Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16/S/+ Twin Internal Boosters MEGATHREAD

Reaction score
ST16/ST16S/ST16+

Twin Internal Boosters Megathread
2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz

Many told me it was "impossible" due to heat and space inside the ST16's. Well let me be the first person to tell you it IS possible :)
This thread will be a megathread for all questions, and at the bottom will also contain a FAQ Guide

Doing this on your TX will void your warranty
I AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT THE LEGALITY OF THIS. HERE IN THE USA IT is 100% LEGAL TO TRANSMIT 1.5W ON 5.8 AND 1W ON 2.4 WITHOUT A LICENCE. BOTH BOOSTERS ARE ALSO FCC APPROVED!!. HERE IN THE USA IT IS NOT ILLEGAL. GO READ THE FAQ AT THE BOTTOM TOO SEE MORE ABOUT POWER RULES HERE IN THE USA. NOT LOOKING TO ARGUE, ABOUT IF ITS LEGAL OR NOT.

=====================================================================================================================================================================================================

Why Twin Amps?

Amplifiers can be for much more than just increasing range.

This project was not about range too much although i did want more range in high interference areas. My Main reasons of utilizing amps
are to increase reliability, in case of a high interference spike, or having to flying around or behind a building, or even through dense vegetation
=====================================================================================================================================================================================================
The Problems with Typical Amplifier Setups

.Wiring up external power
.Extra battery weight
.Remote can sometimes come out "Ugly"?
.Choosing battery type/sizes/voltage
.Needing a specific "special" charger
.Forgetting to unplug amps
.Transmitter will not fit in cases
.Weight from boosters heatsinks
.Remembering to charge boosters battery
.Terrible range with boosters off
.Handling can become tedious
And more...

About the Build

This was absolutely a challenge. i have spent countless hours working on different prototypes, but in the end it all came together great.
***THIS CAN BE DONE WITH ABSOLUTELY NO MODIFICATION TO THE ST16***
***I JUST DECIDED TO MAKE A NEW SWITCH AND DRILL A FEW SMALLS HOLES. I WILL EXPLAIN THEM HERE, BUT THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED.

Starts off with off with a new wire routed to your selection of switch from the main power solder point from the battery, i decided to make a dedicated switch to turn on the boosters on my remote. this can be wired to the landing gear switch,
so when you take off with the legs down, boosters will be off. when you take off and retract the legs, the boosters will turn on. And on the way down for landing and put the legs down, the boosters will automatically turn off.
Can also be wired to the "AUX" button on the ST16. from there you are probably wondering How are you powering a booster with only the stock battery voltage?. The wire coming form the switch goes into a
3-5v Input to 12V Step up converter. From here the step up converter negative is wired directly to the negative solder point on the main board. From there the step up converter is wired directly to the 2 boosters. the boosters
draw a total of 0.96A at the step up converter, and 1.02A from the battery this results on 20-25% less battery life, that is why i added a switch, so its not needed all the time. Out of the boosters is sma coax to the stock antenna connectors.
ALTHOUGH you actually do not need the boosters on to get good range. the antenna connectors are wired in paralleled to the booster, and to the stock antenna connection on the motherboard . this mean that with the boosters off, your range will be the same as your stock remote.? most boosters setups lose this feature as the antenna essentially turns into the boosters input jack. i decided to add a few heat-sinks to the stock Cpu & Wifi heat spreader as seen in the pictures. i have noticed a 5 degree
reduction in temperature under load in a benchmark.... with no fans plugged in! ?. One of my biggest problems with this build was handling the heat from the boosters. the stock heat sinks were just a block of metal and were pretty heavy for there size.
From my technological knowledge, i know that is is VERY VERY inefficient, surface area is your friend in cooling, so i pull the boosters out of there stock casing and threw on some arctic MX4 Thermal paste with some heat sinks with GREAT thermal conductivity specs. this has worked on great. as seen in the pictures i still decided to add some fans, ONLY BECAUSE im paranoid ? .Temps were WELL within check (40c) while on for 1 hour straight with NO fans.
I can configure the output on these units, from 100mw-4W, i can already hear people saying "but power over (insert power number here) is illegal" to those people please kindly read the FAQ at the bottom ? noise on these amps i have measured VERY low at 0.8-1.1dB. Each booster had a LED's to show the status Transmitting (GREEN actively amplifying signal) and Standby. ( RED waiting for a signal at the input). although not needed if you dont want to drill some tiny holes in your ST16 i decided to do so, so i can see what the current status is, and make sure the booster is actively boosting the frequency. (see pictures)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Question:
Aren't you over the legal power limit?

Answer:
Boosters in the builds are configurable,
From 100mw-4W 2.4Ghz max is
1W. and 5.8Ghz is just under 1.6W
(IN THE USA)
so no, these can be configured to be
well within the legal limit.
Dont take my word for it ?
FCC Rules for Wireless Equipment operating in the ISM bands -www.afar.net
Question:
What video range do you get with this setup?

Answer:
i have been out 12778ft before the drone auto landed on the frozen lake,
about 8-10mph winds that day over the lake. Your battery life
will get better when its warmer, ambient was 33 Fahrenheit.
so range should be further. still had 2 out of 3 bars of 5.8ghz on the TX
on the stock Yuneec Patch antenna. the dome antenna i have been out
5000ft no problem with 1 bar of 5.8 connection, although this was over my local field
with many apartments around.
Question:
Would you be interested in installing this in my TX?

Answer:
visit the classified's post for more information

Pictures

IMG_20200306_163409.jpgIMG_20200306_163435.jpgIMG_20200306_163459.jpgIMG_20200306_163503.jpgIMG_20200306_163513.jpg

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, Please be sure to let me know!
???​

[/CENTER]

Last edited:
ST16/ST16S/ST16+

2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz

Many told me it was "impossible" due to heat and space inside the ST16's. Well let me be the first person to tell you it IS possible :)
This thread will be a megathread for all questions, and at the bottom will also contain a FAQ Guide

I AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT THE LEGALITY OF THIS. HERE IN THE USA IT is 100% LEGAL TO TRANSMIT 1.5W ON 5.8 AND 1W ON 2.4 WITHOUT A LICENCE. BOTH BOOSTERS ARE ALSO FCC APPROVED!!. HERE IN THE USA IT IS NOT ILLEGAL. GO READ THE FAQ AT THE BOTTOM TOO SEE MORE ABOUT POWER RULES HERE IN THE USA. NOT LOOKING TO ARGUE, ABOUT IF ITS LEGAL OR NOT.

Why Twin Amps?

This project was not about range too much although i did want more range in high interference areas. My Main reasons of utilizing amps
are to increase reliability, in case of a high interference spike, or having to flying around or behind a building, or even through dense vegetation

.Extra battery weight
And more...

About the Build

This was absolutely a challenge. i have spent countless hours working on different prototypes, but in the end it all came together great.
***I JUST DECIDED TO MAKE A NEW SWITCH AND DRILL A FEW SMALLS HOLES. I WILL EXPLAIN THEM HERE, BUT THEY ARE NOT REQUIRED.

Starts off with off with a new wire routed to your selection of switch from the main power solder point from the battery, i decided to make a dedicated switch to turn on the boosters on my remote. this can be wired to the landing gear switch,
so when you take off with the legs down, boosters will be off. when you take off and retract the legs, the boosters will turn on. And on the way down for landing and put the legs down, the boosters will automatically turn off.
Can also be wired to the "AUX" button on the ST16. from there you are probably wondering How are you powering a booster with only the stock battery voltage?. The wire coming form the switch goes into a
3-5v Input to 12V Step up converter. From here the step up converter negative is wired directly to the negative solder point on the main board. From there the step up converter is wired directly to the 2 boosters. the boosters
draw a total of 0.96A at the step up converter, and 1.02A from the battery this results on 20-25% less battery life, that is why i added a switch, so its not needed all the time. Out of the boosters is sma coax to the stock antenna connectors.
ALTHOUGH you actually do not need the boosters on to get good range. the antenna connectors are wired in paralleled to the booster, and to the stock antenna connection on the motherboard . this mean that with the boosters off, your range will be the same as your stock remote.? most boosters setups lose this feature as the antenna essentially turns into the boosters input jack. i decided to add a few heat-sinks to the stock Cpu & Wifi heat spreader as seen in the pictures. i have noticed a 5 degree
reduction in temperature under load in a benchmark.... with no fans plugged in! ?. One of my biggest problems with this build was handling the heat from the boosters. the stock heat sinks were just a block of metal and were pretty heavy for there size.
From my technological knowledge, i know that is is VERY VERY inefficient, surface area is your friend in cooling, so i pull the boosters out of there stock casing and threw on some arctic MX4 Thermal paste with some heat sinks with GREAT thermal conductivity specs. this has worked on great. as seen in the pictures i still decided to add some fans, ONLY BECAUSE im paranoid ? .Temps were WELL within check (40c) while on for 1 hour straight with NO fans.
I can configure the output on these units, from 100mw-4W, i can already hear people saying "but power over (insert power number here) is illegal" to those people please kindly read the FAQ at the bottom ? noise on these amps i have measured VERY low at 0.8-1.1dB. Each booster had a LED's to show the status Transmitting (GREEN actively amplifying signal) and Standby. ( RED waiting for a signal at the input). although not needed if you dont want to drill some tiny holes in your ST16 i decided to do so, so i can see what the current status is, and make sure the booster is actively boosting the frequency. (see pictures)

Question:

Answer:
(IN THE USA)
Question:

Answer:
5000ft no problem with 1 bar of 5.8 connection, although this was over my local field
Question:

Answer:

Pictures

Coming in 1 hour!

???​

[/CENTER]

Wow
I love it. YOU HAVE PUT
Lots of time and effort
Into this project.
I would love to see real results, in other words
Fly it it.
Keith K

Wow
I love it. YOU HAVE PUT
Lots of time and effort
Into this project.
I would love to see real results, in other words
Fly it it.
Keith K

I can't wait to see other comments from other people. I want people to
Buy it and try it.
Keith K

Wow. This should set my mind at rest over losing the video feed. I only lost the video feed once and the H+. It was very much still in my line of site. This annoyed me bigtime as I felt if I lost the video feed it is I feel very possible that I could lose the main 2.8 feed as well :mad:
will yow be providing this service for overseas customers or will you offer it as a kit?
Regards.
Mike

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Wow. This should set my mind at rest over losing the video feed. I only lost the video feed once and the H+. It was very much still in my line of site. This annoyed me bigtime as I felt if I lost the video feed it is I feel very possible that I could lose the main 2.8 feed as well :mad:
will yow be providing this service for overseas customers or will you offer it as a kit?
Regards.
Mike
I can't wait to see other comments from other people. I want people to
Buy it and try it.
Keith K
Thank you both ?
heres some pictures.

Please see My classifieds post for more info if your interested in my installing the kit.
here: ST16/S/+ Twin Internal Boosters Service
IMG_20200306_163409.jpgIMG_20200306_163435.jpgIMG_20200306_163459.jpgIMG_20200306_163503.jpgIMG_20200306_163513.jpg

Reactions: Mike Irish
I like it. Very neat work indeed.
Mike

Reactions: SilentR9
How would you fit a TBS Crossfire long range tx to the ST16
At the moment i have it on my JR8ch for my Rave9 gasser heli

Than

Thanks
Hard to tell on my phone
With small image.
Keith K
ST16/ST16S/ST16+
Nic
2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz

Why Twin Amps?

.Extra battery weight
And more...

About the Build

Question:

Answer:
(IN THE USA)
Question:

Answer:
Question:

Answer:

Pictures

View attachment 20583View attachment 20584View attachment 20585View attachment 20586View attachment 20587

???​

[/CENTER]
ST16/ST16S/ST16+

2.4Ghz & 5.8Ghz

Why Twin Amps?

.Extra battery weight
And more...

About the Build

Question:

Answer:
(IN THE USA)
Question:

Answer:
Question:

Answer:

Pictures

View attachment 20583View attachment 20584View attachment 20585View attachment 20586View attachment 20587

???​

[/CENTER]
Well done a very nice Job!
Two questions:
1) Why the video directional antenna is not in the center?
2) Does your change work on Ce ground stations with EU firmware?
Max

Well done a very nice Job!
Two questions:
1) Why the video directional antenna is not in the center?
2) Does your change work on Ce ground stations with EU firmware?
Max
I think you'll find it's US only. It's in the FAQ.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22