into 5 minutes. Can we change that somewhere in the settings

3. RealSense obstacle avoidance...is this working in all modes SMART, ANGLE and HOME ?

4. What battery voltage should be when fully charged ?

5. I read that it is best to land when voltage is 14.7 V. I did that but right after landing , voltage showed 15.1 V. So I am not sure what is true. And I think battery bar was like 3 bars, maybe between 2 and 3 bars when voltage showed about 14.9 V. So if I am guided by the bars it looks like battery is no more than 50% empty. Any advice about that ?

6. What about that battery storage.
- if battery is fully charged and I am not flying in next 5 days, is battery going to be discharged slightly in this 5 days ?
- to what voltage I have to discharge battery for storage and how long it can stay that way ? Do I have to charge it periodicaly if not in use ?

7. In manual it is said that for the fully discharged battery it should take about 2.5 hourse to charge. But what is fully discharged and not overdischarged battery ? I was charching battery which was about 14.8 V and it was charged in about 1 hour.

8. ST16 can be only charged via this USB cable

9. Videos recorder on the microSD card in CGO3+ camera are by default recorded to the ST16 as well or there is a setting that can disable that ?

10. What are these numbers on the upper screen, in a curved line ?

11. I can't find where I could change video recording format. I see it can only record in MP4. Am I missing something ?

Thanks !

1. You can plug the camera into your PC and download directly if you wish

2. I'm not aware of a setting to change this, it's standard for cameras to split video, though Yuneec are unusual for doing it on time rather than file size. The chunks should edit together seamlessly

3. I believe it does, but I don't use it

4. No idea, I just wait for the beep from the charger :)

5. I've heard of people landing at 14.3v but that's probably pushing it. The battery is being drained hard during flight, so the moment you stop the motors, it will 'recover' a bit - that doesn't mean it's safe to fly more than you would though.

6. The battery should hold charge, but most advice seems to be that you should leave it half charged if you plan to store it for any time. LiPo's don't like being left fully charged or completely empty.

7. 14.8V is maybe about half charged so 1 hour seems reasonable.

8. The ST-16 does need a good quality USB cable, some don't work but you can charge with a good cable and decent (1A+) USB socket.

9. The CGO3+ stores the high quality videos, the ST-16 stores only low definition (720p) FPV video that helps you review things without messing about with the SD card. The ST-16 automatically deletes old videos so you shouldn't run out of space.

10. Those are the distance readings from the front facing Sonar (obstacle avoidance) if you have it turned on.

11. Yes, you can only record in MP4, (H.264) which is the standard for pretty much all video these days - what were you expecting?

Expand this Thread , to see highlighted responses!
Week ago I received Typhoon H Pro version so I am still learning.
Because manual is not saying about some things, I hope someone can answer me on this:

1. Beside microSD card slot on the CGO3+ camera, there is this micro USB slot , on the camera.
What is it for ? For updating the camera

2. Video is splitted into 5 minutes. Can we change that somewhere in the settings Not in the settings, perhaps a future upgrade will address this issue, some say they use different formatted sdcards and do not have this issue. I have yet to see any validation to this. Even other manufactures of sUAS's have the same issue

3. RealSense obstacle avoidance...is this working in all modes SMART, ANGLE and HOME ? Do not have, nor care to "dodge bullets" in my commercial usages, so leave this for others to answer.

4. What battery voltage should be when fully charged ? 16.7-16.8 V

5. I read that it is best to land when voltage is 14.7 V. I did that but right after landing , voltage showed 15.1 V. So I am not sure what is true. And I think battery bar was like 3 bars, maybe between 2 and 3 bars when voltage showed about 14.9 V. So if I am guided by the bars it looks like battery is no more than 50% empty. Any advice about that ?There is no best! some hang to the 14.5, others 14.7. It is a know fact that the lipo that is not under demand(flying) the voltage will jump back up .5 to 1 volt on hoover or landing. I even experience if I am out a 1/2 mile it will read say 15.1 v and when I fly back and get close to Homepoint, it will spike back up to say 15.4 v. Some say the "bars" are not accurate. I have tested the voltage with a VOM at two bars, and it is pretty spot on to being at just a hair under 50%. Personally, I head for home and begin landing at first battery warning vibration.

6. What about that battery storage.
- if battery is fully charged and I am not flying in next 5 days, is battery going to be discharged slightly in this 5 days ?
- to what voltage I have to discharge battery for storage and how long it can stay that way ? Do I have to charge it periodicaly if not in use ?I personally have never had a issue leaving lipo's fully charged for even up to 10 days, 5 days is not a issue. No, the H lipo's are not "smart" batteries and will not self discharge, after 5 days mine still read 16.7-16,8 v. if you plan to go more than a week, I would either fly it down to 14.9-15 v's for storage, or buy a good after market charger to discharge the to 50% is even better!.

7. In manual it is said that for the fully discharged battery it should take about 2.5 hourse to charge. But what is fully discharged and not overdischarged battery ? I was charching battery which was about 14.8 V and it was charged in about 1 hour. You never want to fully discharge(drain) a lipo, if you are landing at the first warning which is approximately 14.3 to 14.5 v's, on a stock charger you can look for 1.5 hrs approximately. Anything below 14.v to me on the H's lipos is to low to take the batteries.

8. ST16 can be only charged via this USB cable There are adapter for after market charger out/or soon to be that will allow faster charging from a aftermarket rapid charger

9. Videos recorder on the microSD card in CGO3+ camera are by default recorded to the ST16 as well or there is a setting that can disable that ?The sd card itself does not record to the ST16, the CGO3+ does, as of yet there is no way to disable that feature, but it will start deleting the oldest ones after it has reached it's predetermined allowance and has no adverse effect to the memory or functionality of the ST16

10. What are these numbers on the upper screen, in a curved line ? Distance range of the craft sensed by OA or RS

11. I can't find where I could change video recording format. I see it can only record in MP4. Am I missing something ?It is in the camera settings, I am tired of typing to explain, but "seek and ye shall find" LOL !

Thanks !

Last edited:
3. Yes, if you switch it on. Max speed slows to 10-11 mph, and in Angle mode the OA does not "see" objects not directly to the face of the craft, which makes relying on OA to avoid a crash in Angle mode not a good idea.

Reactions: Lee_malaysian
Thank you all guys. Just couple remarks.

About this USB I thought so, but plugged USB cable is pretty hard and will keep camera from doing the dance camera need to do after H is powerd up. So hence my concern.

For about battery, Ok I get all of this. I am not familiar with this things about batteries but it seems that actually we are suppose to fly only to half battery capacity. This is sad. I haven't tried full flight yet, but I don't think it will be longer than like 10-12 minutes. Such batteries should be really cheaper , not more than 50 EUR.

And finally, there is no different video format to choose from. I looked again and haven't find it......but never mind. I hope MP4 will give the best video nevertheless.

And finally, there is no different video format to choose from. I looked again and haven't find it......but never mind. I hope MP4 will give the best video nevertheless.

MP4 isn't the quality of the video, it's just the file format.

You can change the quality settings from the main screen. Choose either Natural, Gorgeous or Raw to set the colour profile and amount of sharpening.

Reactions: Rayray
2. Video is splitted into 5 minutes. Can we change that somewhere in the settings

This is a limitation of the SD Card format (CF cards too, for that matter). The largest file size that can be stored on the card is 4gb. If you shoot a video that is 13gb, it will be saved into 4 files. Your video editing software will treat it as one file.

More information can be found here.
About SD Association - SD Association

I was testing camera settings today and while doing that I tested duration of the flight possible with fully charged battery. When I switched all devices ON, battery showed 16.6 V. I don't know if this will be better (16.7-8V like DroneClone stated) with more discharge/charge.
Anyway, flight was very slow and borring, most of the flight was just hovering as I tested camera settings. this time I waited 14.3V warning while flying 1m off the ground and landed immediatelly after ST16 send me warning. Flight duration was 16 minutes. So I was wondering what is your practice for the flight duration related to the voltage. If I landed at 14.8V I belive flight would be only about 12-13 minutes long which is really short.
Far, far away from 25 minutes they advertise.

I was testing camera settings today and while doing that I tested duration of the flight possible with fully charged battery. When I switched all devices ON, battery showed 16.6 V. I don't know if this will be better (16.7-8V like DroneClone stated) with more discharge/charge.
Anyway, flight was very slow and borring, most of the flight was just hovering as I tested camera settings. this time I waited 14.3V warning while flying 1m off the ground and landed immediatelly after ST16 send me warning. Flight duration was 16 minutes. So I was wondering what is your practice for the flight duration related to the voltage. If I landed at 14.8V I belive flight would be only about 12-13 minutes long which is really short.
There is no set rule of thumb, how quickly the batteries diminish is dependent on many environmental factors, wind, humidity, temperature and the type of flying and maneuvers you are making , all effect the time you can fly before such and such a voltage.
Charging fully some will get the full 16.8 v and others 16.6-16.7 v, that is not critical at all. My average flights are 14 minutes flying fairly aggressively and I always land no lower than 14.5V and even sometimes at first warning, which is not a issue what so ever ! ;)

I fly to 14.6v which is usually around 12 - 13mins, I find this quite long enough for concentrated flying. I plan my moves to economically use one battery to get a batch of shots in an area of my location.

Best advise I can offer is PLAN your flights.
You do not want to be 1/2 mile (500-600 meters) or more away and wait for the low battery warning to try and fly back to land. My new favorite spot is a river between me and Canada. I am NEVER out over the water more than about 5 minutes. I am just not wanting to turn my H into a submarine.
The more you fly you will learn how the battery behaves and what is best for you. For me personally when the voltage reaches 14.3, I am on the ground. I got caught one time and landed at 14.1 because I was not paying attention and was too far out when I started to head home. You may get the low battery warning, and the see it go away if you release the sticks and just let the H hover. But it will quickly return. I can get 16 minutes of flight time as long as I am not doing FAST flying or a lot of aggressive maneuvers. Turn the GPS off and fast fly, your battery will drop like a stone.
Keep a note book handy and log your flights, weather, time of day, type of flying. Keep the H in close to you at first till you learn the voltage level verses how much more can I do. Generally for me, 14.9 to 14.8 volts I am on the way home. Have a few alternate landing sites in case you can not make it all the way back.
Everyone will offer different opinions, some will even fly their batteries to a lower level, I just don't care to risk it.

Best advise I can offer is PLAN your flights.
You do not want to be 1/2 mile (500-600 meters) or more away and wait for the low battery warning to try and fly back to land. My new favorite spot is a river between me and Canada. I am NEVER out over the water more than about 5 minutes. I am just not wanting to turn my H into a submarine.
The more you fly you will learn how the battery behaves and what is best for you. For me personally when the voltage reaches 14.3, I am on the ground. I got caught one time and landed at 14.1 because I was not paying attention and was too far out when I started to head home. You may get the low battery warning, and the see it go away if you release the sticks and just let the H hover. But it will quickly return. I can get 16 minutes of flight time as long as I am not doing FAST flying or a lot of aggressive maneuvers. Turn the GPS off and fast fly, your battery will drop like a stone.
Keep a note book handy and log your flights, weather, time of day, type of flying. Keep the H in close to you at first till you learn the voltage level verses how much more can I do. Generally for me, 14.9 to 14.8 volts I am on the way home. Have a few alternate landing sites in case you can not make it all the way back.
Everyone will offer different opinions, some will even fly their batteries to a lower level, I just don't care to risk it.
Bob, Wrap it in a zip lock bag and it won't get wet ! LOL ! ;)

LMAO DC.........
I was trying to figure out how to put ballast tanks on it.
Just put 4 empty 16 oz soda plastic bottles over each foam foot pads, they fit snug and tight and float like a pontoon boat, forward and reverse and left/right stick inputs will actually steer and drive it like a boat! I've seen it! :confused:

Got my Pro a couple of days ago and also have a few questions

1) Can you flip to wizard control once your in the air. or do you have to put in team mode first then take of with the wizard.
2) How do you actually know the real sense is working ? tried watch me mode today and it feels a little scarry the H was dancing all over the place and was thinking it was going to hit the trees so chickened out.
3) The battery warning doesn't seem to give you much warning to get the copter back and land ( this is one area that yuneec are a lot worse than DJI)
4) Got a couple of WIFI disconnects hopefully a blip.
5) tilt control is weird finding it difficult to stop where i would like to. Very sensitive, I just end up panning up then down then up , you get the idea.

1) Team mode before lift off!
2).A icon will display on the top pf ST16
3).Amen! but you get use to landing at 14.5 v or first vibration warning
4).Happens, buy a DBS Range extender, Or do the Mod
5).Yes, use Turtle Mode for slower settings

"Happens, buy a DBS Range extender, Or do the Mod" Thought that was sorted on the pro model obviously not

To answer keiths.
2. When RealSense is on, white lights on the aircraft are flashing. I tried in Angle mode so far and is working fine.

All,

Just completed 2 flights, new flier.

If I have some initial thoughts and a few questions, would you guys want me to post them here or start my own thread?

Thanks!
Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval