Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Sorry, I'm Canadian.

Murray Martz

Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I just wanted to share a story about a recent fishing day I had last Saturday.

We went to a lake called Blackstrap to try and catch some weeds as that is all that seems to be there. We were about an hour in and a small grey car with Kentucky plates on it drove up to where we were. This little guy with a big belt buckle and cowboy hat steps out. As his door was open you could see he had been on the road for a very long time. There were take-out boxes, pillows, blankets, fishing gear, all sorts of things strewn about the inside.

I asked him where he was headed and he told us he was active military and was moving to Alaska, Fairbanks to be exact. Told us he was a driver and wanted to see Canada on the way and get in some fishing. I felt for the little guy as Saskatchewan is pretty boring until you get a few more hours north of where we were. He asked if we minded if he joined us for some fishing and and we said sure.

There was plenty of small talk about where he was from and what it was like here. He said he couldn't wait to hear a Canadian say "eh", but in his first 4 hours of driving he had not had the chance, not even on the radio. I explained to him what "eh" really meant and how we used it. So now with an understanding of "eh" he was able to use it close to the way we do.

"Eh" is just a word we use like "hey" or "you know" or anything else that will fit in, mostly as an ending to a question. And why do we say sorry?....Because it's never worth a confrontation no matter who was at fault, it's just easier to say sorry and move on.

As he was getting ready to leave and we said our good-byes I told him I have one small task for him and it would give him an even better understanding of what Canada is about. I said to him " bump my arm ", so he does and I reply.."sorry eh!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22