Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Shorted my Mantis, need help with the repair

Reaction score
so I dropped my battery and it broke out of the case. I put it back together and plugged in only to find it was upside down and magic smoke came out.

What do i need to replace? Has anyone replaced just the components that burn when this happens?

What did you plug the battery into and where did the smoke come from? The connector is keyed so I am having trouble picturing how this happened.

What did you plug the battery into and where did the smoke come from? The connector is keyed so I am having trouble picturing how this happened.

Like I said, the casing broke and the battery pack inside got flipped upside down when I put it back together. That caused the polarity to be swapped.

I plugged it just as you'd expect. I haven't taken it back apart yet to see where it burned. I am assuming it is the main board.

Last edited:
What do i need to replace? Has anyone replaced just the components that burn when this happens?
Hate it when that happens.
I haven't worked with a Mantis. But I've worked with several Q500 boards, the similar 350QX boards, a couple of the Typhoon H and a couple of random others. The best I can say is "maybe". But way more than half were eventually recovered. Always had to replace the main control Mosfet, which was always damaged, but sometimes not visibly. Various capacitors around the board blow out, and those are usually visible. They can be a nuisance if the board surface around them gets blown away. The mosfets that feed power to the motors are often damaged, and may or may not show signs. Tracing gets blown out of the board, and is sometimes difficult to replace. The bad thing is that small parts just sort of disappear, and it's hard to spot their absence.
There are challenges in the IMU and the CPU. Those almost never show damage. They just don't work when you get everything else fixed. The IMUs are difficult to successfully replace. I have NEVER successfully replaced the CPU. For some reason, the replaced CPUs always display permanent low voltage, and will not allow the drone to start. There are a couple guys on the Forum much more familiar with circuit board stuff than I am. One of them may be able to tell both of us how to replace a CPU.

Reactions: AeroJ
Hate it when that happens.
I haven't worked with a Mantis. But I've worked with several Q500 boards, the similar 350QX boards, a couple of the Typhoon H and a couple of random others. The best I can say is "maybe". But way more than half were eventually recovered. Always had to replace the main control Mosfet, which was always damaged, but sometimes not visibly. Various capacitors around the board blow out, and those are usually visible. They can be a nuisance if the board surface around them gets blown away. The mosfets that feed power to the motors are often damaged, and may or may not show signs. Tracing gets blown out of the board, and is sometimes difficult to replace. The bad thing is that small parts just sort of disappear, and it's hard to spot their absence.
There are challenges in the IMU and the CPU. Those almost never show damage. They just don't work when you get everything else fixed. The IMUs are difficult to successfully replace. I have NEVER successfully replaced the CPU. For some reason, the replaced CPUs always display permanent low voltage, and will not allow the drone to start. There are a couple guys on the Forum much more familiar with circuit board stuff than I am. One of them may be able to tell both of us how to replace a CPU.
So in that case, seems the least painful thing to do is just replace the whole board ?

I saw one few moons back for $90 @ $Bay. Or else wait for a mini to hit mid 200's and get one close to Xmas.
Usually the electronics are protected against high voltage input via diodes which I think that what burned out in your case. But its a pain in the you know what to repair so I do not see an ROI there.
Or you can ask sellers ( usually I call them the undertakers, if you look at what they are selling) and they will be able to sell one to you. I did that with hard to find Amiga hardware.

Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval