Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Question on Sports Shots

Reaction score
OK, I am pinning a target to my chest because I have an idea where this is going, but, I just have to ask.

I am NOT a commercial pilot. I have been asked by a manager of a large Little League baseball organization here to "take some aerial shots" especially of an opening day event and maybe throughout the season. He has management of two fields the organization owns. The board is approving. Everyone who registers also signs a waiver for photography. Is there anyway to do this within the rules?

Any activity with an sUAS that promotes a business or charity is considered to be commercial use and therefore the pilot needs to be 107 certified (in the USA and its territories). It does not matter if the use is pro bono or not.

While it doesn’t seem fair in a lot of cases, it makes for a safer environment for sUAS operations as only licensed pilots should be flying at these events and therefore all rules should be observed by those doing such.

Any activity with an sUAS that promotes a business or charity is considered to be commercial use and therefore the pilot needs to be 107 certified (in the USA and its territories). It does not matter if the use is pro bono or not.

While it doesn’t seem fair in a lot of cases, it makes for a safer environment for sUAS operations as only licensed pilots should be flying at these events and therefore all rules should be observed by those doing such.
The same would be true here in the U.K. too. Whether the pilot is paid or not, if those images are used to promote a business then those images are seen as being of a commercial nature so the pilot should hold a PfCO.

In practice, though, it would seem that our CAA does not actively police such activities, not that I can see anyway, so many hobby pilots are getting away with it over here to the detriment of those that have taken the trouble of getting certified.

I wouldn't risk doing this, you may have a disgruntle parent or two, who may want to report you.
Also there may be somebody who has a 107 or a real pilot and want's to see your credentials, he may report you as well?
Also don't forget you can not fly over people unless you get a waiver, but you need a 107 first.
When I was shooting this video, I had an individual ask me if I had permission, (yes) and I should him my 107 also.
Baseball  Park.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't risk doing this, you may have a disgruntle parent or two, who may want to report you.
Also there may be somebody who has a 107 or a real pilot and want's to see your credentials, he may report you as well?
Also don't forget you can not fly over people unless you get a waiver, but you need a 107 first.
When I was shooting this video, I had an individual ask my if I had permission, (yes) and I should him my 107
View attachment 15418
Here in the U.K. it is still (currently) legal to fly over an individual or small groups of people (for both hobby and PfCO holders) so long as you are at least 50m above them...but not over larger groups of people. For example, I would see that group of people on the sports pitch as a 'larger group of people' and also see it as a 'congested' area. Congested areas are not to be flown within 150m for a hobby pilot (50m for a PfCO holder). It follows, then, that a PfCO holder in the U.K. would not be flying illegally so long as he is at least 50m away from the field when taking a similar shot as above.

Last edited:
That’s not legal in the U. S. at any height without a waiver and a lot of safety mitigation.

I’ll venture there’s a few starving 107 operators in the area that would jump on an opportunity to handle the shoot, perhaps pro bono to get their name out there. Just have them demonstrate their knowledge, skill, and obtain a certificate of additional insured listing the league before getting them around a group of people. If anything were to happen you would be glad you did.

You can be the safety officer/Mission Commander and control the shoot.

That’s not legal in the U. S. at any height without a waiver and a lot of safety mitigation.

I’ll venture there’s a few starving 107 operators in the area that would jump on an opportunity to handle the shoot, perhaps pro bono to get their name out there. Just have them demonstrate their knowledge, skill, and obtain a certificate of additional insured listing the league before getting them around a group of people. If anything were to happen you would be glad you did.

You can be the safety officer/Mission Commander and control the shoot.
UK drone laws are currently fluid at the moment. The latest amendment to the Air Navigation Order was as recent as February. So while currently being legal to fly over small groups of people staying outside of a 50m dome above them, I would not be at all surprised if that may change with a future amendment,

On this side of the pond they’re still working out when and where people can be over flown. A few organizations have been granted waivers for this but lacking a waiver it’s still prohibited unless the people are part of the shoot and been briefed prior to.

Thanks for the reply. I am currently preparing for Part 107 and enjoying the journey immensely. I have been studying tonight and I have a question about air space. This hasn't really been clear to me.
In the US, if the outer shelf of controlled airspace is, say, 100/17, can I pilot under that shelf?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss