Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST 16 S battery

Reaction score
I have recently bought an H+ and found that the battery discharges at what seems to be a horrific rate in my opinion. Any one have any experience with this?

How long is it lasting? Might help others to help diagnose if there is a problem.

After about 5 min. it goes from 100pct to 93pct. after flying 2 batteries (H+) it drops to about 50 to 65pct.
The ST16s is much more power hungry than the ST16. If I plan to fly several batteries I connect one of the USB power packs. It extends the time.
I haven't really watched that closely but I have gotten it down to 30% on several occasions.
@DCH, what kind of drop do you see when flying?

I don't typically time my flights or the ST16S times. However yesterday I flew down 2 batteries that are getting old, and I did happen to time the entire event. Each flight was approximately 10 minutes, I left the ST16S on while I changed the batteries, and after 20 minutes of total flight time It was at 80%. If I remember correctly, my experience from past when the batteries would give me 15+ minutes, is that 4 flights/4 batteries would deplete the ST16S battery. I have 5 batteries, but it never seemed there was enough life in the ST16S to fly them all. I agree that the ST16 battery lasted way longer.

Reactions: paolo negroni
I have recently bought an H+ and found that the battery discharges at what seems to be a horrific rate in my opinion. Any one have any experience with this?

Yes, about the " horrific rate", it is "normal" I have opened the battery case and substitude the 3 Li-Ion battery with LG18650MJ1 3500mAh for a total of 10500mAh instead of 8600mAh.

Now after a fly time of 20 minutes the ST16s is at 93% of discharge.

Yes, about the " horrific rate", it is "normal" I have opened the battery case and substitude the 3 Li-Ion battery with LG18650MJ1 3500mAh for a total of 10500mAh instead of 8600mAh.

Now after a fly time of 20 minutes the ST16s is at 93% of discharge.
Just be very careful when working inside the battery pack.
The Positive buss is very near the ground strap.

You can always use a powerpack connected for charging while you fly. With velcro it stays in place of the backplate. I usually do this on my ST16.

Reactions: jeorghe and ttmarch
Ok, now I know what to expect out of a single battery. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

The charge current using the ST16s is about 1.5A using a 2A cell phone charger, but obviously is limited when near to full charge.
The battery consist of 8700mAh , in the pack there are 3 cell NCR18650PF and the total charge current (following the lion cell datasheet) could be 1375mAh X 3cell .

Thanks for identifying the cells.
It looks like the (useful) capacity is around 8000mAh for a fresh pack.

This is inside the battery pack of ST16s .

Only a pcb to prevent the over discharge.
You can replace the 3 Li-Ion with a single lipo for example 12000mAh or more or other solutions.

P_20191029_204935_vHDR_On_HP.jpgP_20191029_204920_vHDR_On_HP.jpg

Reactions: Andrew Grant
This is inside the battery pack of ST16s .

Only a pcb to prevent the over discharge.
You can replace the 3 Li-Ion with a single lipo for example 12000mAh or more or other solutions.

View attachment 18902View attachment 18903

This is great news! Thank you for this as I have a ton of 18650s laying around. Now I know I can swap them out for better batteries because I feel like the drain from the controller seems to fast.

Where you able to keep the battery casing intact or is it HF welded plastic?

You can cut with a sharp knife along the perimeter at the junction of the two parts of the case, where there Is a Little of glue.

Yes, could be a lot of alternative solutions to adapt the standard case to an external and more durable power source. I will try to design a 3D model of the case to mantain the original intact.
(I am doing the same for the aircraft battery ...)

Reactions: Andrew Grant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval