Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

No fly feature discovered

Reaction score
While on vacation, I decided to take my Mantis over the coast to take some awesome footage "beach" side of Caribbean in Puerto Rico. Unfolded the quad and when I was ready to turn motors for flight, this message popped up. Note: I was near the airport and I'm very familiar with FAA rules/ regulations....I just wanted to see if there was any difference before or during flight that restrict the use of it, and I discovered it did. 20181228_084735.jpeg

Yup,
Yuneec has that in all their models to help keep us from doing dumb things.
Better safe than sorry.
Got it! Totally agree! From beginners to expertise pilots this is a must have to keep us safe....!

Got it! Totally agree! From beginners to expertise pilots this is a must have to keep us safe....!

Or... more to the point, to help keep others safe from us, and thus maximizing the good standing of our “hobby/profession”.

Just remember, not all locations are “mapped” so we should not rely solely on those NFZ messages.

Happy holidays, and happy flying!

Jeff

Reactions: MR15
Or... more to the point, to help keep others safe from us, and thus maximizing the good standing of our “hobby/profession”.

Just remember, not all locations are “mapped” so we should not rely solely on those NFZ messages.

Happy holidays, and happy flying!

Jeff
Well said! Safety and cautious at the time of flying....thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

While on vacation, I decided to take my Mantis over the coast to take some awesome footage "beach" side of Caribbean in Puerto Rico. Unfolded the quad and when I was ready to turn motors for flight, this message popped up. Note: I was near the airport and I'm very familiar with FAA rules/ regulations....I just wanted to see if there was any difference before or during flight that restrict the use of it, and I discovered it did. View attachment 13334

How close to the AP were you ? when you received the message. (Miles, feet, yards). DJI has since re-vamped the way it calculates NFZ and or Restricted areas, which allows for a more defined NFZ or Restricted area circumference. Wonder if Yuneec is going or has gone the same route, or still uses a broad range type of NFZ or Restricted area formula to calculate where the pilot can or can't fly.

Reactions: Mikehim
The real issue is that there is no such thing as a NFZ around airports. Hobby flights currently it simply requires notification, so arbitrarily locking people out without recognizing that is an issue for me. For commercial flying certain authorizations are required, which may, or may not, be granted. It is why I left DJI. They are VERY aggressive about this.

Now there are other true NFZ like within a TFR, over sensitive infrastructure, etc. Seems like companies are getting more aggressive about this to protect us against our lesser angels!

Is there a way to have the NFZ lockout removed. What happens if a Part 107 pilot has an airspace waiver?

Is there a way to have the NFZ lockout removed. What happens if a Part 107 pilot has an airspace waiver?

You can contact Yuneec and they can unlock it for you. But keep in mind, there are very few NFZ built into Yuneec products. Mainly just high traffic airports in Class B and C airspace.

Hi everyone. I’m new here. What I wanted to say about this is ... you can buy a cheap $50.. $100 drone that lets you fly I don’t know something like 32 maybe more feet. I bought the Mantis q and to my surprise I have a no fly zone. For what I paid for and all the different feature is has, why didn’t they at least add a feature to fly the thing to at least 32 feet around my house. The airport is Aprox 8.1 miles from me. I have a good amount of property and can’t fly the thing. I’m looking at getting a pilot lisence to fly these.. it’s just a small hobby but the requirements are getting bigger and bigger.

Which airport is this?
Most ATC airports have a NFZ 5 mile radius.

FWIW, the Yuneec NFZ list only includes larger airports. For example, in all of California their list only has a total of 12 airports on it.

Meanwhile, there are over 50 LAANC participating airport in California.

Yes sir. You would be surprised how low they make the turn above my house. They make the turn, pass highway i-5 .. and land. I’ve seen a white DJI drone above my house.. it flew by .. and I was jealous :)

Hi everyone. I’m new here. What I wanted to say about this is ... you can buy a cheap $50.. $100 drone that lets you fly I don’t know something like 32 maybe more feet. I bought the Mantis q and to my surprise I have a no fly zone. For what I paid for and all the different feature is has, why didn’t they at least add a feature to fly the thing to at least 32 feet around my house. The airport is Aprox 8.1 miles from me. I have a good amount of property and can’t fly the thing. I’m looking at getting a pilot lisence to fly these.. it’s just a small hobby but the requirements are getting bigger and bigger.

As mentioned above the NFZ's in the Yuneec products only include class B and C airspace so; if your NFZ is activated you're likely within 5 miles of an airport. What is your location?

Yeah, I meant specifically ?, you mentioned above that you are over eight miles away from any airport but then you said that the planes are very low over your house. ("They make the turn, pass highway i-5 .. and land") - I5 is just 3/4 of a mile from the end of the runway when making a South bound approach to Runway 16 at McChord so; unless you are well south of the airport and are talking about the downwind leg of a northbound approach to 34 you may be well inside the perimeter of the NFZ.

Not trying to be a downer, just want everyone to fly safe. ;)

Reactions: riker17 and AH-1G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval