Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

[UPDATE v0.930] PLAN to RPS converter for H480 (survey missions)

Looking forward to the release of your converter. It appears you have done a very good job with this. I should be freed up a bit in a week or so and would be able to do some flight testing.

Reactions: howfastyes
Howfastyes,
I am looking forward to the test for any of my H's here in Australia. Different environment and climate. You are very talented. Johnno Hennessy. This will be worth it .

I really like the conversor, from the screenshots its seem to be very intuitive and easy to use, well done, and looking forwad to try it he re in Spain.

Thanks guys, i'm still working on few things but i'll release beta version soon. Need few more flights (that's hard with 1 poor battery that gives me 11 minutes of flight time).

Survey mode went through major changes:
-no more camera options (easy to change in Waypoint App if you want to, defaults are set for mapping - pan follow airline and tilt is under manual control)
-battery capacity/flight time can be set for more precise voltage calculations
-mission splitter is working, can split any mission up to 4 separate missions (tested but need more testing, wasn't easy as i initialy thought)
-max speed is 18kph (11.2mph), limited by FC firmware and can't be changed (that's why mission splitter is important tool)
-adjusted distance and time calculations

After a week of rainy weather, finally i went to make second real life survey mission.
I'm happy with results, calculations are good enough, aircraft behaviour is great, accuracy is great, feeling more confidence now when flying - just chillin' with ST16 waiting for job to be done. Very satisfying work.

Survey mission target: orthomosaic map of small lake
Area to be scanned: 22.5 acres
Conditions: wind: up to 20km/h, temp: 20*C, sunny
Pictures taken: 600+ (around 4GB)
Pictures used: 181 (1 of 3 / 970MB)

DataPilot mission planner (PC version)
survey_datapilot_ss.jpg

PLAN2 converter
PLAN2_survey_ss.jpg

Calculated mission time: 11 minutes 5 second
Real mission time: 11 minutes 40 seconds

Calculated distance: 3210 meters
Real traveled distance: 3127 meters

Calculated voltage left: 14.35V
Voltage left: 14.40V

Waypoint App
Screenshot_2020-06-01-13-11-54.png

Telemetry data overlayed on Google Earth with KML generated by PLAN2
kml_tele_wpt.jpg

QGIS
Georeferenced orthomosaic with KML overlayed (final ground resolution = 3.8cm/px)

ortho_result_kml_overlay_georeferenced_ppk.jpg

I'm happy with the results, can't upload full resolution orthomosaic due to private properties and state facility proximity. (also 500MB size...)

Legal information: flight made by licensed pilot, according to VLOS rules in CTR area, using aircraft approved by CAA. Mission was reported to local airport using PansaUTM system with DroneRadar app and automatically approved.

More fun stuff soon.
Stay safe pilots.

Last edited:
Version 0.930 release (Windows only) No install.

-Major bugs fixed.(0.901b)
-Poi mode camera tilt fix.(0.905)
-Poi mode camera tilt fixed to MANUAL (0.909)
-Survey mode camera tilt fixed to MANUAL (0.920)
-Mission split changes (0.920)
-Height calculated from ground res. by DataPilot bug FIXED (thanks VBDrone) (0.930)

If you downloaded version 0.9a please DELETE and download latest version 0.930

Use with caution.

Do not edit *.rps or *.plan files with text editor on your own before/after conversion.

For single battery survey mission set your battery flight time (from full to first warning), default is 15 minutes which i think is good avarage.

When using mission split feature, be aware of that you will be asked to save multiple files (converter will add "PART2", "PART3" etc. to filename).

POI mode is not well tested, use with caution, however files generated by converter are always correct but camera settings are not tested well.
Do not create more than 16 waypoints if you use Hover feature or if you need more than 16 waypoint and hover, you have to use Planned Home as First waypoint, otherwise mission won't start. (working on this issue)

Hover issue edit: we have to use Planned Home as First Waypoint, there is no way around this issue, reason is still unknown, mission won't start if you don't use planned home as 1st waypoint. Maybe i'm missing something, will dig more...

My advice is to always use Planned Home as First and Last Waypoint in POI mode and also in Survey mode.
Also remember, before starting mission to bring the aircraft to safe altitude (close to mission defined altitude).

In POI mode, camera tilt angle is not calculated at all (working on it)

Waypoint App can't control CGO3+ camera tilt so for now tilt is set to custom and it's calculated by converter, need to be tested in air, i will do it tomorrow but if this method fails the last and only option is to set camera tilt manually before mission start (kind of inconvenient but it will work).

Always export KML file and review it in Google Earth 3D.

Do not use version 0.9a, it's dangerous for certain coordinates, your aircraft may want to fly around the globe.

Report bugs and ask questions in this topic.

Attachments

• PLANtoRPS.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Good Work done here!!, I have a bug with the export part, i m trying to export but when the program says the file is exported nothing is exported. I have checked twice, even create a separated folder to check it but it doesnt export, for all of the app is working like a charm

Thanks for your work

App is sandboxed so maybe your antivirus is blocking it from writing a files?
What Windows version do you use? It's pretty weird...

Check appdata folder on your system drive, maybe something is there: C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\PLANtoRPS

Yes, they are in the local carpet, the program have duplicate the separated folder and place there the files, thanks for the fast reply and I use windows 10,

Probably you loaded *.plan file from app directory and tried to save *.rps and *.kml files also in app directory. This is forbidden.
For *.plan, *.rps and *.kml files create working directory outside PLANtoRPS directory.
Otherwise files will be created in %localappdata%/PLANtoRPS/ folder.

Edit:
POI camera tilt issue:
Just finished another test flight in POI mode, calculated Tilt Angle is not working for CGO3+ (app version 0.905).
I have to remove POI height feature because it's usless for us.

Camera Tilt Angle will be set to MANUAL, this is the only way around for CGO3+.
Good thing is that we have manual control over camera tilt during whole mission when set to manual.
Soon new version will be uploaded (0.909).

Execute error and Hover feature:
When Hover at waypoints is set and there is no Planned Home as fisrt waypoint set - mission will load but won't start - after around 10 second of waiting in air, you will get "Execute error" warning and Waypoint app will disconnect/reconnect with the aircraft.

Reason is simple, first waypoint can't handle Hover feature well, you have to use Planned Home as first waypoint (it has no hover set).

Overall, when starting a POI mission with Hover at waypoints set, you will wait a bit longer for mission to start, about 10 seconds of loading, then mission will start.

If you have slow SD card and you shoot JPG+DNG my advice is to use 3 to 4 seconds hover.

Edit (6.06.2020): POI mode with hover EXECUTE ERROR issue - still exist with version 0.909, today i've tried again and it's weird. First try gave me Execute Error, so i've loaded same mission again without any changes and second try was sucessfull. Then i've loaded it again and got Execute Error again and again, couldn't start this mission again until ST16 reboot.

This issue needs to be figured out, hover is important and i'm testing with "only" 36 waypoints (every 10 degree) which is minimum what we need for 3D scans.
Weather is good so i'll be able to do 1 or 2 more tests today. Fingers crossed, i have to fix this.

Edit 2: POI Hover issue (Execute Error): With version 0.920 we can start poi mission with hover at waypoints but only once. After this, if you want to start another poi mission (with hover) you have to land and reboot ST16. Still do not know why but looks like it's Waypoint App bug, because same issue exists when poi hover mission is programmed in Waypoint app manually.

Survey mode is working flawless for me, with version 0.920 we have fixed camera pan (follow airline) and manual tilt is working during mission.
Can't find any issues for now.
I've found cool feature in Waypoint App which allows you to resume mission from any waypoint. To start from any waypoint, with selected waypoint tap Mission start icon and app will ask you, do you want to start mission from choosen waypoint or first waypoint.

Minor changes in mission split feature for version 0.920
First post updated tutorials.

Edit (8th June): Two ST16 can work together during mission. Check first post Waypoint App Tutorial (Hint 1).

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tried today and works flawless, i did twice, one with timelapse and the video one, all of them without problems, its a really good work.

Will this app be for download straight onto the ST16 controller? To operate within the ST16 controller?

So all I have to do to my ST16 controller is bind it to H480 as an H920 and use unlocked waypoint feature? Is this all? No extra apps or programs really needed?

To unlock waypoint mode, you have to bind your H480 aircraft as H920, yes that's all (check first post).

My converter is for Windows only now, maybe in the future i'll release android version or at least html version to use with ST16 browser.

To unlock waypoint mode, you have to bind your H480 aircraft as H920, yes that's all (check first post).

My converter is for Windows only now, maybe in the future i'll release android version or at least html version to use with ST16 browser.
Thank you

Thank you. Wow, I am impressed. My Typhoon H pro is now a Typhoon H plus with these waypoint features.

Just be careful when flying in waypoint mode, read Yuneec Manual for Waypoint App H920 and practice how and when to use S4 switch.
Check first post for tutorials and workflow if you are interested in survey missions.

Remember this mode can't control CGO3+ camera(or it is very limited) and converter is made for MAPPING/SURVEY missions, not cinematic shots etc.

After spending 120 minutes in air with H480 in Waypoint mode i can tell you this is the cheapest platform for mapping, it's not user friendly, it's not easy, but for 400$ you can't buy anything close to H480 with CGO3+.

This month i'm doing a <100 acres mission, got half of it for now and for next parts of this mission i'll be using two ST16's and maybe i'll make a short video from the field.

Stay safe Pilots.

Just be careful when flying in waypoint mode, read Yuneec Manual for Waypoint App H920 and practice how and when to use S4 switch.
Check first post for tutorials and workflow if you are interested in survey missions.

Remember this mode can't control CGO3+ camera(or it is very limited) and converter is made for MAPPING/SURVEY missions, not cinematic shots etc.

After spending 120 minutes in air with H480 in Waypoint mode i can tell you this is the cheapest platform for mapping, it's not user friendly, it's not easy, but for 400$ you can't buy anything close to H480 with CGO3+.

This month i'm doing a <100 acres mission, got half of it for now and for next parts of this mission i'll be using two ST16's and maybe i'll make a short video from the field.

Stay safe Pilots.
I understand, Thank you. As long as I can do Mapping/Surveying missions with the camera looking, at least, at what I am surveying, I am happy with it. Will give it many missions to get used to this set up. I don't need the picture quality of the C23 camera for Mapping and Surveying, the CGO3+ 4K quality is good enough. Now I don't have to purchase the Typhoon H Plus just for mapping/surveying, with this hack, I am able to get what I need out of my Typhoon H480. Thanks Again. God Bless.

I understand, Thank you. As long as I can do Mapping/Surveying missions with the camera looking, at least, at what I am surveying, I am happy with it. Will give it many missions to get used to this set up. I don't need the picture quality of the C23 camera for Mapping and Surveying, the CGO3+ 4K quality is good enough. Now I don't have to purchase the Typhoon H Plus just for mapping/surveying, with this hack, I am able to get what I need out of my Typhoon H480. Thanks Again. God Bless.
Just so you know, the Typhoon H Plus does not have mapping and surveying built into its software. You have to have the H520 to do that, using the DataPilot app that is used to plan these missions. The H Plus does not have the ability to switch to the H920 model that @howfastyes has made the converter for.

Just so you know, the Typhoon H Plus does not have mapping and surveying built into its software. You have to have the H520 to do that, using the DataPilot app that is used to plan these missions. The H Plus does not have the ability to switch to the H920 model that @howfastyes has made the converter for.
I have the Typhoon H480

I have the Typhoon H480
So do I and it is the one that will allow you to select the H920 model.

It was that you mentioned not having to buy a TH Plus to do mapping and surveying, and I was letting you know that it does not have that capability using Yuneec software. Only the H520 does.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval