Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon battery help

Reaction score
I have a Typhoon H and stored the LiPo batteries for a long time. Several months, indoors at room temperature. I fully charged the batteries before storage (which I now know is incorrect) Before flight, I recharged the batteries, the flights would only last about 5 minutes before i was getting warnings for "Low Battery" Should I discharge the batteries and recharge? Or have I ruined them by storing them fully charged?

Are you using the OEM charger or do you have a third party charger you can use to measure the internal resistance of the cells?

My guess is that you have serious damage to the batteries and they can be used for ground functions if they are not swelling.

You can try charging them and hovering the TH until you get to 14.6 volts then land. After several cycles they might recoup a little flight time, but likely not much. Time to start searching for batteries.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I have a Typhoon H and stored the LiPo batteries for a long time. Several months, indoors at room temperature. I fully charged the batteries before storage (which I now know is incorrect) Before flight, I recharged the batteries, the flights would only last about 5 minutes before i was getting warnings for "Low Battery" Should I discharge the batteries and recharge? Or have I ruined them by storing them fully charged?
It is kinda hard to say at this point without more information. If the sides are not swollen, you may be OK. Try to cycle the batteries a few times and keep a record of what the voltage is at to start with using a volt meter, record how long it will run, then record the voltage when it will no longer run. Do this quite a few times and see if you notice any increase in them. I am the worst yet have only had one battery fail in 3 years of never discharging and mostly letting them sit for months on end and we have a short flying season in Canada. The battery that did fail was my Yuneec branded one, all others are solid still. I do know that with the lack of available replacement batteries, it would be wise to look after them. I will be looking at rebuilding all of mine in the near future though.

IR will reveal their condition, you really need to get a 3rd party charger, if you don't already have one. You need to know their condition better to avert a potential disaster if the battery causes the copter to crash.

Unfortunately no, but I have seen a few videos of rebuilds that looked interesting. A few require a new battery tray to be 3D printed
There are some threads on here where guys have dismantled original shell and placed a battery inside.

I had some Gifi Breeze batteries I did that to before I knew better, however I was able to salvage them so there might be a chance. On the other hand I've had some cheap Lipos that were stored correctly at 50% but just gave up after a year. No life expectancy at all. They would charge, no swelling, seemed OK until load was applied, then dead.

The way forward is the adapter, you can then swap batteries with ease, and usually a better supply. I wouldn't use the GPS tower but get the better one, but the battery alternatives are better.

The way forward is the adapter, you can then swap batteries with ease, and usually a better supply. I wouldn't use the GPS tower but get the better one, but the battery alternatives are better.

I watched his video when he first made them, then also saw he was selling them. I have access to an Institutional 3D printer, so I may make my own and see what I like.

This also happened to me. Now I'm having trouble finding batteries for the H. Go figure

Problem is there are a few still around, but you don't know their history,and there old anyway, how they've been stored, used etc, eBay sellers can't always be trusted to be selling as new, with the eBay classification of "New Other". Well it's either new or not, the best gamble if you don't have many batteries is to look elsewhere other than the original shell battery, and probably a new battery too, than the older dedicated H battery.

I just bought a supposedly new Yuneec battery from eBay one of the cells would not charge (all cells were at storage voltage) I don't even think that matters long term storage is bad at any voltage. I had to return it for a refund. The problem is you do not know how long they have been sitting around. 139.99 or 149.99 Us dollars is way overpriced for that battery. A smart battery I could see. The Typhoon H batteries do not last long.

Reactions: Mike Irish
If you get a Power 4 battery and the label under release tab starts out as B####2016…, it was built in 2016 and is now 3 to 4 years old. There was another batch that have B####2018… and were built in 2018. As I recall it would have been later in the year and first appeared in the EU market.

We've had this discussion before, the date is probably assembly date, how long the cells were constructed is anyone's guess, the H pro models here did have 2017 battery assembly dates too, but are getting long in the tooth too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy