Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Taking flight all on its own

If this were my craft, I’d have it tethered so it cannot fly away. I would also use a battery that is just about empty, flight-wise, so if it does “go for a ride” it would not be leaving on a full charge!

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

P.s. I still recommend contacting Yuneec first before anything. You have a second H520 for a reason, correct? Is redundancy one reason?

Last edited:
My first idea is to calibrate the accelerator. I do not know if this is possible at H520 similar to Typhoon H.
If you want, send us the *.TLOG files from ST16S from the time interval in question (your tests).

br HE

Engine tests are designed only to determine if the engine rotates, runs, and does so in the right direction. For nothing else. Running a motor without load, the propellers provide it, which has been designed to work to do it with load can only have one consequence, burning the engine by over-speeding. But this has always been the case with any type of motor, not just drones.

For load testing, with the propellers in place, test benches are used that are prepared for it and it is done with a propeller in place. In these test benches, which we have cheap and available for anyone, different types of propellers, different pich, etc. are tested. An example:

Turnigy Thrust Stand and Power Analyser v3

Last edited:
If this were my craft, I’d have it tethered so it cannot flyaway. I would also use a battery that is just about empty, flight-wise, so if it does “go for a ride” it would not be leaving on a full charge!

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

P.s. I still recommend contacting Yuneec first before anything. You have a second H520 for a reason, correct? Is redundancy one reason?

Just verified this bird is still under the Silver maintenance contract from Yuneec.
So it is going to them for a check.

Sending it in means we may never know why it’s engaging full throttle on its own.
The problem solving in me wants to test it before boxing it up.
But no way do I chance it now.
Once I get the service report I will post what they say.
I Thank everyone for chiming in.

Just verified this bird is still under the Silver maintenance contract from Yuneec.
So it is going to them for a check.

Sending it in means we may never know why it’s engaging full throttle on its own.
The problem solving in me wants to test it before boxing it up.
But no way do I chance it now.
Once I get the service report I will post what they say.
I Thank everyone for chiming in.

You are most welcome, even though things are still not right with it.

I would suggest posting the tlog files as suggested by h-elsner. He has a program he developed called q500log2kml that has been great for analyzing Yuneec aircraft telemetry. His latest version has incorporated reading the tlog files from the H520 and may give a clue as to what is going on with the troublesome aircraft.

You can gather them from the ST-16S and zip them and post to this thread using the Attach files button just left of the Pist Reply button.

Attached are the log files from "Flight Review"
I could not pinpoint which log had the last incident so I loaded the 2 logs from that day.
Although some of the data is understandable to me; I cannot make heads or tails what it means?
What I could see was a large boost of acceleration and yaw energy in one log which I will assume is when it wanted to leave planet earth.....lol.

Attachments

• Log Files.zip
    260 KB · Views: 5
Attached are the log files from "Flight Review"
I could not pinpoint which log had the last incident so I loaded the 2 logs from that day.
Although some of the data is understandable to me; I cannot make heads or tails what it means?
What I could see was a large boost of acceleration and yaw energy in one log which I will assume is when it wanted to leave planet earth.....lol.

These logs are from the drone using "QGroundControl". Not from the ST16

pjlavell, when you go test it in that open field, I suggest you tie a long light but strong rope to it so it can fly around but will be tethered if it decides to take off.

I have 2 H520 drones for almost 1 year with about 30-40 hrs. of flight time on each vehicle.
Periodically, I will run a simple start test in my shop, (in ANGLE Mode) and test the motors after maintenance etc. etc.
After 10 seconds the birds normally shut down as it completes the cycle, (unless the controls are manipulated).
I have done this periodically since owning them.

Keep in mind it is a shop with tools and tables set up for working and tinkering.

Now one, (just one) of my birds wants to launch without any touching of the controls, (yes software is up to date).
It has done this 6 times.

The first incident occurred where I happened to be right next to the bird and caught one of landing gears before it was going to go straight through the roof..
Tried to shut it down with the RED controller button and hitting the power button on the bird to no avail.
With blades going crazy and trying like **** not to rip my arms apart I pulled the battery out.

The other 5 times it has done this I am ready with PPE on my arms, (after trouble shooting controller, calibrating bird outside, etc.).
All 6 times I have managed to pull the battery and not get injured
I have 2 controllers and it does it on both, (controller calibration has been checked on both)
My other H520 does not have this problem and never has with either controller.
This leads me to believe there is something more serious going on with the internal electronics?
Is there any advise I can attempt before I deal with Yuneec?
Thanks
Try the advanced menu you can achieve entry into the advanced menu by tapping rapidly on the menu icon until a screen pops up that will ask you do you want to proceed into the advanced menu in this menu you will find more calibrations to perform than the regular menu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio