Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tips to maintain line of site

Reaction score
Before I sent my H back for compass errors, I was doing some distance testing. I would loose video and telemetry around 3000 to 3200 feet. At 3500 feet RTH was auto activated. Not bad for stock antennas.
My real problem was seeing the H with out the help of my P610 60x zoom lens.
If there were some nice white clouds behind it, you could clearly see a black dot. If I was in front of some darker sky forget it. I have RED flytron strobe on the rear of the landing gear that helps some. Trying to remember what tree, phone pole, or other land mark I am above helps, but very easy to totally loose site at those distances.
What do you guys do to help locate your H when at extreme distances.

Before I sent my H back for compass errors, I was doing some distance testing. I would loose video and telemetry around 3000 to 3200 feet. At 3500 feet RTH was auto activated. Not bad for stock antennas.
If there were some nice white clouds behind it, you could clearly see a black dot. If I was in front of some darker sky forget it. I have RED flytron strobe on the rear of the landing gear that helps some. Trying to remember what tree, phone pole, or other land mark I am above helps, but very easy to totally loose site at those distances.
I use too to test capabilities, And not to fly at extreme distances. And not out of line of sight, Now that "I" am a licensed pilot! LOL ! Seriously though!;)

Last edited:
I can see guys doing mapping work, or field inspections being way out there. But really!!!! I know my eyes are old, but eyes of a hawk I never had.

Yep. The GPS co-ords are shown on the ST-16 screen. Would be great if you could switch the screen back and forth to a GPS overlay on a Google map (Similar to your vehicle GPS).

Reactions: Brian Mackey
not sure the H is a mapping machine with short flight times -- could be wrong
It flies about the same as a P4, and with new mapping programs, you can pick up where you left off in autopilot while swapping batteries! Plus, if the "Flir" gets it butt out, It will work great on the H, But yes, for $10-20K you can get a better sUAS or even better a ebee with 45 minutes flight time!;)

Reactions: Brian Mackey

If it's over 500 feet away I don't even try to keep my eye on it.
It is within VLOS range, don't mean I'm going to watch a dot in the sky.
What's the point, you should be at a high enough altitude if you that far
away as not to hit anything.

The screen gives me more accurate info like video and telemetry on what's happening.

If I am flying low altitude then I keep it a lot closer and keep VLOS on it.

I am use to my little white Phantoms, you loose them real fast after a few hundred feet.

So at extreme distances I rely solely on the ST16.

If it's over 500 feet away I don't even try to keep my eye on it.
It is within VLOS range, don't mean I'm going to watch a dot in the sky.
What's the point, you should be at a high enough altitude if you that far
away as not to hit anything.

The screen gives me more accurate info like video and telemetry on what's happening.

If I am flying low altitude then I keep it a lot closer and keep VLOS on it.

I am use to my little white Phantoms, you loose them real fast after a few hundred feet.

So at extreme distances I rely solely on the ST16.
Hit anything?But a manned aircraft, blimp or balloon that you don't see because with FPV you can only see 30 degrees left/right and nothing below or above! Hmmnn !:confused:

Reactions: Wileytrigger21
Hit anything?But a manned aircraft, blimp or balloon that you don't see because with FPV you can only see 30 degrees left/right and nothing below or above! Hmmnn !:confused:

We fly differently DC.

I never said I don't periodically scan the skies for something that might be in my air space.
If your over five hundred feet away can you really tell what direction your moving in? I can't, you rely on your instrumentation.

I can maintain better control from the screen alone.

What about a pilot flying instrumentation only because he has zero visibility and no radar like my Cessna 152.

Reactions: Rayray
We fly differently DC.

I never said I don't periodically scan the skies for something that might be in my air space.
If your over five hundred feet away can you really tell what direction your moving in? I can't, you rely on your instrumentation.

I can maintain better control from the screen alone.

What about a pilot flying instrumentation only because he has zero visibility and no radar like my Cessna 152.
Because he legally can, but we can't! It's all about "Rules" and "Regulations" Some follow them, some don't. But Jimmie, it all your choice ! At 500 feet I can tell exactly which way my bird is flying by LOS. Have fun and fly safe!;)

Because he legally can, but we can't! It's all about "Rules" and "Regulations" Some follow them, some don't. But Jimmie, it all your choice ! At 500 feet I can tell exactly which way my bird is flying by LOS. Have fun and fly safe!;)

Well DC I was going to let you have the last word so this would end but.

You have said in the past you have flown out several thousand feet so we don't always follow the rules all the time.
Were you in complete vlos control even if you claim you could see a dot in the sky?

Common sense my friend. ;)

Well DC I was going to let you have the last word so this would end but.

You have said in the past you have flown out several thousand feet so we don't always follow the rules all the time.
Were you in complete vlos control even if you claim you could see a dot in the sky?

Common sense my friend. ;)
I have had a 333 for over a year, having a 333 and now 107, with those and LOS Waiver, Yes my friend, I have flown out of LOS,"Legally" and so can you! but from your own words you fly as a hobbyist, which thus makes it a violation of FAA Regulations ! Promise, These are my last words, Fly Safely My Friend!;)

I've been using this method or similar for 37 years.Still stuck on old ways, but it works. Have yet to use Smart Mode.

Glider,
I use that technique as well.
I was more thinking about when you glance down at the screen, and the back at the sky, and OH Crap #$%#$%
Where did I park it.

Glider,
I use that technique as well.
I was more thinking about when you glance down at the screen, and the back at the sky, and OH Crap #$%#$%
Where did I park it.
Hey Bob. This happened to me just yesterday. I was in my vineyards to do some flying, filming, and tests. In this particular case I was standing on a hill letting the TH fly away from me while slightly decending (the vineyards are on very steep terrain). About 1200m out I lost sight of my vehicle. Even with my two Strobon strobes flashing away I could not see it as the sun was to my back and therefore shining bright (morning) sun on the craft.

It's a weird feeling because you have to depend on what you're seeing on the ST16 display and telemetry. Because I still DO NOT trust this machine, of course it's natural to start shi**ing bricks, as we say. For some reason at this moment some memories from the 80's flashed in my head, mostly of instrument training in a Cessna P210 which didn't fare well for me. But I digress.

When you've taken your aircraft beyond LOS, all you have left is your video downlink and telemetry. Assuming this doesn't fail, then here is where the rubber hits the road with your orientation-related flying skills. When all else fails, hit the throttle and increase altitude just to be safe. If you still can't orient yourself, then it's time to "eject" and hit RTH. Hopefully it will work!:eek:

Last edited:
OMG John,
That is pretty much what I do. I usually do not loose track of orientation, the green arrow helps with that. But several times while being out towards a distant tree line, look down to check the image, look up, and ****, it's GONE!!! Thank goodness for RTH.
Guess I need to find a brighter strobe.

OMG John,
That is pretty much what I do. I usually do not loose track of orientation, the green arrow helps with that. But several times while being out towards a distant tree line, look down to check the image, look up, and ****, it's GONE!!! Thank goodness for RTH.
Understood. I hate that feeling: Look up, you sorta see the vehicle 1500m away...look down at the ST16 then look back up....gone!
Guess I need to find a brighter strobe.
Well yes and no. I agree that a brighter strobe (and they do exist) would be much better for LOS tracking, but of course it's terrible for shooting video or taking photos as the strobing light is bound to interfere. On my homebuilds I was able to wire in the strobes directly to my Rx and control (On/Off) from my Taranis Tx. This is not possible (yet) from the St16 so folks like you and me continue to suffer.;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval