Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Preflight failure message with new H520E

Reaction score
I just purchased an H520 E and was about to conduct a maiden flight and got this error message also. I know how the H520 is so temperamental and have had 2 mishaps with it. I abandoned the flight and packed it back up. Can anyone tell me what this means and how to ensure i have enough GPS to fly in angle mode. I am flying near a cell tower would that cause this issue with controls? The weather was cold and cloudy today.

Reactions: Rayray
gps count should be no lower than 13 but you want to have it around 17 to 21 count. go to the gps logo on the st16e controller where it will list the count. also you need to wait until the rear lights stop flashing and go solid purple for angle mode. how close are you to the cell tower it may interfere with operations.

Ben...
Regarding the original 520, I believe the majority of owners find it reliable and rock-solid in performance. A USA team in Nevada helped in the development and testing.

All 520Es have this initial (and misleading) warning message. Simply wait, it may take 4-5 minutes for enough GPS acquisition, and the message will go away. As Terrance said, tap the craft icon and you can watch the GPS count. Personally I take off when that count reaches 14. My location rarely gives a higher GPS Sat count than 16-17, no matter how long I wait or what brand of drone I fly.

Ben, I often fly the 520E right beside cell towers (carefully!) without harm. Finally, I suggest you fly more often, study the manuals and this forum, and with practice I believe you'll find fun and satisfaction. Happy holidays and Good luck to you!

It's not unusual that a new drone coming fresh from China or from another stock far away from you location needs some time to get GPS lock. The same happens if the drone was switches off for a long time. The reason is that the GPS chip needs some information about the satellites regarding timing, location, correction values. This is called "GPS almanach". It will be sent every 12½ minutes. This means you have to wait over 12min in the worst case. The good news is that the next GPS lock will come faster once the almanach was downloaded.

The number of sats in use alone is not an indication about GPS accuracy resp. GPS lock. There is a lot more happen in this small UBLOX chip on the GPS module. It's a great piece of hardware...

If you want to know more about this ask the Coast Guard :):

br HE

Ben...
Regarding the original 520, I believe the majority of owners find it reliable and rock-solid in performance. A USA team in Nevada helped in the development and testing.

All 520Es have this initial (and misleading) warning message. Simply wait, it may take 4-5 minutes for enough GPS acquisition, and the message will go away. As Terrance said, tap the craft icon and you can watch the GPS count. Personally I take off when that count reaches 14. My location rarely gives a higher GPS Sat count than 16-17, no matter how long I wait or what brand of drone I fly.

Ben, I often fly the 520E right beside cell towers (carefully!) without harm. Finally, I suggest you fly more often, study the manuals and this forum, and with practice I believe you'll find fun and satisfaction. Happy holidays and Good luck to you!
When you say tap the craft icon are you talking about the ST16S tablet where the GPS is located ? Are you speaking of another like the Y icon on the top left. The reason i have not flown it is in climate weather and not enough places to fly (takeoff from) I want to make sure i have enough clearance for a maiden flight for takeoff.
thanks for your help. I fly for emergency response organizations as a volunteer. I was also at UTAC this year where i had my H520.

okay to make things easier location of where you need to look under for gps is to the right of where it will say rtl angle or manual which is smack top middle of the screen first icon to the right speaker like object the after it to the right side is the remote control info icon right side to it is st16e battery info icon right side to that is the gps icon which is what you want for gps information coming from the h520e drone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots