Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 battery

Reaction score
I purchased a typhoon q500 4K from my uncle yesterday. I flew the drone twice before purchasing. Going through both batteries. Then last night once again used both batteries. I charged them last night and when I went to use the drone this morning about 30 seconds after take off I got a low battery alarm. Changed to the other battery and got the same thing after about a minute. The first time I flew the drone a little over a week ago was the first time it was flown in over a year. Has anyone experienced this before? Are my batteries gone? And if so how did they go out so fast? He stated he was not planning to store it so long and they were stored fully charged.

When I initially powered it on one battery showed 12.3v, the other showed 12.1. Within less than a minute of take off they both showed around 10.1v.

When I initially powered it on one battery showed 12.3v, the other showed 12.1. Within less than a minute of take off they both showed around 10.1v.
The first thing I would suspect is the battery charger. It should take a couple of hours to charge using the OEM charger.
Try charging one of them again and after it's charger remove it and test the voltage. It should be close to 12.6v. Then let it sit for a few hours and check it again. It should hold the voltage level.
If it doesn't reach 12.5 or 12.6 volts it could be a bad charger.

Thank you. I will give that a try. I have the stock yuneec charger as well as a keenstone heavy duty charger that shows me the voltage. I have charged the batteries on both since it started messing up. But I did not look to see what the voltage was. I will charge one tonight. Take it off and let it sit overnight and check it again in the morning.

If I understand correctly you have used 2 different chargers and the battery’s both depleted rapidly.
I would have to agree with checking the voltage, however the chances of having 2 bad chargers are slim to none. Do you know if the batteries are the original ? If so, how long has he had the drone? You may have bad batteries. Be sure to search the forum on proper care. It’s very important. Finally, I would be very hesitant to fly more than a few feet off the ground without the camera, until the issue is resolved
Good luck

When I unplugged the batter at 11 last night the charger showed 12.6v on it. When I plugged it back in this morning at 7:45 it showed 12.3v.

Can you measure voltage and IR of the individual cells with the third party charger?

If so, report the results here.

I did a cell balance and then another charge this morning. About 45 minutes later I checked the cells. They show
4.17v 4.20v 4.19v
I will take it out and see if it will fly when I am done with homework in a hour or so.

The cell reading of 4.17 may be a problem. They should be much closer. And the drop to 12.3 is a clue. Does your charger show the mAh during the charging?

Reactions: wherry
I took it out and flew. Once again less than a minute after take off the low battery warning went off. I flew it for about 4 minutes. Brought it in and checked it. The readings are 3.86v 3.92v and 3.89v. I believe it does show mAh. This battery swelled up during flight. And the other one swelled during charging last night. So I am done trying these batteries. I know virtually nothing about drones. But I know enough about lipo batteries to know it’s not worth my new drone to push these any further.

I do want to thank everyone for the help. I noticed on this last flight that the video was very jelloy. Would that be because of the battery being low? Or because it’s my first 4K video? All it was is a 360° video of my town from 180’. It stabilized in the middle but the beginning and ending is very jelloy.

If your uncle fully charged them and then stored them for a year, they most likely went bad as a result. Lipos do not fare well when they are stored fully charged for extended periods.

If your uncle fully charged them and then stored them for a year, they most likely went bad as a result. Lipos do not fare well when they are stored fully charged for extended periods.
Yeah. That’s what he figures. It wasn’t his only drone when he put it in the closet. Two weeks later his wife got him a phantom 3 for their anniversary and a couple months after that he got a spark and this was nearly forgotten about.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech