Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Re-introduction to me. Howdy

Reaction score
So, I've gotten my H out of mothballs. It's been sitting for about a year now. Had/have some family health issues that required my full attention. I've popped in here recently, to get some answers, but, haven't spent much time here in the last year. Rather than make a bunch of different posts, I thought I'd just blurt it all out here, and save some space

First things first. I know when I purchased my H, the thought (hope) seemed to be that, "Finally, there's a young up and comer drone company, that has the products and wherewithal to challenge DJI". As I recall, a good bit of that was based on the presumption that Yuneec was/would be, far superior to DJI in terms of customer support. Has Yuneec lived up to that hope(hype?), or are they just more of the same?

My personal experience with the H's batteries. As I mentioned earlier, I dropped flying the H for a year. Well, all of my batteries were fully charged. Big no no, I know. First thing was purchasing an aftermarket charger, because I thought, unless I baby these from here on out, it won't be pretty. Actually, that wasn't the first thing. I did fly the 3 of them, (had to know if they were alive) and the original battery, was swollen a bit. I honestly can't say if it happened while being stored, or after the flight, a very short flight. It started at about 16.6V, and within a few seconds was at 14.7V, so I immediately landed. My other 2 batteries were purchased a couple of months after my H. They performed exactly as they had prior to being stored. I was pretty certain they would now degrade precipitously over time. To my surprise, after a couple of times being balance charged, I'm getting nearly 4 minutes more than ever before. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to make my mistake, just thought someone might be interested to know what happens when you really mistreat them.

Speaking of "my mistake". I started a derpy thread here asking about the the range of motion of the camera. (mine would only go halfway). Turns out that I had done a reset earlier of the ST16, but, the instructions I read didn't state to, "make sure the sliders are left at the halfway position prior to reset". In my search for a solution, I ended up finding the directions, this time with the pertinent info, problem solved.

I seem to recall after a certain firmware update, a phenomena known as "toilet bowling". I don't do that, but, on about every other take-off, the H just wants to keep going higher, and I've got to move the throttle all the way down and hold, just to prevent it going higher. After a couple of seconds, it begins to respond and decend. I wonder if it has to do with what it thinks is altitude @ launch site? Which brings me to another question. Does the ST16 come with "Mode1" as the default setting under "Mode Select"? (Mine is in Mode 2) Has any firmware changed the default? The reason I ask, is, A. I don't remember, but, B. I've noticed that sometimes I go forward, when I wanted to go up, and vice versa.(Due to my faulty input (muscle memory?) not the controller) If the answer is Mode 1 is the default, and no firmware changed it, then it's due to old fumble thumbs, and should change it back right away.

Last edited:
So, I've gotten my H out of mothballs. It's been sitting for about a year now. Had/have some family health issues that required my full attention. I've popped in here recently, to get some answers, but, haven't spent much time here in the last year. Rather than make a bunch of different posts, I thought I'd just blurt it all out here, and save some space

First things first. I know when I purchased my H, the thought (hope) seemed to be that, "Finally, there's a young up and comer drone company, that has the products and wherewithal to challenge DJI". As I recall, a good bit of that was based on the presumption that Yuneec was/would be, far superior to DJI in terms of customer support. Has Yuneec lived up to that hope(hype?), or are they just more of the same?

I've read many stories about both Yuneec and DJI's customer support. Seems that they're overall decent, and that has been my own experience as well. For those rare times when they aren't so good, it seems they're still a far sight better than what nightmares I have read about DJI. This is one of the reasons I went with a Yuneec sUAS as well.

My personal experience with the H's batteries. As I mentioned earlier, I dropped flying the H for a year. Well, all of my batteries were fully charged. Big no no, I know. First thing was purchasing an aftermarket charger, because I thought, unless I baby these from here on out, it won't be pretty. Actually, that wasn't the first thing. I did fly the 3 of them, (had to know if they were alive) and the original battery, was swollen a bit. I honestly can't say if it happened while being stored, or after the flight, a very short flight. It started at about 16.6V, and within a few seconds was at 14.7V, so I immediately landed. My other 2 batteries were purchased a couple of months after my H. They performed exactly as they had prior to being stored. I was pretty certain they would now degrade precipitously over time. To my surprise, after a couple of times being balance charged, I'm getting nearly 4 minutes more than ever before. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to make my mistake, just thought someone might be interested to know what happens when you really mistreat them.

I've also stored LiPos in fully charged states, sometimes not using them for several years. I also have not noticed issues with them. I have two that I use with my T-Rex 500 that are almost 10 years old, have been abused, crashed, and mis-stored. They're not puffed, and are about 85% of specified capacity.

Speaking of "my mistake". I started a derpy thread here asking about the the range of motion of the camera. (mine would only go halfway). Turns out that I had done a reset earlier of the ST16, but, the instructions I read didn't state to, "make sure the sliders are left at the halfway position prior to reset". In my search for a solution, I ended up finding the directions, this time with the pertinent info, problem solved.

I seem to recall after a certain firmware update, a phenomena known as "toilet bowling". I don't do that, but, on about every other take-off, the H just wants to keep going higher, and I've got to move the throttle all the way down and hold, just to prevent it going higher. After a couple of seconds, it begins to respond and decend. I wonder if it has to do with what it thinks is altitude @ launch site? Which brings me to another question. Does the ST16 come with "Mode1" as the default setting under "Mode Select"? (Mine is in Mode 2) Has any firmware changed the default? The reason I ask, is, A. I don't remember, but, B. I've noticed that sometimes I go forward, when I wanted to go up, and vice versa.(Due to my faulty input (muscle memory?) not the controller) If the answer is Mode 1 is the default, and no firmware changed it, then it's due to old fumble thumbs, and should change it back right away.

Sounds as if you have a dirty joystick (low hanging fruit for some sophomoric jokes! LOL) or something is way out of calibration. Might want to refer to all of the log files to see what's going on, and check the controller with the hardware monitor.
Mode 2 is the default.

<snip>...

...<snip>
Yuneeks CS is generally still superior to dji. I say 'generally' because I've seen some exceptions. There are a few members here that have not had a good experience due to various reasons. However, from what I can see, generally Yuneec seems to fair far better than dji in this respect. Of the two, then, if a choice were to be made between a product of dji and of Yuneec based solely on CS, then I'd say that the choice must be with Yuneec.

Batteries.
For reasons that I won't go into here, I stopped flying for several months between late 2015 and spring 2016 and of the three dji batteries I had in service at the time (P2V+ batteries), two of them were left in not an ideal state...only one of them was stored at storage level. When I resumed flying they all charged up well and flew just as well as they did before the gap and non of them showed any signs of puffing. Maybe I was just lucky? I dunno. However, it is interesting for me to note that the battery that was stored properly is now showing signs of deterioration. No puffing but with reduced flying times. The other two are still performing nicely.

Reactions: Johnnb71
Thanks for the replies. In regards to Mode 2 being default, I don't know whether to feel better, or worse.

There are always ways to get around such technicalities.
I could technically give the video and all rights to a friend, who could then sell it to someone ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430