Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Waiting and Excited

Reaction score
Just bought my Q waiting for it to get here. Read a lot, hope I made the right decision. Had a quick question, does the quad fly without the camera and gimbal, with no problems? Would like a bit more practice without putting that expensive piece of hardware in jeopardy. What's the general summary, is it a trustworthy machine? I sure hope so just dropped $900 bucks.

Reactions: olddog58vette
Just bought my Q waiting for it to get here. Read a lot, hope I made the right decision. Had a quick question, does the quad fly without the camera and gimbal, with no problems? Would like a bit more practice without putting that expensive piece of hardware in jeopardy. What's the general summary, is it a trustworthy machine? I sure hope so just dropped $900 bucks.
Yes your Q will fly without the camera, but that kinda defeats the purpose of buying a $900.00 drone. In my opinion fly with the camera on and use it as a training aid.

Here's a word from experience; I know you can't wait for that brown truck to pull up and drop off your Q, and dive right in; trust me the best thing you can do to minimize anything from happening is to take your time, and learn your Q. While you're waiting watch some videos (informative ones not stupid risk taking, crash videos) although you can learn a lot from stupidity, just don't let it be your own. Read as many post here on the forum, both past and present. Treat the forum as a F.A.Q. solution site. Learn as much as you can before it arrives. Then when you finally receive it observe and learn every aspect of whats included with your Q. (the case, the props, the batteries, the charger, the controller, the steady grip, the sun shade, etc.) the more you learn before hand the less questions you'll have when it arrives, and the less avoidance of possibly buying more props, or paying for damage repair, or even losing your drone altogether.

When you're finally ready to take that flight find a nice big open area (no obstacles), and learn to fly using your monitor it'll help train, and boost your confidence a lot quicker. Most would say to fly in smart mode, or use the return to home (RTH) feature, but to a newbie these modes can become quite confusing if you don't know, and understand the full process on how to use them.

I could go a lot more into detail on things I've mentioned, but you got a little time to do some homework. I'm sure you will have further questions, and that's what we're here for....patience grasshopper patience...you will up and flying soon...keep us posted!

Reactions: Timothy Smalley
Certainly not a bad idea to fly without the camera and gimbal as that tends to be the most easily damaged part if you crash or land extremely hard. I flew mine the first few times without it so I was forced to maintain visual line of sight. It helped me understand the flight characteristics of this platform vs. my other platforms better too, for example "yaw effect" when heading into wind at speed that this one experiences.

To add to the previous posters list, I'd probably add the two key points for your first flight:
- Thoroughly inspect your package and update the firmware on all devices and calibrate. There's been quite a few units missing an item or two but a quick call to Yuneec and they'll get them out to you.

- Make sure you're in "rabbit" and "angle" mode to avoid erratic takeoff. Turtle mode during take off might succumb to a gust of wind and force you're new quad into the ground. Smart Mode might cause it to rapidly move in a direction (even towards you) to reach a distance of 26' away from the controller.

Last edited:
Good looking out. All sound advice. Been flying quads, helis ect. For awhile. And love aerial landscape photography. Best of both worlds. But have never dropped this much cash on something that could just get a wild hair and fly away. Looking forward to flying and posting in the future.

Reactions: Timothy Smalley
Yes your Q will fly without the camera, but that kinda defeats the purpose of buying a $900.00 drone. In my opinion fly with the camera on and use it as a training aid.

Here's a word from experience; I know you can't wait for that brown truck to pull up and drop off your Q, and dive right in; trust me the best thing you can do to minimize anything from happening is to take your time, and learn your Q. While you're waiting watch some videos (informative ones not stupid risk taking, crash videos) although you can learn a lot from stupidity, just don't let it be your own. Read as many post here on the forum, both past and present. Treat the forum as a F.A.Q. solution site. Learn as much as you can before it arrives. Then when you finally receive it observe and learn every aspect of whats included with your Q. (the case, the props, the batteries, the charger, the controller, the steady grip, the sun shade, etc.) the more you learn before hand the less questions you'll have when it arrives, and the less avoidance of possibly buying more props, or paying for damage repair, or even losing your drone altogether.

When you're finally ready to take that flight find a nice big open area (no obstacles), and learn to fly using your monitor it'll help train, and boost your confidence a lot quicker. Most would say to fly in smart mode, or use the return to home (RTH) feature, but to a newbie these modes can become quite confusing if you don't know, and understand the full process on how to use them.

I could go a lot more into detail on things I've mentioned, but you got a little time to do some homework. I'm sure you will have further questions, and that's what we're here for....patience grasshopper patience...you will up and flying soon...keep us posted![/QUOTE

Got my q been real windy lately, got to love Wyoming weather. Looked as if some one had opened package in transit or some thing. But finally got a chance to fly. Have been up about 10 or 12 times now. Flies great handles great. Super happy with the Q. I practiced with my little ones for about six months. My advise to any one buying a Q. Would be to buy cheap quad and practice, practice, this will make you so much more confident with your 900 dollar hard earned drone. Orientation is the biggest hurdle.

Had a quick question. What editing software do most you guys use? Or what do you recommend?

I could go a lot more into detail on things I've mentioned, but you got a little time to do some homework. I'm sure you will have further questions, and that's what we're here for....patience grasshopper patience...you will up and flying soon...keep us posted!

Do I have to be in smart mode for watch me follow me. Or will it work in angle also?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone