Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

St16 controller freezing and shutting down

Reaction score
Evening has anyone experienced their st16 freezing then shutting down and rebooting during flight ,its happend a number of times, the typhoon h stops in mid air and holds its position, the video continues recording and once st16 has rebooted everything continues to work as it should ,its also happen while testing on bench, spoke to yuneec uk and they say they have never heard of it before!! , I've done a hard reset and the problem happened again today,its happens with different batteries ,so not the battery ,any one have any experience of this or possible solutions ,
Cheers

Reactions: Mr. I
Evening has anyone experienced their st16 freezing then shutting down and rebooting during flight ,its happend a number of times, the typhoon h stops in mid air and holds its position, the video continues recording and once st16 has rebooted everything continues to work as it should ,its also happen while testing on bench, spoke to yuneec uk and they say they have never heard of it before!! , I've done a hard reset and the problem happened again today,its happens with different batteries ,so not the battery ,any one have any experience of this or possible solutions ,
Cheers
I have not heard of it with an ST16 , but that does not mean it is not heard of with the actual tablet part. The ST16 is for the most part a tablet with an RC controller wrapped around it, and tablets do have that happen as do cell phones. It will most likely be the motherboard of the tablet that is causing the problem, but you should also test the batteries to make sure they are holding a proper charge.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Cheers
Is it still within the six month warranty? Have you tried to do something by adding Apps or messing with Playstore?

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the replies , I've been trying a few different things tonight and its seems to freeze up if you select a different setting on the screen . ie. Swapping between panorama and single shot photo or altering the wb. I've got a couple of batteries for the controller and both are holding charge well ...

I've not downloaded or added anything to the controller it's as it came out of the box it's got all the up to date firmware ....

I don't use phone with it and if I'm flying I have phone off anyway....

Anything not working as it should and still under warranty should get sent back for warranty repair or replacement. It’s a little foolish trying to fix something covered under warranty when individual efforts to make repairs could/would void the warranty.

I've got 2 st16 batteries and the problem occurs which ever one is being used

Out of warranty now when I spoke to yuneec uk they said they have never heard or experienced the problem and it was a real strange one ,I'm going to send it to them for testing and repair , I just wondered has they have not heard of it happening before , if it was a one off or others have had it happen

Out of warranty now when I spoke to yuneec uk they said they have never heard or experienced the problem and it was a real strange one ,I'm going to send it to them for testing and repair , I just wondered has they have not heard of it happening before , if it was a one off or others have had it happen
Worth a try, they are pretty good, see if anybody has a solution first on here. Not heard before is usually can't be bothered, I only answer the phone, there are more technically minded people there than Just customer service.

Reactions: Womble68
As I said, with tablets and cell phones, it is usually the motherboard when that happens, and the ST16 is still just a tablet. I had it happen with an ASUS tablet and a Samsung Galaxy phone. Both times it was the motherboard. Go into the settings of the tablet, get the model number for the one used in yours, then start to search the net for the problem. It is highly unlikely that the answer you are looking for is going to be on this forum.

One other item that could cause shut downs is heat. An ST-16 left sitting for prolonged periods in direct sunlight when elevated temperatures are occurring could be expected to experience shut downs. The issue occurs with cell phones and tablets as well.

@PatR has a good point. I have been flying Typhoons for a couple of years and never experienced this until a few months back. I was flying my Typhoon H Plus midday in the beginning of summer and as I was hovering lining up a shot, the screen turned off and within a couple of seconds the boot up sequence started and proceeded as normal and then eventually the live view and all instrumentation reappeared and control was returned. The whole process took maybe 20 seconds and during this time the Plus just hovered in position. I have not experienced this since.

One other item that could cause shut downs is heat. An ST-16 left sitting for prolonged periods in direct sunlight when elevated temperatures are occurring could be expected to experience shut downs. The issue occurs with cell phones and tablets as well.
Correct, when you start to look at it for what it is, then it is easier to solve the problem. A lot of people use windshield mounts for their cell phones. It can cause the sim card to become disconnected and drain power very fast, and it puts strain on the motherboard as it is trying to draw from the battery faster than the battery can supply power. Add to that the tablet or phone trying to access the GPS.....now you have created a lot of heat. One thing to look at is if the fans are venting the heat away from the unit properly, or how hot the air is that is coming from them.

Along the line of heat being a possible problem, are both fans operating on the ST-16?

Never thought of the heat , I've had items that have got hot and shut down or won't work till they have cooled down, the fans do kick in when switching on the st16 in the boot up phase I'll see if they are running when the problem occurs, does anybody know do the fans work constantly or do they just kick in at a certain temperature and then off once cooled ?? , thanks again everyone for the replies ......

The fans run constantly from power on to power off, but they are small fans installed to move air in an in/out configuration. One fan in, one fan out.

The lay out inside the ST-16 has both fans at the top of the ST-16 between two switch boards. Most of the heat generating electronics reside well below the fans.

Cheers
I'm having the same problem right now with mine too. Did the hard reset but nothing changed. I'm trying to find out if I can reflash the ST16+. Does anyone know how to do that ?

Reactions: Womble68
Never thought of the heat , I've had items that have got hot and shut down or won't work till they have cooled down, the fans do kick in when switching on the st16 in the boot up phase I'll see if they are running when the problem occurs, does anybody know do the fans work constantly or do they just kick in at a certain temperature and then off once cooled ?? , thanks again everyone for the replies ......
I think your in the UK? Remember we are having a heatwave at the moment. Not that we have that problem often. I've not flown because of this extreme humid conditions and threat of Thunderstorms.

I think your in the UK? Remember we are having a heatwave at the moment. Not that we have that problem often. I've not flown because of this extreme humid conditions and threat of Thunderstorms.
Here where I am...just outside of Rochdale...yesterday was the warmest it's ever been. Broke the local record. Somewhere down South it was just a few tenths of a degree short of breaking the all time record for the U.K as a whole.

Current temperature at the moment where I am is 21c . Positively fridged out there now compared to yesterday but in my house it's still like an oven...gonna take a few days for it to cool down in here :(

I have a laptop that dies a death when it gets too warm. That was the main reason I got a 4K gaming tower last year when it was hot. The laptop still works and is good for when I go away but if I tried to use it this last couple of days it would have had trouble.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval