Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Newbie questions, sorry!

Reaction score
Hey folks, I am looking for my next drone and have a few things I need as minimum criteria to reach for consideration of the next purchase. I am wondering if this is possible with the Yuneec offerings at all, as there are bits I can't find information on and certain models that looked like they might fit the bill are now obsolete on Yuneec's sites and are rare to find available for sale these days!

This is not for professional usage, just my hobbyist use, but I am wanting a step up in image quality and use as compared to my current drones which capture 8 bit video and have fixed apertures. I also need better stability to cope with squally wind conditions, which the H series and above seem to cope exceptionally well with.

Here's my needs:
  • 1" sensor as a minimum size
  • 10 bit video
  • LOG format video
  • Variable aperture
  • Easy ND filter application
  • Sub 2 Kg total weight
Is this possible with the Yuneec range? I was thinking the 920+ as an option with the reworked Panasonic GH4 camera and its interchangeable lens options, but am unsure if it's still able to be supported or even purchased these days as it appears to be obsolete on all the Yuneec sites!

One last query, if I can? I saw mention of the ability to mount a Sony a7 camera on the 920, is this correct? I have an a7III and was wondering if it might be possible to mount that? Would you have control of the camera remotely? I'd need aperture control, start/stop record and focus as a minimum control.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Cheers,
Alex

The H920 specs can be found here H920 Specs
and at almost 5kg takeoff weight is out of your weight class.

Being from Oz I would suggest contacting @Haydn who is an authorized Yuneec distributor for Australia.

Reactions: Alex of Oz
The H920 specs can be found here H920 Specs
and at almost 5kg takeoff weight is out of your weight class.

Being from Oz I would suggest contacting @Haydn who is an authorized Yuneec distributor for Australia.
Thanks @DoomMeister for the response, looks like I'm out of luck, unless I can throw the extra AU $3500 to a license! As it's not a professional interest for me it's really out of reach, unfortunately. Thanks again though.

Thanks @DoomMeister for the response, looks like I'm out of luck, unless I can throw the extra AU $3500 to a license! As it's not a professional interest for me it's really out of reach, unfortunately. Thanks again though.

The 920 is an absolute beast, you need 2 people just to perform a compass calibration on it. I see no needs a hobbyist would have for that bird, but to each their own.

Good luck in your search, and it’s a shame yuneec is no longer (appears as though) trying to take on DJI in the hobbyist market.

• Sad
The 920 is an absolute beast, you need 2 people just to perform a compass calibration on it. I see no needs a hobbyist would have for that bird, but to each their own.

Good luck in your search, and it’s a shame yuneec is no longer (appears as though) trying to take on DJI in the hobbyist market.
Yeah, I totally get that it's not really considered a hobbyists bird!

It's the needed features that I have which pushed it into my consideration. It looks like if I wanna stay clear of the DJI machines, Autel Evo 2 Pro is my best bet. I had hoped there would have been some configuration of camera with machine in the Yuneec line that would have given me 10 bit recording in conjunction with a controllable aperture, whilst staying under the 2 Kg limit. :(

It is a shame that Yuneec never put variable aperture into their cameras. The Typhoon H Plus does meet most of your points and is a very stable flier in windy conditions. You might be able to give one a test flight if you contact @Haydn. Their latest in that line is the H3 with the Leica camera.

Last edited:
It is a shame that Yuneec never put variable aperture into their cameras. The Typhoon H Plus does meet most of your points and is a very stable flier in windy conditions. You might be able to give one a test flight if you contact @Haydn. Their latest in that line is the H3 with the Leica camera.
The H3 is the one that seems to come closest for me in the Yuneec range. Maybe I just need to use a variable ND with it, if there is such a beast available for the H3 yet? I couldn't find any ND's for it from a very quick search I performed this morning. I'll drop @Haydn a DM to see what they recommend.

Thanks again @DoomMeister for your assistance.

Yeah, I totally get that it's not really considered a hobbyists bird!

It's the needed features that I have which pushed it into my consideration. It looks like if I wanna stay clear of the DJI machines, Autel Evo 2 Pro is my best bet. I had hoped there would have been some configuration of camera with machine in the Yuneec line that would have given me 10 bit recording in conjunction with a controllable aperture, whilst staying under the 2 Kg limit. :(
maybe the evolve 2 when it comes out? that 2 kilo thing is probably gonna be deal breaker....Maybe an H3? still gonna be too heavy. Everything else would be very compatible to your specs especially if youre not gonna be doing it for commercial purposes

The specs of the H3 with camera and battery are still just under the 2kg limit. Be sure to check the tech specs of the systems on the Yuneec website. The same goes for the H Plus.

maybe the evolve 2 when it comes out? that 2 kilo thing is probably gonna be deal breaker....Maybe an H3? still gonna be too heavy. Everything else would be very compatible to your specs especially if youre not gonna be doing it for commercial purposes

The specs of the H3 with camera and battery are still just under the 2kg limit. Be sure to check the tech specs of the systems on the Yuneec website. The same goes for the H Plus.

I had forgotten about the Evolve 2, it looks interesting too, but the feet not lifting could be an issue with sightlines if the gimbal swings around that far?

I did speak with Haydn last night and the H3 seems like the best bet from the Yuneec lineup for my needs. I'm investigating ND's for it though, I can't find any so far, but as Haydn suggested I could possibly find something thin and get a glazier to cut them to size for fitting in that slot. The lack of aperture could be worked around with utilising the exposure compensation of the H3, as I primarily wanted it to control exposure well. Thin depth of field ain't gonna happen when you're so far away from things as when flying a drone.

I had forgotten about the Evolve 2, it looks interesting too, but the feet not lifting could be an issue with sightlines if the gimbal swings around that far?

I did speak with Haydn last night and the H3 seems like the best bet from the Yuneec lineup for my needs. I'm investigating ND's for it though, I can't find any so far, but as Haydn suggested I could possibly find something thin and get a glazier to cut them to size for fitting in that slot. The lack of aperture could be worked around with utilising the exposure compensation of the H3, as I primarily wanted it to control exposure well. Thin depth of field ain't gonna happen when you're so far away from things as when flying a drone.
I haven’t looked too much at the Ion camera, but it looks like it will accept the square or rectangular shaped filters. This could work to the advantage of using graded ND filters to get good exposure for both sky and surface. Unlike screw on filters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval