Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500 beeping with red light flashing

Reaction score
Hi, I'm pretty new to this forum, and I have a problem with my Q500. I haven't used the Q500 yet because of this beeping issue. I also bought this seconded handed in pretty good condition, with no cracks in the frame too, and never crashed. When I bought this though, it didn't come with the steady grip, camera, and USB programming interface key. When I turn the drone on, the rear light turns green for about a second and starts having a beeping noise, and the light starts flashing red. It will keep beeping like that until I turn it off, I tried searching it up but can't find any results about the situation. I'm going to attach a video so you can see what I'm doing. I also tried calibrating the drone, but when I tap the ST10, nothing happens. I did manage to connect the ST10 to the drone, though. If you look at the video, the drone makes the beeping noise even before I connect it to the ST10. The link for the video is here and the full video is here. Also, any suggestion for where to buy the USB programming interface key is appreciated. As I currently live in Canada, it's a bit hard to get repairs currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bean
Fast beeping could be a not centered stick at the ST10. Will it disappear when you switch to Angle Mode (Purple Status LED)?
Blinking red 3 times per second means initialization error. That is not good. Maybe none of the sensors is not proper plugged in. In this case the GUI with the (missing) USB to serial Converter cable would be helpful.
Another reason for red blinking is Home mode. Check position of flight mode switch.

Partially diagnosis may also possible with FlightLogs from ST10. Boot up the ST10 and then connect it via Micro-USB cable to your PC. ST10 should appear soon as MTP device in file manager.
Copy the whole folder "FlightLog" to your PC and zip it. Upload ZIP file here for diagnosis.

br HE

The beep code is "failure to initialize". The code doesn't change as the flight mode switch is changed in the video.
Generally, yeah, you need to get a Gui interface cable (YUNA100) Yuneec GUI USB Interface Programmer YUNA100 w/out Adapter Lead. With it, you can identify a component that is preventing an initialization, and diagnose other issues that may appear later. However, I'm not so sure you need to get that right now.

You mentioned it has not been crashed. But has the top shell been off? What your are seeing/hearing is very common when things are left unplugged, or wires get trapped/crushed/cut following a repair that involved removing the top shell.
The specific "failure to initialize" code you hear is associated with the GPS unit not correctly connected. What you are seeing on your controller is consistent with a craft that was previously bound, but the GPS unit is not correctly connected.

First thing is pull the shell back off and see if all the GPS wires are healthy and the plug is correctly installed. Could be a failed GPS unit, but that is not very common. Crushed wires are common. And forgetting to plug in the GPS is also very common. (Trust me. There's a reason I know what that particular code means. :confused: )

Sorry, I haver overlooked the videos. Yes this is the HW failure sound. I got it with defect/unplugged compass chip. Compass is the small part on the nose of the bird.
We can also see what sensor is affected in FlightLogs if you want to avoid to buy the USB to serial converter cable.
But you have to open the top shell anyhow.

br HE

The beep code is "failure to initialize". The code doesn't change as the flight mode switch is changed in the video.
Generally, yeah, you need to get a Gui interface cable (YUNA100) Yuneec GUI USB Interface Programmer YUNA100 w/out Adapter Lead. With it, you can identify a component that is preventing an initialization, and diagnose other issues that may appear later. However, I'm not so sure you need to get that right now.

You mentioned it has not been crashed. But has the top shell been off? What your are seeing/hearing is very common when things are left unplugged, or wires get trapped/crushed/cut following a repair that involved removing the top shell.
The specific "failure to initialize" code you hear is associated with the GPS unit not correctly connected. What you are seeing on your controller is consistent with a craft that was previously bound, but the GPS unit is not correctly connected.

First thing is pull the shell back off and see if all the GPS wires are healthy and the plug is correctly installed. Could be a failed GPS unit, but that is not very common. Crushed wires are common. And forgetting to plug in the GPS is also very common. (Trust me. There's a reason I know what that particular code means. :confused: )
Thanks for the reply, I managed to open the top shell but yet to know to make sure all the wires are connected. Perhaps link me a video of someone who does?

Reactions: Bean
The GPS is the bundle of wires that go between the top shell and the mainboard. It connects to the front right of the board. See the pictures below.
The other connector that sometimes gets missed is the compass connector. It is added to the picture below.
The system does not handle multiple codes well. If more than one issue is present, it only gives the code for the first one. Hence the need to check the compass connector, and then do a general look around for any other damaged wires.

top off.jpg GPS-Compass Connectors.jpg

Reactions: Logen
The GPS is the bundle of wires that go between the top shell and the mainboard. It connects to the front right of the board. See the pictures below.
The other connector that sometimes gets missed is the compass connector. It is added to the picture below.
The system does not handle multiple codes well. If more than one issue is present, it only gives the code for the first one. Hence the need to check the compass connector, and then do a general look around for any other damaged wires.

View attachment 24906 View attachment 24907
Oh so that's the GPS plug, thanks. I just fix it and now it works! Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bean and Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop