Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Swollen Battery

Reaction score
Hello all.
Have a concern, Today while getting ready to fly I notice one of my power 4 batterys to my Typhoon H was puffy on the sides, wondering if anyone knows why and is it a problem. Please let me know.

Hello all.
Have a concern, Today while getting ready to fly I notice one of my power 4 batterys to my Typhoon H was puffy on the sides, wondering if anyone knows why and is it a problem. Please let me know.

Your Electrolyte has started breaking down causing excess oxygen, thus the swelling, this excess oxygen fuels fire and explosions, DO NOT USE!

Reactions: Gdmoe
Your Electrolyte has started breaking down causing excess oxygen, thus the swelling, this excess oxygen fuels fire and explosions, DO NOT USE!
Wow! ...
Thank You, I will not be using that battery.

As BoomBoom says. Sling it.
A swollen battery can be very unpredictable. Some people carry on using them and sometimes they continue just fine. But this is a gamble: Since they are unpredictable, they can drain suddenly causing your aircraft to drop from the sky...this happens without any warning (apart from the swelling already observed), and at worst they can catch fire. A new battery, or a new house...your choice.

As BoomBoom says. Sling it.
A swollen battery can be very unpredictable. Some people carry on using them and sometimes they continue just fine. But this is a gamble: Since they are unpredictable, they can drain suddenly causing your aircraft to drop from the sky...this happens without any warning (apart from the swelling already observed), and at worst they can catch fire. A new battery, or a new house...your choice.
I am sling the Battery ...
I have a house full of Oxygen bottles. That would be Devastating. So new battery ... Thanks!

Do not simply throw it out... to safely dispose of it, you need to drain the battery voltage to 0.0 Volts. To do this, just put the battery in a small bucket of salt water... 1 cup salt to 1 gallon of water. Leave submerged for about 3 days... take out and rinse off corrosion at the terminals of the battery, pat dry, and check with a volt meter. If not at 0.0 V put back in bucket for another day. Once at 0.0 V, you can simply throw out in the trash.

You can just make out the swollen inlay ...

Attachments

• 15177622673641584617198.jpg
    15177622673641584617198.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 176
Do not simply throw it out... to safely dispose of it, you need to drain the battery voltage to 0.0 Volts. To do this, just put the battery in a small bucket of salt water... 1 cup salt to 1 gallon of water. Leave submerged for about 3 days... take out and rinse off corrosion at the terminals of the battery, pat dry, and check with a volt meter. If not at 0.0 V put back in bucket for another day. Once at 0.0 V, you can simply throw out in the trash.
I would never have just thrown in trash ..
I am discharging now with a parasitic Draw ...
It will be dead in about 12 hours ...

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Glad to hear you are familiar with the process... I would have not known what to do with it, if not for the fine folks on this board. :)

You can just make out the swollen inlay ...

Whew! Top (and assuming bottom) showing some deformation, not the hard plastic sides.

Several months ago, a similar conversation was taking place. The level of swell a bit more than this. I have a couple “great performing” batteries in similar condition. Seems more like the label plates have expanded and contracted due to heating and cooling, for mine anyway.

Curious how your flight times were for this battery?

Not saying anything contrary, whatsoever, to your decision to discard.

Jeff

Whew! Top (and assuming bottom) showing some deformation, not the hard plastic sides.

Several months ago, a similar conversation was taking place. The level of swell a bit more than this. I have a couple “great performing” batteries in similar condition. Seems more like the label plates have expanded and contracted due to heating and cooling, for mine anyway.

Curious how your flight times were for this battery?

Not saying anything contrary, whatsoever, to your decision to discard.

Jeff
Hey jeff.
This battery has never been used. Has never been in my craft,
I have two other batterys and my flight times are usually less than 20 mins at a time so this battery was a back up battery ... And yes on the top and bottom are both puffy and the feel is like there is air or gas behind covers ...
I would rather be safe than sorry.

Hey jeff.
This battery has never been used. Has never been in my craft,
I have two other batterys and my flight times are usually less than 20 mins at a time so this battery was a back up battery ... And yes on the top and bottom are both puffy and the feel is like there is air or gas behind covers ...
I would rather be safe than sorry.

Definitely your call.

More reading on the topic, including some additional “expert” opinion. (Quotes are acknowledgement, not mocking!)

Level of puff

Eagle is, of course, correct. When I said 'sling it' I should have been more specific on the actions one should take in slinging it. Fully discharge the battery is the neighborly thing to do. Also, avoid putting it into the normal garbage if you can. My local waste/recycling plant has a bay for discarding batteries...usually for car batteries, but a discharged lipo would be good to go in it.

Eagle is, of course, correct. When I said 'sling it' I should have been more specific on the actions one should take in slinging it. Fully discharge the battery is the neighborly thing to do. Also, avoid putting it into the normal garbage if you can. My local waste/recycling plant has a bay for discarding batteries...usually for car batteries, but a discharged lipo would be good to go in it.

Get a real charger and the new 7100mah Venom battery. Get one of their chargers and you will know where your battery is so you do not damage it and can charge properly for storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vbd777