Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

RTL function not consistent

Reaction score
We flew a relatively simple 3 minute programmed mission several times recently, changing altitude parameter from relative to launch point to above terrain, etc to see what the 520 would do as we were at the top of a steep slope and we were flying "down the slope" and back up. In the Mission Start box we told the 520 to return to launch at mission end. The distance from last waypoint to launch point was about 20 feet, with no obstruction between them. When the 520 got to the last waypoint, one of two things happened, the 520 would move over the launch point and self land or it would move to the launch point and then go into RTL mode, going directly up and then directly down and land. The missions were flown one after the other with minimal time in between. We had no way of determining what the 520 was going to do until it simply landed or took off into the heavens. My search for an explanation has come up empty. I believe I am correct in thinking that the pilot has to initiate the RTL function, the 520 will not do it, and it is up to the pilot to be sure there are not obstructions between last waypoint and landing, just as it is between any other 2 waypoints. Based upon that premise, I think the RTL function is butting in where it does not belong. Nowhere in the mission program do I see anything about RTL being a part of it. Comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RTL can occur due to the following:
- pilot command
- planned battery change during mission
- low battery voltage or
- loss of control signal from the ST16.

The last three scenarios happen automatically without pilot input and this is why the H520 manual advises very strongly that the RTL height be set before commencing the mission. This is particularly relevant with the last scenario because you do not have control.

Without knowing all the details of what you were doing and what the log for the flight shows I'd have to say that the most likely candidates are the last two scenarios.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annamiller