Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 4K short range?

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I just received my q500 4k(i have the breeze too), while flying in the park, the drone was at 500ft from me only when in the controller I saw the red line in the top of the screen saying something about wifi unable to connect or something like that, the video stuck. I was able to bring my drone back but I not going to lie... This was very scary!!! I had sight of the drone, but I noticed even turning in the remote the drone had a delay and turned to the side really fast like if the command got stuck and got free again turning really fast. The signal loss happened twice. I know the range should be around 1 mile, after that I don't trust anymore this range. Before anyone ask, no builds nothing able to block the signal. Anyone had this type of problem? I also was holding the remote like shows in the sticker with the top surface of the remote aiming to the drone.

Thanks

Your video wifi signal has many variables that determine distance. Just because there are no visual obstructions there can still be electronic interference that might limit your wifi reception.
Even if you lose video wifi you will still have control of your Q for about a mile. The Q will be far from view by that time.
The best Wifi video distance I got without mods was about 700'. With mods I get out about a mile.
Note too that even though you lose video display in the box, the camera is still recording as normal.
Good luck and happy flying,
Jafo

Last edited:
Your video wifi signal has many variables that determine distance. Just because there are no visual obstructions there can still be electronic interference that might limit your wifi reception.
Even if you lose video wifi you will still have control of your Q for about a mile. The Q will be far from view by that time.
The best Wifi video distance I got without mods was about 700'. With mods I get out about a mile.
Note too that even though you lose video display in the box, the camera is still recording as normal.
Jafo

Thanks for the reply!

My Q500 is acting strange also . When it was new it could stream live feed to about 1400’ . Now for some reason video freezes as soon as I go past 200’ .

My Q500 is acting strange also . When it was new it could stream live feed to about 1400’ . Now for some reason video freezes as soon as I go past 200’ .

For how long do you have the q500? I went to another park and I was able to fly past 800 feet from the remote with live feed. So maybe try different areas also? Anyway I expect more from this drone. DJI shows 5 miles range? That's crazy. I still love the looks and the image quality for the price. I can't complain. I guess try different locations too.

Thanks

What
Jafo
What mods?
just the itelite transmitter? If you do that and no receiver mods do you get decent range?
Any better ways to improve range to 1000 meters or so for cheaper?

I've got a breeze, a couple hubsan h501s, and would want any "upgrade" for my next drone to be at least as good range as the H501s (which I've taken to 600m, limited by battery and my fear of it plummeting into 40' of water).

I did the ITELite mods on the radio and both antenna mods on the Q. You really only need to do the video mod on the Q as radio gets out far enough on it's own.
If your flying over water, I would suggest getting a water noodle and cut it up to make floats for your Q landing gear.

About 700' stock and about 1.25 miles with mods.
If you do that, be smart about how you fly.My goal was distance more than altitude though I've done my share of climbing mountain sides as well.
The father away the Q gets the greater in video lag time.What you see in the screen my be up to 3-4 seconds behind when you get out .75 mile or more.
keep an eye on your battery power too.Don't get so far away you can't get back.The Q's are power hogs.
Added: Look here

Last edited:
About 700' stock and about 1.25 miles with mods.
If you do that, be smart about how you fly.My goal was distance more than altitude though I've done my share of climbing mountain sides as well.
The father away the Q gets the greater in video lag time.What you see in the screen my be up to 3-4 seconds behind when you get out .75 mile or more.
keep an eye on your battery power too.Don't get so far away you can't get back.The Q's are power hogs.
Added: Look here
That's really tough. $325 is the cheapest I see this refurbed, and then another $150 or so in mod parts puts it at the same price as the DJI Phantom 3 SE Refurb, which has similar flight time, 4K camera, is smaller, and has 4KM range.

Hard to recommend the Q500 with those economics.

Reactions: Marcius1979
That's true.You have to price compare for sure.
for me, i just wanted something different from the usual DJI that all my buddies fly.
On the field, I get the most questions as my drone looks nothing like the rest.
:)

Reactions: Marcius1979
That's true.You have to price compare for sure.
for me, i just wanted something different from the usual DJI that all my buddies fly.
On the field, I get the most questions as my drone looks nothing like the rest.
:)

I never had a dji... But I just love how stable the video looks... No vibration. Looks like I am holding the camera in the air. heheh!

I love the looks too.

That's really tough. $325 is the cheapest I see this refurbed, and then another $150 or so in mod parts puts it at the same price as the DJI Phantom 3 SE Refurb, which has similar flight time, 4K camera, is smaller, and has 4KM range.

Hard to recommend the Q500 with those economics.

I never had a dji drone... But for sure they are really good by the reviews. But what is the point of 4KM range? For sure it's cool but what is the point of it?

Those kind of distances for the average hobbyist/user are against the law in the US. You need special certifications and licenses for those kind of flights.Of course, it happens all the time and that's what makes our hobby look bad. That's how they get "Close calls" and so on... .
Also, if your going to fly those kinds of distances you need additional equipment.
I would want goggles for sure and a good base wifi transmitter.
A bit lengthy but look here:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech