Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why TH has range issues?

Furthest I've ever flown was 500m...the maximum allowed in the U.K.
Operations beyond these distances must be approved by the CAA (the basic premise being for the operator to prove that he/she can do this safely).
Can you confirm that?

Operations beyond these distances must be approved by the CAA (the basic premise being for the operator to prove that he/she can do this safely).
Can you confirm that?
A safety case must be put to the CAA in order to get permission to fly BVLOS. BVLOS is defined as any flight that is conducted beyond 500m maximum from the pilot's position (or any distance less than 500m if direct unaided line of sight to maintain situational awareness is an issue). Anyone applying for a BVLOS permission currently has no hope of getting a permission unless that safety case at least involves having observers downrange in direct communication with the Remote Pilot. Permission for a BVLOS operation is difficult to get but not impossible if you know how to present your safety case. So yes, I can confirm that.

I hasten to add, though, that I have never yet found it necessary to fly beyond 500m and, indeed, have only ever once flown up to that 500m mark just to see if I could do it. IMHO there is really no call to fly further if you plan your flights well. If you need to go further then land and walk a few hundred yards to a new take-off point, shove a new battery in and resume the flight.

Sometimes i do SAR missions, last October my drones were deploy to do a Search and Recovery of a body of a man that drown on a ***.
I take for this particular mission a Typhoon H480 pro and a Phantom 4Pro.
The way we do it is by fly the drone from one to the other side of the *** in a "S" paterne.
The probleme was that frome one side to the other was about 1.200m (near one mile) and to be eficient we can´t brake half way.
Infortunatly the Typhoon can at that specific place can go only barly half way.
So i have to deploy the Phantom, that could do the 1.200m.
I love my 480 and my 520, and for SAR missions usualy they are the best, but sometimes with specific missions they come short in range as in forrest fires were you have trees that can mess with range.
So, in my mind, the drones should have a firmware limit of 500m, but with stronger power of transmition. Also, if the buyer (with authorities certification) ask, they could remove that limit.

So recently I put my H out to just over a mile on the Delaware river. Video was choppy / crap but my telemetry was good. I got the shot I wanted and came back home mostly on telemetry, with the final quarter mile LOS / camera / telemetry. I lost video once or twice on the way out; pausing and rotating the H a bit reestablished video and I could continue.

It’s not as good as a DJI in that respect (or a TBS CrossFire setup), but good enough.

Don’t know I would push it out that far again (especially over water), but it was cool to do once.

So recently I put my H out to just over a mile on the Delaware river. Video was choppy / crap but my telemetry was good. I got the shot I wanted and came back home mostly on telemetry, with the final quarter mile LOS / camera / telemetry. I lost video once or twice on the way out; pausing and rotating the H a bit reestablished video and I could continue.

It’s not as good as a DJI in that respect (or a TBS CrossFire setup), but good enough.

Don’t know I would push it out that far again (especially over water), but it was cool to do once.
So you're admitting to going BVLOS.......

.....came back home mostly on telemetry, with the final quarter mile LOS / camera / telemetry. I lost video once or twice on the way out; pausing and rotating the H a bit reestablished video and I could continue........

So, you flew without maintaining Line of Sight and a visual fix on the aircraft.

That won’t go over well here. Plus, with people scanning YouTube videos and forum posts like this, reporting to local FSDO’s....not wise to openly admit it.

Still tongue make'th a wise head!

Yuneec advertising states range as “up to 1 mile”. Nowhere does it state it HAS a range of one mile. The advertising also includes instructions for the user to comply with laws and regulations.

As most places impose a line of sight limitation on operating distance, Yuneec’s transmission equipment assists with legal compliance, minimizing corporate liability exposure, by using equipment that does not provide long range operations.

As DJI advertises range up to several miles they are in effect suggesting users violate the law. That’s extremely hypocritical of them as they install draconian flight area restrictions in their software to limit their liability.

In any case, at 1 mile you cannot see your drone and, unless operating under a CoA that grants BVLOS operations, something I find extremely doubtful, you are operating your aircraft illegally, regardless of the purpose.

To complain your equipment will not help you break the law is a losing argument and reflects poorly on your ethical values. You might as well be asking why an Uber driver refused to be your “get away” driver for a bank robbery. In essence it’s the same issue; his equipment could do it but he restricts its use to legal purposes. Not many reasons to voluntarily be an accessory in a criminal proceeding.

TBS CrossFire is not better than Yuneec. Yuneec’s setup is a bit more complicated than TBS CF.

Yuneec advertising states range as “up to 1 mile”. Nowhere does it state it HAS a range of one mile. The advertising also includes instructions for the user to comply with laws and regulations.

As most places impose a line of sight limitation on operating distance, Yuneec’s transmission equipment assists with legal compliance, minimizing corporate liability exposure, by using equipment that does not provide long range operations.

As DJI advertises range up to several miles they are in effect suggesting users violate the law. That’s extremely hypocritical of them as they install draconian flight area restrictions in their software to limit their liability.

In any case, at 1 mile you cannot see your drone and, unless operating under a CoA that grants BVLOS operations, something I find extremely doubtful, you are operating your aircraft illegally, regardless of the purpose.

To complain your equipment will not help you break the law is a losing argument and reflects poorly on your ethical values. You might as well be asking why an Uber driver refused to be your “get away” driver for a bank robbery. In essence it’s the same issue; his equipment could do it but he restricts its use to legal purposes. Not many reasons to voluntarily be an accessory in a criminal proceeding.
Same as battery times, it's all ideal conditions and limitations. How many cars can comply with the official fuel figures.

Comes down to individual perception. Some will see a thing listed as a possibility as being a functional absolute. Their command of language is a bit limited.

Many also, either intentionally or intentionally, think that where something is said could be done construe that to mean because it could, it should be done. Perhaps that’s a residual effect of deceptive advertising and marketing conditioning. Then you have the sector that don’t care a twit about laws or safety, or anything else that might interfere with what they want to do.

It’s possible I could run a 3 minute mile but the reality is I would die of exhaustion 10 minutes into the attempt and not be even close to the finish line. More likely I would stop for a smoke somewhere along the way[emoji33]

Happy with the distance the H can a achieve, it's just the stupid EU software which spoils the party sometimes.

Happy with the distance the H can a achieve, it's just the stupid EU software which spoils the party sometimes.
So am I.
It isn't often that I fly more than 350m out and a very rare thing to fly 500m out. I have no problems other than the landing gear/video dropping issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval