Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Real Sense?

Reaction score
How can you tell if the Real Sense module is actually working or not. When I power up my H, the Real Sense module has a tiny red light inside the 2nd lens?

If you've enabled the RealSense in the ST16 then you've done what you can.

To Enable the RealSense Module if installed tap “System Settings”, tap “Other
Settings”, check the box next to “RealSense Installed”.

Its only active in 2 Smart modes: Watch Me and Follow Me. If you're adventurous its required for IPS mode.

Reactions: Texas_Willie

Its only active in 2 Smart modes: Watch Me and Follow Me. If you're adventurous its required for IPS mode.
Cool, I guess that is really everything I need to know. I will check it out today when I go flying...Thanks So Much for your reply and Information!

RD,

Not trying to argue, just perplexed.

I have been able to use Obstacle Avoidance (Real Sense Module) in Angle Mode since day 1 (circa Dec., 2016). I don't know about Smart Mode as I doubt I ever tried OBS in the one or two times I actually used Smart Mode.

I just took a look at the original manual that came with my RS-equipped H480. It makes no reference of "Smart Mode Only" for RS. In fact, it mentions that in Follow-Me mode, obstacle avoidance is not available. "Pilots who change their altitude during flight should be mindful of this." Page 8 of the original manual states the above.

Page 9, in the Angle Mode section, has a paragraph about the Obstacle Avoid switch.

If memory serves, you are not the only one who has stated "OBS/RealSense is only available in Smart Mode." Yet everything I have experienced and read in manuals contradicts this.

Please let me know what I am missing. If my observations are completely wrong, I will delete this reply.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

First, don't delete your response. I'm sure others have the same questions/concerns.

OA and RealSense are two different things. The basic OA simply looks forward and refuses to fly into something into that the sonar sees in front of it.

RealSense is something that Intel developed. Its forward sensors create a 3D map and it will "see" the obstacle and "looks" to fly over or around the obstacle. Intel calls it "Obstacle Navigation". Its shortcoming is that there are NO sensors on top of the H so its happy to lift up into a tree or branch or anything above it.

The RealSense module on the H also includes two downward facing sonar "cameras" which are useful for IPS and not landing with the gear up.

I have RealSense on one of my H as well.

Hi Jeff,

First, don't delete your response. I'm sure others have the same questions/concerns.

OA and RealSense are two different things. The basic OA simply looks forward and refuses to fly into something into that the sonar sees in front of it.

RealSense is something that Intel developed. Its forward sensors create a 3D map and it will "see" the obstacle and "looks" to fly over or around the obstacle. Intel calls it "Obstacle Navigation". Its shortcoming is that there are NO sensors on top of the H so its happy to lift up into a tree or branch or anything above it.

The RealSense module on the H also includes two downward facing sonar "cameras" which are useful for IPS and not landing with the gear up.

I have RealSense on one of my H as well.

Hi Ron!

Thanks for your reply.

I guess my confusion, or lack of research/understanding is the differences between the utilization of Obstacle Avoidance and RealSense.

As stated, I rarely ever used Smart Mode, and that was only with my RS-equipped H480. Have never tried it with my non-RS hull. I only know when I activate OBS with my RS H480, I get something, whereas the non-RS H480 doesn't change.

All this flying only in angle mode has left me without some hands on experience with the other modes, I guess. Not sure when I dare try Smart Mode, as I am surrounded by trees except for the lake. Certainly don't want to take off in Smart Mode, that's for sure! No "safe zone" for this guy!

Guess I have a reason to experiment some more once the lake freezes or I find an open field. Oh darn... more flying.

Jeff

So, this thread is bringing up a couple of questions for me.

Will the H return to the starting elevation once it has cleared an obstacle?

When you have the H in Watch Me, instead of Follow me, does the Camera Gimbal turn to the Pilot, leaving the Real Sense module facing forward?

TIA

TW :D

Hi Ron!

Thanks for your reply.

I guess my confusion, or lack of research/understanding is the differences between the utilization of Obstacle Avoidance and RealSense.

As stated, I rarely ever used Smart Mode, and that was only with my RS-equipped H480. Have never tried it with my non-RS hull. I only know when I activate OBS with my RS H480, I get something, whereas the non-RS H480 doesn't change.

All this flying only in angle mode has left me without some hands on experience with the other modes, I guess. Not sure when I dare try Smart Mode, as I am surrounded by trees except for the lake. Certainly don't want to take off in Smart Mode, that's for sure! No "safe zone" for this guy!

Guess I have a reason to experiment some more once the lake freezes or I find an open field. Oh darn... more flying.

Jeff

Jeff,

When you activate OBS with the RS H what do you see that you don't see with the H without RS?

I rarely fly in anything but Angle mode. I used Smart Mode for my first 3-4 flights but found it annoying so I went to Angle quickly. I didn't really do much research on RS when I bought it. I thought it might save me from my own stupidity. I was wrong. :)

I'm not a social media kind of guy so Watch Me and Follow Me was never that appealing to me. I typically fly my H that doesn't have RS.

If you do have RS and you've enabled RS, avoid flying into flying into the sunrise/sunset or bright lights. It may cause errors or not be able to detect small objects.

So, this thread is bringing up a couple of questions for me.

Will the H return to the starting elevation once it has cleared an obstacle?

When you have the H in Watch Me, instead of Follow me, does the Camera Gimbal turn to the Pilot, leaving the Real Sense module facing forward?

TIA

TW :D

TW,

Help me understand your first question. Is your question in regards to OBS?

From Charles Ogren's excellent manual on the H.

FOLLOW ME:

The system will control the aircraft to FOLLOW the controller, you can make adjustments to the Camera as you like. The aircraft will maintain the current height and distance – unless with (RS) version - it’s avoiding an obstacle. Sonar version with OBS Avoid On will STOP in front of an obstacle.

WARNING!! (Sonar version)
If you change altitude (i.e. walk up a hill) the Typhoon H will NOT change altitude automatically.

Gimbal (Camera):

 The system will control the aircraft to follow the controller automatically. You can adjust the gimbal as you would like. (i.e. the camera could be looking at something else but the aircraft is following you).

With a better understanding of the Gimbal Controls discussed earlier and Camera Controls (covered later), you can perform many different photo/filming shots as the aircraft is following you.

Aircraft:

 You can make adjustments to the aircraft as desired. But remember the Smart Circle & Geo-Fence.

WATCH ME:

The system will control the aircraft and also Keep the Gimbal (camera) on you to keep you in frame [hence the name Watch Me], while following the controller.
(RS) version will avoid an obstacle. Sonar version with OBS Avoid On will STOP in front of an obstacle.

Before selecting Watch Me - use the Gimbal controls to get you in center frame. After Selecting Watch Me - place the Tilt Slider control in the center (mid) position.

Camera (Gimbal):
 When Watch Me is activated you have NO control over the Gimbal [i.e. Pan or Tilt], except some minor adjustments to get you centered in the frame, the system will control the Gimbal (camera).

Aircraft:

 The aircrafts front will face away from you to look for obstacles and the camera pointing back at you. You can make adjustments to the aircraft as desired. But remember the Smart Circle & Geo-Fence. (RS) version will avoid an obstacle. Sonar version with OBS Avoid On will STOP in front of an obstacle.

My questions only involve avoiding having the H crash while in whatever "Mode"...There is a lot of confusing information between OBS and RealSense and it is becoming more and more frustrating trying to understand the difference. I just want to be sure I am not going to have my H crash into something.

If I am using "Follow Me or Watch Me", will either one of those modes account for elevation changes in the terrain, without further Pilot input? I hope I am making my self clear? :p

TIA

TW

My questions only involve avoiding having the H crash while in whatever "Mode"...There is a lot of confusing information between OBS and RealSense and it is becoming more and more frustrating trying to understand the difference. I just want to be sure I am not going to have my H crash into something.

If I am using "Follow Me or Watch Me", will either one of those modes account for elevation changes in the terrain, without further Pilot input? I hope I am making my self clear? :p

TIA

TW

Simply put, NO. AFAIK it will NOT account for the terrain changes in altitude.

Glad I was able to help, T-W. There's a lot to grasp with the H and a lot of that is not intuitive and little is adequately documented.

I am looking forward to seeing some of your video and photos from the H.

Glad I was able to help, T-W. There's a lot to grasp with the H and a lot of that is not intuitive and little is adequately documented.

I am looking forward to seeing some of your video and photos from the H.
Here's a link to my website. All the videos there were done with my Q500 4k...Same camera as my H.

Aerial Artistry

Thanks, T-W! That’s a good body of work!
Thanks Ron, I am just getting started. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to do some close quarters flying and filming. My Niece threw a Birthday party for her boyfriends 40th and my Brother In Law hosted it in his Backyard.

I set up on the other side of a fence that runs between his property and the little market next door, lifted off and flew up and over the fence to start filming the surroundings...The camera work really sucks, but I was mainly focused on flying the close quarters.

First Flight

Dunk Tank Footage

Looks like quite a family get together. The drone work looks pretty smooth especially given the tight quarters.
Thanks Ron, I am pretty sure it got a LOT more crowed later in the day and they began filling up Tent City :p But I left before the place was full of falling down drunks...LOL

Reactions: rdonson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval