Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

[UPDATE v0.930] PLAN to RPS converter for H480 (survey missions)

Reaction score
This post will be updated regularly.
PLAN2 version 0.930 is released (11th June 2020)

IMPORTANT: All pilots, do not fly your H480 in Waypoint mode, it's not approved by Yuneec, not safe, not tested enough.

Duplicate genuine model H920 in Model Select menu, rename for something like H-Waypoints if you want and select this model(this will unbind any binded AC).

Screenshot_2020-05-09-00-11-20.png

Put your H480 into binding mode and bind as you always do under System settings / Bind menu.
From now you have hidden Waypoint mode.

Screenshot_2020-05-09-00-14-16.png

People will talk about safety now. I'll tell them again: H480 and H920 got the same flight controller. Flying H480 binded as H920 is the same safety level. Period.

Survey Mode
Mission Start TAB
full

Survey TAB
full

Camera Settings for CGO3+:

Sensor Width: 5.60mm
Sensor Height: 4.20mm
Image: W: 4000px, H: 3000px
Focal lenght: 2.8mm

Front lap: fixed by Timelapse, can be increased by lower flight speed.
Side lap: >70% for 2D maps, >85% for 3D models

Angle: Set for best/fastest route
Rotate entry point to fit your needs and conditions

Images in turnarounds have to be turned on for better Statistics

Statistics will tell you how much pictures you need and estimate survey area.

Install information
Installation is easy, just extract *.zip file to any directory.
Do not use this directory for *.plan, *.rps or *.kml files.

Good directory example:
Install example driectory: C:\Yuneec\PLANtoRPS
Input/output files directory: C:\Yuneec\Missions or any directory outside app dir.

Bad directory example (files will be sent to '%localappdata%/PLANtoRPS/' directory):
Install example driectory: C:\Yuneec\PLANtoRPS
Input/output files directory: C:\Yuneec\PLANtoRPS\Missions

Survey mode
full

POI mode
full

Hover time feature issue
If you want to use hover feature you have to set Planned Home as FIRST waypoint, otherwise mission won't start and you will get "Execute Error" message.

Camera Tilt issue
Camera tilt during POI mode is set to MANUAL, you have to set tilt manually and you can adjust tilt during POI mission.

For now my advice is to read Yuneec's H920 User Manual
Waypoint App Tutorial is from page 21 to page 29
https://us.yuneec.com/files/downloads/h920/H920_Plus_User_Manual_V3.0.pdf

Soon i'll update simple tutorial on how to use Waypoint App with H480.
Most of features are disabled or limited for H480.

Limits for H480 in Waypoint mode:
Max. speed: 5 m/s
Max. number of waypoints: 99 (to be confirmed)
Max. mission distance: 5000m (16 400ft) - to execute big missions use SPLIT feature (PLANtoRPS)

Panic/failsafe: flick S4 switch (from Angle to Smart to Angle) and you will gain full control of the aircraft immidiately.

Min. voltage: 14.3V (first warning) - after first battery warning mission is canceled and you gain full control of the aircraft (it will lower altitude to 60 meters as always)

GPS lost during mission: mission will be canceled and aircraft will switch to Angle mode, you gain control of the aircraft and "GPS Error" warning will pop up.

Waypoint Mode: Status Led will blink slowly between GREEN and PURPLE during mission.
Execute Error: Status Led will blink fast BLUE (aircraft reconnect with ST16).

Mission files location on ST16:
'Internal storage/routes/'

Two ST16's: You can use second ST16 for camera preview, manual camera settings (iso,shutter,white balance), you can switch between photo/video, you can format SD card, you can start and stop timelapse, camera tilt and pan is still under main station control. Do not use Team mode, both ST16 in Single Mode, just connect(bind) second ST16 to camera only.

Yuneec DataPilot Mission Planner:
1. Select Survey Mode
2. Set Altitude and Speed (Mission Start Tab).
3. Set Planned Home if you want to use it as a first and/or last waypoint.
4. Click on map to create polygon and mark the area of survey.
5. Go to Survey Tab and select CUSTOM CAMERA, enter all data as follows:

• Sensor Width: 5.60mm
  • Sensor Height: 4.20mm
  • Image: W: 4000px, H: 3000px
  • Focal lenght: 2.8mm
6. Go to Survey Tab and set Angle for best flight path, set Turnaround Dist. to 0 and play with Side Lap for more/less ground resolution.
Front lap is defined by timelapse speed so we can change it only by slowing down or speeding up whole flight.
7. Save *.plan file.

SURVEY_DATAPILOT1.jpg

SURVEY_DATAPILOT2.jpg

PLAN2 converter:
1. Select Survey Mode and load your *.plan file
2. Save KML file. (for Google)
3. Save RPS file. (for H480)

SURVEY_PLAN2_realtime_4_34.jpg

Google Earth:
1. Review your KML file in Google Earth. Check consistency and make sure it's safe, as you planned.

SURVEY_KML.jpg

Waypoint App:
1. Copy your *.rps file to ST16/routes/ folder.
2. Switch to waypoint mode and load your mission. Check all parameters match planned mission data (altitude, speed etc.). Mission is ready to fly.

Ready to fly:
1. Power on ST16 and H480. Do your safety check list before setting props.
2. Set RTH altitude same as mission altitude (failsafe).
3. Set camera for Timelapse mode.
4. Gimbal control switch S1 middle (-) position and switch S2 middle (-) position.
5. Make sure you have good GPS signal on both ST16 and H480.
6. Go to Camera/Task and switch to Waypoint App.

7. Takeoff manually or use left menu button to take off.
8. Climb up to safe altitude.
9. Set gimbal to -90 pitch before you start mission (look at the ground).
10. Start the mission.
11. Before aircraft reach first waypoint you should press Photo Button to start Timelapse.

(You will get info about Picture Taken but don't worry, that means Timelapse is running, you can't turn it off until you switch off Waypoint mode.)

screenshot_2020-05-22-17-13-07-png.22013

screenshot_2020-05-22-17-14-40-png.22014

1. Select ROI from left menu
2. Choose your point of interest
3. Set Planned home point.
4. Save *.plan file.

poi_test1_datapilot.jpg

PLAN2 converter:
1. Select POI MODE and load your *.plan file
2. Set all parameters.
3. Export KML file
4. Export RPS file.

POI_TEST1.jpg

Google Earth Web:
1. Review your KML file in Google Earth Web, make sure it's safe and all data is correct.

POI_TEST1_KML.jpg

H480 Waypoint App:
1. Copy *.rps file on /ST16/routes/ folder and load it into Waypoint App.
Ready to fly.

Screenshot_2020-05-21-15-39-41.png

Notice Waypoint 20 is faceing North instead of POI, this is Waypoint App bug, data is good, camera will face East (POI) but visual representation of this waypoint will be North. This has no affect on how the aircraft and camera will behave. It always happens for East and West waypoints, do not worry, just ignore.

After loading *.rps file into H480 Waypoint App, there is no need to change any settings but of course you can modify all parameters.
People who have done building/structure 3d scans will understand this easly, with survey mode and poi mode you can make very detailed 3D scans.

Last edited:
Hi there pilots.
While waiting for new batteries for my H, i'm working on this little converter which will help me with Waypoint mode missions for mapping.

What is RPS file?
RPS is file generated by Waypoint app, it contains data in JSON objects.

What my app is doing?
My converter generates KML file for quick review on Google Earth or other software.
Also i've implemented function for distance calculation(offline with haversine formula), flight time, battery usage, and pull all possible data from *.rps (waypoint) files.
Get real mission distance, flight time and all data.
Fast review your mission in 3D with KML file on Google Earth.

Why?
Yuneec Waypoint app can't tell you distance or flight time, using Waypoint mode in H480/H920 for mapping is a bit tricky but i'm trying to make it easier :)
This topic will some day become a part of Ultimate free mapping tutorial for H480 where i'll try to cover all possible subjects.

What's next?
All data in KML waypoints descriptions
Warnings system for survey missions (find abnormal values, find different altitudes etc.)
Waypoint matrix (graphical interface with all waypoints and all data possible to pull from RPS displayed on 1 screen)
Metric / Imperial switch
Give me some ideas if you are playing with waypoints app

Screenshots?

App with RPS loaded
View attachment 21630

KML in Google Earth
View attachment 21631

Feel free to ask any questions and stay safe :)
Hi, this sounds very interesting.
I am looking for a possibility to get a grid planner for the TH for bambi rescue before mowing.
Till March 2019 I have used hplanner.si which was perfect for me – but it disappeared.
Which Waypoint app are you using (DJI?).
I would be grateful to get some mor information.
Thanks & kind regards, Johann

Hi, this sounds very interesting.
I am looking for a possibility to get a grid planner for the TH for bambi rescue before mowing.
Till March 2019 I have used hplanner.si which was perfect for me – but it disappeared.
Which Waypoint app are you using (DJI?).
I would be grateful to get some mor information.
Thanks & kind regards, Johann
If you were using the online one, there is UAV Toolbox created by @Tuna. It is an Android app that runs on the ST16 and allows you to create CCC files like the online one, but also analyzes your flightlogs for display. It is reasonably priced and is the only app approved by Yuneec that would not void the warranty.

There is a 14 day free trial to see if it fits your needs UAV Toolbox - Yuneec ST-16.

UAV Toolbox is great piece of app no doubt, but don't confuse CCC with Waypoints/grid/survey mode which will be never supported by Tuna's UAVToolbox or Yuneec as we speak for H480 model.

pucherj
For grid/survey i used Pix4Dcapture-4.5.0.apk on ST16 or phone, now i'm using Yuneec DataPilotPlanner from H520 (working on ST16 and PC), then i manually copy the grid pattern to 'Waypoint app', i think manual placement of waypoints is better in most cases (1 battery flight, small surveys), it takes literally 3 minutes to put waypoints and make corrections - but you have more control over whole route, more time on ground preparing is less trouble in the air :)

Then i like to inspect mission in 3D so KML file is very helpfull, (Waypoint app generates *.rps file which is JSON object so i use my app to quickly convert this data to *.kml)

What is "Waypoint app"?
It's a locked mode on ST16 (under Camera/Task menu), enabled when you connect to H920 aircraft, since it's the same FC as H480 you can bind 480 as 920 and unlock "Waypoint app". Just to be clear, it's not supported by Yuneec.

Just discovered
Yuneec DataPilotPlanner saves the mission in *.plan files and it's also JSON object :) So maybe i'll be able to write another app for converting PLAN to RPS.
This way you will be able to plan survey missions on ST16 in Yuneec DataPilot app - convert this mission directly to RPS format so it's ready to load into Waypoint app (H480/H920).
Only coordinates and altitude can be converted between systems, rest of the data is useless, other parameters can be programmed before conversion in my future converter or after conversion in Waypoint app.

If so called "Turnaround distance" is greater then 0 you will get twice much coords to convert(no issue) and fly by those waypoints(big issue), this feature can't be used for H480.
Planned home point can be used as first and last waypoint so you have some more control and more accurate distance calculation, also all waypoints can be modified after loaded into Waypoint app in RPS format.

PLAN to CCC already done (search this forum)
PLAN to KML can be done in DataPilot.

UAV Toolbox is great piece of app no doubt, but don't confuse CCC with Waypoints/grid/survey mode which will be never supported by Tuna's UAVToolbox or Yuneec as we speak for H480 model.

pucherj
For grid/survey i used Pix4Dcapture-4.5.0.apk on ST16 or phone, now i'm using Yuneec DataPilotPlanner from H520 (working on ST16 and PC), then i manually copy the grid pattern to 'Waypoint app', i think manual placement of waypoints is better in most cases (1 battery flight, small surveys), it takes literally 3 minutes to put waypoints and make corrections - but you have more control over whole route, more time on ground preparing is less trouble in the air :)

Then i like to inspect mission in 3D so KML file is very helpfull, (Waypoint app generates *.rps file which is JSON object so i use my app to quickly convert this data to *.kml)

What is "Waypoint app"?
It's a locked mode on ST16 (under Camera/Task menu), enabled when you connect to H920 aircraft, since it's the same FC as H480 you can bind 480 as 920 and unlock "Waypoint app". Just to be clear, it's not supported by Yuneec.

Just discovered
Yuneec DataPilotPlanner saves the mission in *.plan files and it's also JSON object :) So maybe i'll be able to write another app for converting PLAN to RPS.
This way you will be able to plan survey missions on ST16 in Yuneec DataPilot app - convert this mission directly to RPS format so it's ready to load into Waypoint app (H480/H920).
Only coordinates and altitude can be converted between systems, rest of the data is useless, other parameters can be programmed before conversion in my future converter or after conversion in Waypoint app.

If so called "Turnaround distance" is greater then 0 you will get twice much coords to convert(no issue) and fly by those waypoints(big issue), this feature can't be used for H480.
Planned home point can be used as first and last waypoint so you have some more control and more accurate distance calculation, also all waypoints can be modified after loaded into Waypoint app in RPS format.

PLAN to CCC already done (search this forum)
PLAN to KML can be done in DataPilot.
Sorry for the confusion. The other online program that @pucherj was referring to generates CCC files so I was offering an alternative until you get this going.

Your project sounds very interesting and will be very useful for those doing mapping and such. Looking forward to success of your project.

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion. The other online program that @pucherj was referring to generates CCC files so I was offering an alternative until you get this going.

Your project sounds very interesting and will be very useful for those doing mapping and such. Looking forward to success of your project.
Thank you so much for your support, kind regards, Johann

With great help of 1 guy i've managed to pull all required data from DataPilot *.plan file.
I'm pretty sure PLAN to RPS conversion is possible, soon.

Also i see a lot of variables that can change everything inside *.plan output file and mess up conversion, so using Yuneec's DataPilot app is only to get the grid/survey waypoints coords and speed, yes that's all.

With Yuneec DataPilotPlanner:
Find your spot, choose Survey and make polygon.
At Mission start tab you have to check Flight speed and enter speed and altitude.
At Survey tab you can choose camera to get more/less grid lines or set to manual and enter spacing manually.
Very important value Turnaround dist must be set to 0, if you want to cover more space just make the polygon bigger.
Save the *.plan file (ST16 or PC)

Import to PLAN2RPS (Windows). Set few values, most of them will be fixed anyway. Export to *.rps file.

Copy *.rps file into 'routes' folder on ST16.

Run H920 Waypoint app and load your mission, check and fly... i hope so :)

Reactions: John Hennessy
With great help of 1 guy i've managed to pull all required data from DataPilot *.plan file.
I'm pretty sure PLAN to RPS conversion is possible, soon.

Also i see a lot of variables that can change everything inside *.plan output file and mess up conversion, so using Yuneec's DataPilot app is only to get the grid/survey waypoints coords and speed, yes that's all.

With Yuneec DataPilotPlanner:
Find your spot, choose Survey and make polygon.
At Mission start tab you have to check Flight speed and enter speed and altitude.
At Survey tab you can choose camera to get more/less grid lines or set to manual and enter spacing manually.
Very important value Turnaround dist must be set to 0, if you want to cover more space just make the polygon bigger.
Save the *.plan file (ST16 or PC)

Import to PLAN2RPS (Windows). Set few values, most of them will be fixed anyway. Export to *.rps file.

Copy *.rps file into 'routes' folder on ST16.

Run H920 Waypoint app and load your mission, check and fly... i hope so :)
Hi howfastyes,
This sounds like a very rewarding project and I look forward to a successful ending, as I would be interested in doing this for my roof inspection business in Brisbane, Australia.
I am will to purchase it when it is fully functional. Johnno Hennessy. Keep Flying on the GREEN SIDE of the GRASS.

Progress has been made.
Sucessfully converted bunch of files between DataPilotPlanner and WaypointApp, i'm very happy with the results - all data for Survey mode is converted with best precision.
First cool feature is also implemented, a lot of explanations needed, just look at screenshots.

1. Run Yuneec DataPilot on ST16 or PC, find your spot, add Planned Home, enter altitude, turn on and enter speed.
Screenshot_2020-05-07-17-07-36.png

2. Choose Pattern > Survey from left menu, set Camera to Manual(no specs), set Spacing, set Angle if needed, set Turnaround dist to 0, save mission by File > Save as.
Screenshot_2020-05-07-17-12-41.png

3. Download mission from "ST16/DataPilot/Missions/" to your PC. Import this file to PLANtoRPS app, default settings on the left are set for mapping. Export RPS file.
plan2rps2.jpg

4. Import RPS file generated by converter and put it in "ST16/routes/" directory. Open WaypointApp on ST16 and load your mission.
Screenshot_2020-05-07-17-27-33.png

3a. Make use of previously Planned Home point and choose if you want to make a waypoint from Planned Home position (can be none, first, last or both). Mission info is updated, distance and time increased.
plan2rps1.jpg

And you got extra waypoint or waypoints at the Planned Home position, pretty cool and very precise with correct angles. Set End action to RTHOME and whole mission from start to landing is fully not under your control :)

Screenshot_2020-05-07-17-28-57.png

Refly at 90deg for 3D digital terrain model possible.
Angle for last waypoint is calculated (normally WaypointApp always returns 0 for last waypoint).
Converted mission is fully editable, output file is byte in byte exactly the same as original one, no way to crash the WaypointApp with converted file.
Distance is precisely calculated, for angle i've used same formula as Yuneec to get same angles.
Speed is not constant during survey mission(sharp corners) so calculated time is not precise, i'll make it more precise and then battery voltage calculations will make sense.

5. Re-fly at 90 degree offset results (double grid mission for better 3d terrain model)
DataPilot Planner on ST16:
Screenshot_2020-05-07-21-15-43.png

5a. Converted to RPS and loaded into WaypointApp on ST16:
Screenshot_2020-05-07-21-32-05.png

From plan through convert to execute is just minutes if you got laptop under hand.

I hope the hard part is over, now comes the fun part when i implement new features and then live testing :) To be honest i'm not scared at all, give me good battery and i'll send my bird on mission :)

Maybe when i finish Windows app i'll buy the compilers for Android and HTML5 so this converter will be working on ST16, no PC needed but i can't promise this, far future.

Stay safe, and have a nice day Pilots!

Last edited:
Progress has been made.
Sucessfully converted bunch of files between DataPilotPlanner and WaypointApp, i'm very happy with the results - all data for Survey mode is converted with best precision.
First cool feature is also implemented, a lot of explanations needed, just look at screenshots.

1. Run Yuneec DataPilot on ST16 or PC, find your spot, add Planned Home, enter altitude, turn on and enter speed.
View attachment 21677

2. Choose Pattern > Survey from left menu, set Camera to Manual(no specs), set Spacing, set Angle if needed, set Turnaround dist to 0, save mission by File > Save as.
View attachment 21678

3. Download mission from "ST16/DataPilot/Missions/" to your PC. Import this file to PLANtoRPS app, default settings on the left are set for mapping. Export RPS file.
View attachment 21679

4. Import RPS file generated by converter and put it in "ST16/routes/" directory. Open WaypointApp on ST16 and load your mission.
View attachment 21680

3a. Make use of previously Planned Home point and choose if you want to make a waypoint from Planned Home position (can be none, first, last or both). Mission info is updated, distance and time increased.
View attachment 21681

And you got extra waypoint or waypoints at the Planned Home position, pretty cool and very precise with correct angles. Set End action to RTHOME and whole mission from start to landing is fully not under your control :)

View attachment 21682

Refly at 90deg for 3D digital terrain model possible.
Angle for last waypoint is calculated (normally WaypointApp always returns 0 for last waypoint).
Converted mission is fully editable, output file is byte in byte exactly the same as original one, no way to crash the WaypointApp with converted file.
Distance is precisely calculated, for angle i've used same formula as Yuneec to get same angles.
Speed is not constant during survey mission(sharp corners) so calculated time is not precise, i'll make it more precise and then battery voltage calculations will make sense.

5. Re-fly at 90 degree offset results (double grid mission for better 3d terrain model)
DataPilot Planner on ST16:
View attachment 21723

5a. Converted to RPS and loaded into WaypointApp on ST16:
View attachment 21724

From plan through convert to execute is just minutes if you got laptop under hand.

I hope the hard part is over, now comes the fun part when i implement new features and then live testing :) To be honest i'm not scared at all, give me good battery and i'll send my bird on mission :)

Maybe when i finish Windows app i'll buy the compilers for Android and HTML5 so this converter will be working on ST16, no PC needed but i can't promise this, far future.

Stay safe, and have a nice day Pilots!
Howfastyes,
This looks very good, you are very talented. Johnno Hennessy.

The problem here is not in the management of waypoint files - there are lots of good websites, apps and tools for manipulating route files (the H520 uses a fairly standard API for these things).

The issue is that it is not the ST-16 that "flies" a route. For both the H520 and the H480, the ST-16 essentially sends a route to the flight controller on the drone. The flight controller then follows the route. The point here is that the flight controller on the H480 runs completely different software to the H520. The H480 is only able to fly curved routes. It will fly roughly close to waypoints, but will bend the route to make the path as 'smooth' as possible - this may involve circles, big swings (both horizontally and vertically) and the drone deviating from the planned route by tens, or even hundreds of yards.

Similarly, the H520 autopilot is not (last version I checked) capable of flying curved routes. It will always fly straight to each waypoint in turn.

As such, there are no changes you can make on the ST-16 to make a H480 fly a DataPilot route, or a H520 fly a curved cable cam route. In addition, the ST-16 firmware for H480 drones uses a different protocol to communicate with the drone than the ST-16 firmware for H520 drones. You cannot mix the controllers (without some fairly low-level hacking - this is native Android extension territory, with no public libraries available for H480 access).

This also means it is not possible to make the camera on the H480 take pictures at controlled points, or specific intervals. Your only option is to select timelapse mode and let the camera run. It works (generates more photos than are needed), but is rather clunky and doesn't generate repeatable locations for individual photos on the route.

Yes it's all true besides:
The H480 is only able to fly curved routes. It will fly roughly close to waypoints, but will bend the route to make the path as 'smooth' as possible - this may involve circles, big swings (both horizontally and vertically) and the drone deviating from the planned route by tens, or even hundreds of yards.

It's flying the mission in straight lines unless you choose to fly in Curve mode. Margin of error if you repeat the mission is like GPS accuracy of 480, pretty good.

Here is proof, KML from H480 telemetry, this is part of my test mission (6 waypoints made), as we can clearly see it's making 90 degree turns without any curve. Green dot is mission start, red dot is mission end. Flight mode during mission is f_mode=33 (Waypoints) so that's next proof that H480 knows this mode and it can fly that mode (f_mode=33).
kmlfromfl21.jpg

Anyway i'm doing this for easy grid/survey for WaypointApp, try to make a 3d grid manually with 48 waypoints (last pic), it's impossible.
I'm using H520 DataPilot only to get coordinates and translate them for H480(H920) WaypointApp.

For the camera it's always better to get more pictures, i'll implement small feature to calculate how many pictures you will need/get so you can increase flight speed for less pics or decrease flight speed to get the double and use every second. It's strictly for making maps so it's not rocket sciense.

If the pilot is looking for mapping drone with all needed features just buy H520 RTK because H480 can't be that drone.

Still H480 can make decent maps with WaypointApp and CGO3+ camera, so i'm trying to make it easy as possible at least for myself.

Stay safe pilots.

Last edited:
Ah, Ok,I think I understand what you're doing - which flight app are you running on the ST-16 to control the H480? The standard software from Yuneec is not able to put the H480 into any other mode than curved flight, to my knowledge?

If you have latest firmware on ST16 you can bind H480 as H920. It unlocks hidden Waypoint Mode under Task/Camera menu. No modification of any files needed like some people suggest, there is no need.

IMPORTANT: All pilots, do not fly your H480 in Waypoint mode, it's not approved by Yuneec, not safe, not tested enough.

Duplicate genuine model H920 in Model Select menu, rename for something like H-Waypoints if you want and select this model(this will unbind any binded AC).
Put your H480 into binding mode and bind as you always do under System settings / Bind menu.
From now you have hidden Waypoint mode.

Screenshot_2020-05-09-00-11-20.png
Screenshot_2020-05-09-00-14-16.png

People will talk about safety now. I'll tell them again: H480 and H920 got the same flight controller. Flying H480 binded as H920 is the same safety level. Period.

Edit:
Progress made:
-RPS export done
-KML export done
-Metric/Imperial done
-Precise time/distance caluclations done (included all altitude differences and corners slow down, also home-mission-home distance)

Converter is fully functional

To do:

-Mission splitter (split big *.plan mission into few small ones and export multiple *.rps files)
-Battery voltage precise calculations (battery capacity can be set for more precision)
-Land at planned home waypoint or land close to ST16 (will be explained when finished)
-Perfect POI mode with waypoints and curved mode (planned on DataPilot, converted with PLAN2 and executed on WaypointApp)
-Android version (maybe)

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyVidTek
Wow!! Howfastyes, you are doing an amazing job here, keep forward please, its very impressive, i m looking forward to see the final program.

Best wishes, and good luck

Perfect POI mode progress:
KML export - done
POI RPS export - done
Set distance, Set altitude, Set speed - done
POI height - done

Left to do:
Check what we can do more in air (depend on how much control of camera we will get during this mode)

I don't know how aircraft and camera will behave in Waypoint POI mode, need to be tested.

Soon my new battery will arrive and i hope it will perform good because second fly will be testing this mode :)

Here is KML export of example POI at 120 meters alt, 100 meters radius and 10km/h speed. Just for test.
Mission planned with 3 clicks with DataPilot mission planner, really easy.
All waypoints are generated automatically by my app, we can do 360 waypoints, 1 every each degree :) Here is small sample of 12 without home waypoint.

ppoi.jpg

ppoi2.jpg

Converted with PLAN2 and loaded into H480 Waypoint app, ready to fly:

Screenshot_2020-05-17-09-37-35.png

Working for any distance, i'll finish this feature today, gonna fly now with my last working battery, can't sit and watch anymore. :)

EDIT2:
Just finished test flight, screenshot will tell you everything :)

Output of my PLAN2 app. Fully automatic coordinates calculation.
POI_TEST1_KML.jpg

Output with telemetry together, nice precision (15 sats for aircraft during flight, 13 or 14 for ST16)
POI_TEST1_LOG.jpg

Pure telemetry
POI_TEST1_LOG_tele_clear.jpg

Screenshot of Waypoint App during flight, camera under drone control, keeping POI pretty good (i'm very surprised and excited)
Screenshot_2020-05-17-09-13-42.png

Good news: Full precision is achieved, if you know what you are doing - it's safe (it's my opinion, you can disagree)

Bad news: I ****** up something and camera didn't took any pictures :( Maybe because brand new SD card which i forgot to format before first use, or programmed action "Take photo" at each waypoint won't work for CGO3+.

I was so excited and focused on aircraft so i forgot to take pictures manually to confirm camera and SD card are working good :( Soon i will confirm all possible functions.
Edit3: We won't be able to take pictures/video automatically, we must take picture manually, record a video or run a timelapse.

Anyway for me it's huge progress, i'm very happy. And this was my crashed drone repaired just 2 days ago :) He's all right, i'm proud of him :)

BTW. Survey missions are fully functional, when my battery arrive you will see nice spam in this topic.

After i finish POI mode, app will be released for testing, then i will do a mission splitter and fix all issues if any found.
Stay safe Pilots.

Last edited:
Hi Howfastyes,
It looks like all the pieces of the puzzle are fitting together, very talented. Looking forward to the end results. Johnno Hennessy.

Reactions: howfastyes
Thanks John.

POI mode almost done, i've made some major changes, i think core of poi mode is done, workflow is really easy, soon first post will be updated with complete instruction and faq.
I hope you all understand this mode is not for cinematic shots, it's strictly for structure/building scans where we need control over speed and hover on each waypoint.

POI Workflow:

1. Select ROI from left menu, click on your point of interest, set Planned home point. Save *.plan file. Done.
poi_test1_datapilot.jpg

PLAN2 converter:
2. Select POI MODE and load your *.plan file, set all parameters, export KML file, export RPS file. Done.
POI_TEST1.jpg

Google Earth Web:
3. Review your KML file in Google Earth Web, make sure it's safe and all data is correct. Done.
POI_TEST1_KML.jpg

H480 Waypoint App:
4. Copy *.rps file on ST16 and load it into Waypoint App. Ready to fly.
Screenshot_2020-05-21-15-39-41.png
Notice Waypoint 20 is faceing North instead of POI, this is Waypoint App bug, data is good, camera will face East (POI) but visual representation of this waypoint will be North. This has no affect on how the aircraft and camera will behave. It always happens for East and West waypoints, do not worry, just ignore.

After loading *.rps file into H480 Waypoint App, there is no need to change any settings but of course you can modify all parameters.
People who have done building/structure 3d scans will understand this easly, with survey mode and poi mode you can make very detailed 3D scans.

If you have any questions just ask, do you think this mode will be usefull for you? Do you understand how it works or it's mystery? :)

Stay safe and cool Pilots.

Last edited:
Hi Howfastyes,
You really live up to your name ( HOW FAST YES ), this is looking very good for everybody. I am following with great interest. I have a couple of spare H's to try it out on when you have a complete functioning system. Johnno Hennessy.

Reactions: WernerJB
My advice for pilots who want to use H480 for survey missions will be: learn how DataPilot and WaypointApp work, if you really want to fly in Waypoint mode you have to practice with this mode on your own to better understand workflow of using this apps together.

First survey mission with orthophoto map results, successful!

Today i've tested converter for Survey mode and went airborn with fresh Chineese battery (RIP) :(
Anyway, mission planned time(calculated) was 3:46, real time in Waypoint Mode was 4:34 so i need some more work, telemetry data will be very helpful from now.

This is part of the Survey mode workflow, to be updated in first post.

1. DataPilot, choose Survey Mode, mark the area of survey, set Altitude and Speed (Mission Start Tab). Go to Survey Tab and set Angle for best flight path, set Turnaround Dist. to 0 and play with Side Lap for more/less resolution. Front lap is defined by timelapse speed so we can change it only by slowing down or speeding up whole flight. Save *.plan file.

SURVEY_DATAPILOT1.jpg SURVEY_DATAPILOT2.jpg

2. PLAN2, choose Survey Mode, load your *.plan file. Save KML and Save RPS files.
SURVEY_PLAN2_realtime_4_34.jpg

3. KML, check consistency and make sure it's safe, as you planned.
SURVEY_KML.jpg

4. Waypoint App during mission, just to be clear - i've set camera to Photo mode and Timelapse mode before i switch to Waypoint app.
Planned home is my first and last waypoint, after mission start you can press Photo Button to start the timelapse but funny thing you can't stop it until you switch to H480 flight control app. I've switched between apps when airborn and it seems to be safe but there is no need to do so at all. After mission is finished, you gain full control of the aircraft and camera (still can't turn off Timelapse), you can land manually if you didn't planned auto landing and then after motors shut down you can switch back to H480 mode. Sound little complicated but it's not. Every pilot should practice with Waypoint App before doing any survey missions.

Screenshot_2020-05-22-17-13-07.png Screenshot_2020-05-22-17-14-40.png

5. Telemetry from this flight, not much to say, looks good, isn't it?
SURVEY_TELE.jpg

6. Orthophoto

I won't be able to test the features for some time, i have little problem with batteries :(

Stay safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval