Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H480 falls from the sky...?

Reaction score
I have had my TH for 9 months, purchased 2nd hand in very good condition very little flight time and all in all performed very well. As I got to know it and became familar all it's capabilities I took to my local sports oval and ran through the various flight modes, journry mode, point of interest etc. Eventually I had completed them all and felt confident will all modes of flying. I had one small issue with the camera settings (wouldn't stay locked on Burst) Yuneec advised to update to the the latest software versions which I sucessfully did with the assistance of this fine forum and some Youtube videos. The camera still wont lock on Burst but hey no big deal I've moved on now. Since the update I've test flown to check all functions operating normally, all OK. I've flown a number of photographic missions in the last couple of months (30-40 mins maybe) all without incident.
Today I went to my local oval to fly Cable Curve and practice operating the video camera as the drone followed the selected route. I flew a few laps of the oval climbing, descending, yawing etc all perfectly normal and then set the route for the CCC. I intiated the flight to travel from point 1 to point 5 and the TH took off as expected I had the forward speed set at about 3/4 and proceeded to manipulate the camera, it didn't respond I couldn't pan or tilt the camera. When the route was complete I intiated the CCC in reverse, the first section of the route was a climb as it traversed the oval to the next way point. As the TH leveled out from the climb the forward speed seemed to increase for a second before the craft just fell out of the sky.
The result is quite catastrophic as you can imagine. Two props and arms, one undercarriage leg and the camera and mount are in pieces. Battery power was OK at 15.2 (volt meter 14.8 telemetry) so I'm at a loss to understand what went wrong. I've attached the datafile so if anyone can fathom it out I would very much appreciate your help.

Sorry to hear of your mishap
Many times the damage looks worse than it is. I would suggest posting your telemetry here. There are a few real experts that will determine the cause for you
Good luck

Please send the Remote, RemoteGPS and Telemetry CSV files (unchanged) as zip file. ZIP files can be attached here. PDF file is too hard to analyze, not a readable format for tools.
If you think it makes sense you can add the CCC file too.

br HE

Reactions: DoomMeister
Thank you biltno and h-elsner I've taken your advise and attached 2 Zip files with the telemetry data. Appreciate any input with regard to this failure.

Attachments

• Telemetry_00124.csv.zip
    208.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Telemetry_00123.csv.zip
    496.7 KB · Views: 2
  • RemoteGPS_00124.csv.zip
    4 KB · Views: 4
  • Remote_00124.csv.zip
    24.3 KB · Views: 1
Sorry for late answer. Unfortunately the FlightLog *00124 ends abrupt with no reason during the CCC flight in 18m height with 4,7m/s speed.
This looks like a total power loss or processor shut-down.
There are no pre-indications or possible reason visible in the files. GPS is good, voltage is good, RC connection is good, no error flags.

At the end of telemetry recording the copter was tilted backwards although no input from the pitch/ele-stick. If battery was not fully latched, it could be fallen out by accident.
ScreenshotSchnellanalyse_1.png

Telemetry00023 seems to be encrypted. I cannot read it.

br HE

Last edited:
Thank you @h-elsner for your reply. The battery was definitely locked in place after impact, this of course doesn't completely rule out the battery not being unlatched as it could have locked back on impact. A processor shut-down? I have no way of checking this until I finish the rebuild so will reply once this is completed.
Getting hold of parts has been a real challenge. Living in Australia I am having to source parts from the US and EU to get everything I need. We have no dealers here who carry parts.

Thank you @h-elsner for your reply. The battery was definitely locked in place after impact, this of course doesn't completely rule out the battery not being unlatched as it could have locked back on impact. A processor shut-down? I have no way of checking this until I finish the rebuild so will reply once this is completed.
Getting hold of parts has been a real challenge. Living in Australia I am having to source parts from the US and EU to get everything I need. We have no dealers here who carry parts.

Have you tried Mountain View Enterprises

Hopefully @Haydn is still in business!

Am Sorry for your lost. Every time I read stories like this, makes me worry when I put mine in the sky. I trust my second drone, Autel Evo, and fly it with confident. Very stable quad copter.

I have checked out Mountain View, they appear to concentrate on the H Plus and the 520 their website does not indicate any spares are available. The business seems to be primarily focussed on the land/farming. I should have the necessary parts here by the end of the month.
I have most parts available.
Just call me on 0410584575 if you need any help

An update: I have completed the rebuild of the H without any issues, I'm still waiting on parts for the camera. I completed compass calibration and test flights yesterday putting the craft through it's full range of flight modes without any problems. This leads me suspect the original crash was due to the battery not being locked fully. Expensive rookie error! Hoping to do some more flights in the next couple of days and rebuild my confidence in my Typhoon.

Reactions: AH-1G
...This leads me suspect the original crash was due to the battery not being locked fully. Expensive rookie error! ...
You aren't the first to make this error and won't be the last. Indeed, this is an error committed by some with more experience...but some won't admit the error blaming the TH and not pilot error. Good luck to you :)

Reactions: Deaks100

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis