Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Satellites & ST10 + Controller Question.arding

Reaction score
Hello Friends, I have only been flying for my Q500 for about 5 months, & It Is AWESOME! But i have a quick question about *Satellites* I see there are two types shown on the controller.. those regarding the Aircraft, & the other regarding the transmitter/controller. which is more important?... the Aircraft, or the controller?.. What is the safe amount to take off with?... And again, Aircraft... Controller... or Both!?? I'm sure the more the better, RIGHT?? Thanks for your answers...

They are as important as each other, because both are used in the event of Return to Home where the craft comes back to the vicinity of the controller, which means the system needs to know where both things are. GPS only requires 4 satellites to work, but the Q500 wants some redundancy so won't let you arm motors until you have at at least 8 on both. I want a lot more than that, so tend to wait on the ground until I have 16-18 on the craft and the controller after which I find I very rarely lose GPS in flight. However, for some reason it is not unusual to get <3 less satellites on the controller than you get on the craft...

Last edited:
for some reason it is not unusual to get <3 less satellites on the controller than you get on the craft...
Right. The controller only looks for GPS satellites and the Q500 looks for both GPS and GLONASS satellites. I never launch the Q until it has at least 12. Since the Q is moving the higher count helps with accuracy. The GPS location of both units determines the distance calculation shown on the controller.

They are as important as each other, because both are used in the event of Return to Home where the craft comes back to the vicinity of the controller, which means the system needs to know where both things are. GPS only requires 4 satellites to work, but the Q500 wants some redundancy so won't let you arm motors until you have at at least 8 on both. I want a lot more than that, so tend to wait on the ground until I have 16-18 on the craft and the controller after which I find I very rarely lose GPS in flight. However, for some reason it is not unusual to get <3 less satellites on the controller than you get on the craft...
16-18!! High high can the Sats Go?? In my opinion, If U Ever Have To Use "RTH" That means you R In big TROUBLE!... Y else would U Use It?..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval