Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why NO Typhoon Booth at Hollywood CineGear Expo 2017?

Reaction score
I was really dissappointed to see no Yuneec / Typhoon booth at the CineGear Expo this weekend! WTH? Anyone who's anyone, even the smallest companies, had booths. At least 80,000-150,000 people will walk thru that place in the course of 2 days. Yuneec's marketing team should be spanked and sat in the corner. haha.

DJI had a slick looking, kick @ss booth complete with a presenter in a floor to ceiling cage with hovering drones and showing off hand signals. Unlike my H --theirs sit perfectly still, ZERO wandering. Like not even an inch that I could tell.

Other drone companies too.. including some Octo-props that looked like they could lift a small car. Some are built to carry cameras fitted with radio control 3 axis rotational devices and 360 degree cameras. It's like everything they've been working on the last 3 years hit that show at once. GEARORGASMIC! I'm going back today I'll try to take some pictures.

Last edited:
I was really dissappointed to see no Yuneec / Typhoon booth at the CineGear Expo this weekend! WTH? Anyone who's anyone, even the smallest companies, had booths. At least 80,000-150,000 people will walk thru that place in the course of 2 days. Yuneec's marketing team should be scolded, spanked and sat in the corner.

DJI had a slick looking, kick @ss booth complete with a presenter in a floor to ceiling cage with hovering drones and showing off hand signals. Other drone companies too.. including some Octo-props that looked like they could lift a small car. Indeed some are built to carry cameras fitted with radio control 3 axis rotational devices and 360 degree cameras. It's like everything they've been working on the last 3 years hit that show at once. GEARORGASMIC! I'm going back today I'll try to take some pictures.

Do you know what that booth costs? Where is this expo? As someone who ran trade shows I'm always skeptical of of attendance numbers and also know sometimes vendors skip certain shows for reasons not publicly known. Obviously DJI has spent a bunch of money on a fancy booth that gets passed on to the end user. Personally, I'd rather Yuneec stays home and finishes warranty repairs and beta testing next products. I'd 3dr there? How about Autel? What about GoPro and the Karma? If intel is there with their inspection drone then you got a player with pockets but if not then I'm not sure this expo ROI is not high enough for other big companies.

If new companies show up with the same features as what Yuneec has been perfecting that puts them ahead of the curve? If Yuneec decided to not participate it could be because they had nothing new they wanted to market in the summer that's ready, the I would not take that as a sign of anything significant. I'd rather they get the 520 right and avoid the obvious issues they had with the premature roll out of the TH. Missing NAB or CES is another matter. I'm not sure why we should second guess an internationally established companies business practices. Let me know if you find a better camera drone at the same price point with the same or better features including the warranty and repair locations. I research this every day with all the relevant drone publications and this show is not on the radar of the trade blogs that I've seen.

Do you know what that booth costs? Where is this expo? As someone who ran trade shows I'm always skeptical of of attendance numbers and also know sometimes vendors skip certain shows for reasons not publicly known. Obviously DJI has spent a bunch of money on a fancy booth that gets passed on to the end user. Personally, I'd rather Yuneec stays home and finishes warranty repairs and beta testing next products. I'd 3dr there? How about Autel? What about GoPro and the Karma? If intel is there with their inspection drone then you got a player with pockets but if not then I'm not sure this expo ROI is not high enough for other big companies.

I agree with being skeptical of attendance numbers but I have some experience judging crowd numbers by chairing open meetings over several years and judging by the numbers I saw yesterday I'd say over the 4 days they'll hit 80K easy..

Cost: Not that much. Roughly 10’ x 10’ Booth $ 3,810 up to a 20’ x 20’ Booth $13,300 --for 4 days with of exposure.

I think I recall seeing Autel there. I'll check for the others today. There was so many rooms and alleys and streets with booths and lights flashing, things flying and demonstrations my head was a'swirl in sheer overload.

Agreed... for the $7-10K of booth rentals, custom built booth displays and pilots to demo the products,
they could produce a dozen kickass videos to put up on YouTube with a much higher number of
eyeballs viewing them... for a much longer period of time than a weekend expo.

This is an area Yuneec needs to improve/expand upon if they want to become a serious competitor in the consumer/prosumer drone market. I don't have any problems with Yuneec being a little slower bringing products to market, as long as that time is used to assure new products function properly, but they need to be telling people about what they are doing. Advertising and exposure are everything and realistically the only exposure Yuneec has is customer word of mouth and brief advertising for each new product shortly before they become available.

I truly understand why Yuneec does not participate in all the "Expo" type shows. They are generally expensive, time, labor, and travel intensive, and generally provide a lot more return for the time and money invested to the event organizers than the multirotor community in general. For some of them the fee to simply attend all the meetings can run between $200.00 and $400.00/person. National and some regional shows need to be attended but the smaller local shows not so much. I can see where the Hollywood show would be beneficial for firms providing cinema level products, or products that could benefit the cinema industry. At the moment Yuneec does not market to that level where DJI does.

Last edited:
Great. You win. They shouldn't have had a (tax deductible) booth there. lol. Forget I said anything. It was a dumb post because I should have foreseen there'd be backlash and just kept my opinions to myself. CYA.

Sorry if you felt ganged up on... you do understand there is supposed to be a "discussion" aspect to this?
Please, go enjoy the show... :)

I was really dissappointed to see no Yuneec / Typhoon booth at the CineGear Expo this weekend! WTH? Anyone who's anyone, even the smallest companies, had booths. At least 80,000-150,000 people will walk thru that place in the course of 2 days. Yuneec's marketing team should be spanked and sat in the corner. haha.

DJI had a slick looking, kick @ss booth complete with a presenter in a floor to ceiling cage with hovering drones and showing off hand signals. Unlike my H --theirs sit perfectly still, ZERO wandering. Like not even an inch that I could tell.

Other drone companies too.. including some Octo-props that looked like they could lift a small car. Some are built to carry cameras fitted with radio control 3 axis rotational devices and 360 degree cameras. It's like everything they've been working on the last 3 years hit that show at once. GEARORGASMIC! I'm going back today I'll try to take some pictures.

It can just be a timing thing. We're still waiting on the release of the H520, and there's nothing worse than building a booth with nothing to tell your customers.

DJI would show up to the opening of an outhouse, and frankly the idea that their Spark is even remotely relevant to CineGear is laughable. Their machines are rock solid in expos because they use downward facing cameras - get them above 20 feet and they wander badly. In fact once you have them moving, they entire range (including the I2) is a lot worse for holding position, especially in high winds. So... don't believe the hype ;)

It can just be a timing thing. We're still waiting on the release of the H520, and there's nothing worse than building a booth with nothing to tell your customers.

DJI would show up to the opening of an outhouse, and frankly the idea that their Spark is even remotely relevant to CineGear is laughable. Their machines are rock solid in expos because they use downward facing cameras - get them above 20 feet and they wander badly. In fact once you have them moving, they entire range (including the I2) is a lot worse for holding position, especially in high winds. So... don't believe the hype ;)
------------------------
Their machines are rock solid in expos because they use downward facing cameras

HaHaHa, Ya lets knock them for that! Darn that DJI...

------------------------
Their machines are rock solid in expos because they use downward facing cameras

HaHaHa, Ya lets knock them for that! Darn that DJI...

Lol, no, it's just a technical difference between the drones. Downward facing cameras are great if you're close to the ground - the Breeze uses them for exactly that reason. They also make demos look very impressive - if you've seen the Parrot formation drone demo at an Expo, you'll know how effective they can be. I'm not knocking them, just explaining the difference.

Instead of having booths would rather have the H520... Im now thinking in switch to DJI due to the delay on its release. T H is great but not weatherproof and I need this feature for agriculture and environmental surveys. In this regard I think yuneec is becoming more a R&D company than a "foolproof" one.

Searching the CineGear website for the names I know, DJI was the only UAV manufacturer there. It does look like it would be a cool show to visit though.

LA Expo Exhibitor List

I really could care less about a trade show in CA. Does not affect my use of the product here in AR.

Bit curious about this whole thing since,.. didn't Intel boost their R&D with something like $1.5 mil??? Not being a smart alec but rather confused by all this. I haven't kept up with all this but, so far, in my mind at least, something doesn't make sense.

Intel invested a bit more than that but the investment was directed at technology trials and hardware, not advertising. Intel provided some separate advertising. They've done similar with a couple other UAV companies, just as Microsoft has.

Reactions: jag32266

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder